RCI Radiance Brisbane grain terminal

We are going on a Queensland cruise on Radiance of the Seas in April and were wondering how they handle the port location in Brisbane. From all the information I can find the ship will dock at the grain port on Fishermans Island which is a fair distance from the city with no public transport. If we just want to head into Brisbane for the day to do our own thing do RCI provide a shuttle service? Also is there a cost for this?

Thanks for any help :)

We are going on a Queensland cruise on Radiance of the Seas in April and were wondering how they handle the port location in Brisbane. From all the information I can find the ship will dock at the grain port on Fishermans Island which is a fair distance from the city with no public transport. If we just want to head into Brisbane for the day to do our own thing do RCI provide a shuttle service? Also is there a cost for this?

Thanks for any help :)

Usually there is a shuttle service. It is about a 45 minute drive to the centre of the city. I have heard that the cost is $20. There is no public transport from the Grain Terminal but there would be taxis available. You could get a taxi to the closest CityCat (ferry) terminal. That is at Balmoral, about two-thirds of the way to the centre of the city. My guess is that a taxi to there would cost $50 or so.:)

I thought that prices were US$26/person - though may have confused that with another line. However, prices will be in USD, and organised through the ship.

As above, there are only taxis at the terminal apart from the shuttle, and no public transport nearby.

I thought that prices were US$26/person - though may have confused that with another line. However, prices will be in USD, and organised through the ship.

As above, there are only taxis at the terminal apart from the shuttle, and no public transport nearby.

The price you mention is probably correct. The $20 is on Princess, although I realise the OP will not be on Princess. I mentioned a price to give a "ball-park" and to indicate that the shuttle will not be free. :)

Here's a tip. We prepaid $75 per person on board for a round trip from the grain terminal to Brisbane. I was with my husband and 16 y/o daughter on the Radiance. So many people paid nothing and no tickets were ever checked that I felt really ripped off. Just board the buses!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the help, guess we will see exactly how much and if its worth a taxi to the nearest ferry terminal... all depends if they charge full price for our 3 year old! There will be 3 adults and her so if they do a taxi might be the way to go. Also a friend suggested organising an Uber, not sure if they could get into the port facility though?

We are also stopping in Newcastle which again is at a commercial port but very close to the city. Not sure if we can just walk out of if they have to provide a shuttle being a working port area?

Thanks for the help, guess we will see exactly how much and if its worth a taxi to the nearest ferry terminal... all depends if they charge full price for our 3 year old! There will be 3 adults and her so if they do a taxi might be the way to go. Also a friend suggested organising an Uber, not sure if they could get into the port facility though?

We are also stopping in Newcastle which again is at a commercial port but very close to the city. Not sure if we can just walk out of if they have to provide a shuttle being a working port area?

Uber would be able to get into the port area, but you might have another problem. Because the Grain Terminal is out of the way, there might not be Uber vehicles nearby. My daughter lives on the outskirts of Brisbane, and often books an Uber vehicle, but they never turn up. :( Maybe you could start by booking an Uber car and if that doesn't work, you could go for a taxi.

Please just try getting off and boarding the shuttles.

The problem is if they are checking tickets that:

a) it makes you look dishonest

b) may mean you have to get off, go back and get them from shore excursions wasting time (even if you have to get off and they issue them nearby still takes time).

Uber would be able to get into the port area, but you might have another problem. Because the Grain Terminal is out of the way, there might not be Uber vehicles nearby. My daughter lives on the outskirts of Brisbane, and often books an Uber vehicle, but they never turn up. :( Maybe you could start by booking an Uber car and if that doesn't work, you could go for a taxi.

Yes, even in Sydney they can be difficult to get. As the grain terminal is remote, I doubt there'd be many operating nearby. Worth a try if it suits you, but I wouldn't make my plans based on them.

Each time we have cruised into Newcastle, the city supplies shuttle buses free. They drop off at Queen's Wharf in the city.

There are some nice cafes, a free museum nearby and if it's open the old Fort Scratchley above Nobbys Beach.

If you like walking, walk along the foreshore to the ocean, past Nobby's Beach and south then past the Newcastle Baths to Newcastle Beach. Very nice walk.

If you are super keen and like hills, continue along, turn left at the police station, over the hill to the pretty King Edward Park , follow the road through to the top, left turn follow this road until the Anzac Memorial Bridge Walk to Bar Beach - spectacular. Or catch a taxi.

There are volunteers at the terminal who hand out maps - might help you more than my directions.

And don't forget the sailaway, on each cruise when we have been there we get the cannon salute from Fort Scratchley on arrival or departure.

Each time we have cruised into Newcastle, the city supplies shuttle buses free. They drop off at Queen's Wharf in the city.

There are some nice cafes, a free museum nearby and if it's open the old Fort Scratchley above Nobbys Beach.

If you like walking, walk along the foreshore to the ocean, past Nobby's Beach and south then past the Newcastle Baths to Newcastle Beach. Very nice walk.

If you are super keen and like hills, continue along, turn left at the police station, over the hill to the pretty King Edward Park , follow the road through to the top, left turn follow this road until the Anzac Memorial Bridge Walk to Bar Beach - spectacular. Or catch a taxi.

There are volunteers at the terminal who hand out maps - might help you more than my directions.

And don't forget the sailaway, on each cruise when we have been there we get the cannon salute from Fort Scratchley on arrival or departure.

Sounds great but it is weather dependent. When I am in that area, I just have the Hunter calling and I just have to listen.:D

Thanks for the help everyone and the great info on Newcastle :)

Might just see how much the shuttles in Brisbane cost and make our decision whether to taxi or not based on that.

Even if it is $25 per person return, that will still be cheaper than a taxi both ways.

Can private vehicles pick up at the grain terminal? We will be spending the day with my sister and BIL in Brisvegas..

I have tried to drive into the terminal at Carrington(newcastle) and been turned back so wondered if it was a similar situation being a working dock.

Can private vehicles pick up at the grain terminal? We will be spending the day with my sister and BIL in Brisvegas..

I have tried to drive into the terminal at Carrington(newcastle) and been turned back so wondered if it was a similar situation being a working dock.

No trouble at all. My sister drove over from Kyogle to visit us. The road was well marked and there was acres of parking. Security officers were on the gate but they there to help not hinder. They will direct you to where you can go .Brisbane is very lucky with the wonderful facility they provide.

Private vehicles are allowed in to the Port compound in Brisbane for the purpose of picking up and dropping off passengers. You will be stopped at the gate by security and then allowed through to a parking area. Ask your relatives to call you as they walk off the ship.

Here's a tip. We prepaid $75 per person on board for a round trip from the grain terminal to Brisbane. I was with my husband and 16 y/o daughter on the Radiance. So many people paid nothing and no tickets were ever checked that I felt really ripped off. Just board the buses!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we were there last year on Golden Princess you couldn't get on a bus without a ticket. There was someone from the bus company standing by the door of the bus checking tickets.

No trouble at all. My sister drove over from Kyogle to visit us. The road was well marked and there was acres of parking. Security officers were on the gate but they there to help not hinder. They will direct you to where you can go .Brisbane is very lucky with the wonderful facility they provide.

Lucky to have a grain terminal as a cruise terminal? I don't know if 'lucky' is the word I would use lol