Inadequate CC Complimentary Travel Insurance

Another victim has been short changed by relying on Credit Card Complimentary Travel Insurance. In the last few days distraught parents of a 3 year old little girl who nearly drowned in Bali discovered the credit card insurance they thought they could reply on did not cover her medivac back to Australia. Unfortunately they wont be the last as some CCs continue lure travellers to pay for overseas holidays using credit cards with an enticement of this type of insurance included in the benefits. As I and many others have found out the cover provided is very restrictive.

I never rely on my CC Travel insurance, but I'm not sure it is that simple. Card had expired according to this report -

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/three-year-old-fights-for-life-after-near-drowning-in-bali-pool-ng-b88547019z

"Kawa’s parents had travel insurance through their credit card, but that card was recently cancelled – meaning the insurance was cancelled too."

I never rely on my CC Travel insurance, but I'm not sure it is that simple. Card had expired according to this report -

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/three-year-old-fights-for-life-after-near-drowning-in-bali-pool-ng-b88547019z

"Kawa’s parents had travel insurance through their credit card, but that card was recently cancelled – meaning the insurance was cancelled too."

Well if the card was cancelled then as a consequence the travel insurance attached to the card should be void as well.

I have never had a problem with using my card insurance (one claim) but I did have a god almighty battle to get a $US 100,000 medical claim paid by QBE some years back - almost three years to get the claim paid.

I also know of others who have made claims on card insurance policies without problems.

But like religion - its horses for courses and what suits the individual and if you have pre existing medical issues it becomes a real bun fight to get cover from anyone.

Well if the card was cancelled then as a consequence the travel insurance attached to the card should be void as well.

Agreed. It's not something I'd expect to be covered, nor blame due to the credit card company if I cancelled their card! Why would you expect otherwise?

Another victim has been short changed by relying on Credit Card Complimentary Travel Insurance. In the last few days distraught parents of a 3 year old little girl who nearly drowned in Bali discovered the credit card insurance they thought they could reply on did not cover her medivac back to Australia. Unfortunately they wont be the last as some CCs continue lure travellers to pay for overseas holidays using credit cards with an enticement of this type of insurance included in the benefits. As I and many others have found out the cover provided is very restrictive.

While this may sound insensitive, it's a bit rich to blame the CC company if you can't be bothered to read the PDS to actually see what you are covered for.

That said given the card had been recently cancelled they had no insurance at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While this may sound insensitive, it's a bit rich to blame the CC company if you can't be bothered to read the PDS to actually see what you are covered for.

That said given the card had been recently cancelled they had no insurance at all.

I don't think its insensitive - its exactly what I was thinking - and what I constantly think each and every time one of these "woe is me" stories come out. The media is simply making a bigger deal out of this because its a child. But once again its a "please excuse our incompetence and help us out on an <insert fundraising website here>" call. Nobody seems to take personal responsibility anymore.

Claimed for broken ankle on an Alaskan cruise last year on my CC insurance. No problems. I read the several paid insurance PDFs and compared and found for my situation not one difference between them. If my card got cancelled then I certainly would get another policy.

Claimed for broken ankle on an Alaskan cruise last year on my CC insurance. No problems. I read the several paid insurance PDFs and compared and found for my situation not one difference between them. If my card got cancelled then I certainly would get another policy.

Quite so.

We've claimed twice when having to return to Australia mid cruise because of family emergencies. Was paid on full both times, albeit with some hassle on one claim. However, as others have mentioned, we did actually read the brochure to find out what was covered, what was not, age limits, etc. Notably, different banks require different spend amounts to be covered. Keep the statement which shows when the initial deposit was paid. And yes, I read the section that said the card had to still be in use at the time of the claim. That seemed pretty obvious to us anyway. It would be like claiming on house insurance after the policy had expired.

Yes, read the PDS. If it's not right for you, buy travel insurance that is.

The problem with the complimentary travel insurance through my Citibank CC was that it is not "activated" until you have the "tickets". It does not cover cancellation for anything prepaid such as deposits, prepaid excursions and the like but it is not clearly stated. Also I have read BOTH the insurance company's policy documents for purchased insurance and complimentary insurance and they have very slight differences which are barely noticeable, but they are there. As I discovered too late.

Sadly I read this morning the little girl medevac'd from Bali has had her life support turned of. RIP little tacker.

We use the ANZ Platinum CC travel insurance. Made one claim no problems. Just make sure if you rely on it for travel, get the latest edition policy booklet from your bank and read it !!!:cool:

Mine is 'activated as I just paid for our business class airfares for next year on it. Plus cruise deposits of course.

WE have a Jetstar Platinum Mastercard (Macquarie Bank) and we are covered from the minute we pay for a cruise. I called them a few days ago because we are taking a tour of Inda (not a cruise) and if we pay via Paypal with payment coming from our credit card we are still fully covered.

No matter what travel insurance you have you should take a copy of the PDS and contact details with you.

WE have a Jetstar Platinum Mastercard (Macquarie Bank) and we are covered from the minute we pay for a cruise. I called them a few days ago because we are taking a tour of Inda (not a cruise) and if we pay via Paypal with payment coming from our credit card we are still fully covered.

No matter what travel insurance you have you should take a copy of the PDS and contact details with you.

I just checked it out, cause I'm always looking for good complimentary credit card insurance, unfortunately for me, it only covers trips up to 30days and also the full amount must be paid on the card, so it wouldn't cover you if only a deposit is paid.

Would be ok, for shorter trips and once paid in full....

I have a Westpac cc obtained solely due to their travel insurance. I did use my cba diamond previously but they have changed underwriters and now charge about $195 for pre existing cover, wheras westpac id $45. I cant recall if it is 195 of 198 but certainly too much when I travel 3 or 4 times a year. Haven't had to claim and as always we never really know how good insurance is until making a claim. I do have the PDS and take it with me, have read it cover to cover and hopefully understand it.

If I have an insurance query I prefer to email the company so I have written reply rather than telephone answers.

Our credit card (Amex Blue), like so many credit cards, has limited travel insurance coverages so we always buy travel insurance directly from an actual travel insurance provider which has far more benefits. We found GENERALI Travel Insurance worked as primary/secondary with Amex on a recent claim. We did not have to get involved in the process after we filed with GENERALI https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/travel-resources/why-credit-cards-not-good-for-travel-insurance.html they handled it.

I have a Westpac cc obtained solely due to their travel insurance. I did use my cba diamond previously but they have changed underwriters and now charge about $195 for pre existing cover, wheras westpac id $45. I cant recall if it is 195 of 198 but certainly too much when I travel 3 or 4 times a year. Haven't had to claim and as always we never really know how good insurance is until making a claim. I do have the PDS and take it with me, have read it cover to cover and hopefully understand it.

If I have an insurance query I prefer to email the company so I have written reply rather than telephone answers.

i have a gold St George Visa card and i have a pre existing illness and i got cover for $75 extra over the phone but if i wanted to do the online quote it was $45 and they use QBE