Liberty returns to port early

fdthird

It's just before 11 PM, Galveston time, and the LOS is pulling into Galveston after out running a storm in the Gulf.

trust me, they were smart. we had the storm hit us yesterday. it was BRUTAL. my friend who lives about 10 miles away from me had golf ball sized hail. winds of 65-70.

and anyone who has ever sailed outta Galveston KNOWS how fickle the weather is down there.

We are going on Liberty in Sept 2017 (research) and Feb 2018 (25th wedding anniversary and vow renewal) Fog and bad weather concern me. How often does it effect a sailing out of Galveston?

JoeRum

September is less likely, Feb very likely. winter down there can be problematic.

December through first of March is problematic.

We've been on 3 fog cruises...but it only affects the first day maybe the second and out of the three, we did not miss a port at all. One delayed sailing until 6 pm, one was delayed until 3:00 the next morning and One was returning to Galveston and we waited outside the channel for 4 hrs. But we were well entertained;)

We try not to sail in the winter, but we booked January again 2018 because it had the cheapest fares going!

We are booked on the Feb. 5th sailing on the Liberty and I am sweating about the fog issue. I have been watching the cruise cam and it seems like it has really been a problem the last few weeks. Last Sunday there were four ships in the channel at once. Two that were supposed to be there and two that couldn't get in the day before. Next Sunday would be a really bad day for fog because of the Superbowl being in Houston.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Centex

Were booked Feb 5 too. Whatever happens, happens. No sense getting worried about it.

Our Liberty trip last August was rerouted because of Hurricane Earl, we lost a port and gained a sea day. Oh well, nothing you can do so just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Edited by tonyweir

We are going on Liberty in Sept 2017 (research) and Feb 2018 (25th wedding anniversary and vow renewal) Fog and bad weather concern me. How often does it effect a sailing out of Galveston?

JoeRum

Galveston = fog and BIG delays.

We are booked on the Feb. 5th sailing on the Liberty and I am sweating about the fog issue. I have been watching the cruise cam and it seems like it has really been a problem the last few weeks. Last Sunday there were four ships in the channel at once. Two that were supposed to be there and two that couldn't get in the day before. Next Sunday would be a really bad day for fog because of the Superbowl being in Houston.

Actually the Superbowl is in 2 weeks... the same day as your sailing. Just something to keep in mind if you are flying in that day.

Actually the Superbowl is in 2 weeks... the same day as your sailing. Just something to keep in mind if you are flying in that day.

Quite right. Don't know why I put "next". That is my main concern if we have a fog delay. It would just add additional complications. If boarding is delayed by a day, is there any compensation or is it an act of God so tough luck?

Quite right. Don't know why I put "next". That is my main concern if we have a fog delay. It would just add additional complications. If boarding is delayed by a day, is there any compensation or is it an act of God so tough luck?

The cruise that departed on January 2 was delayed by a day. Boarding still took place on the 2nd but it happened much later because the ship could not dock in the morning as expected due to fog. This also prevented the ship from leaving until the 3rd. As far as I know, none of those passengers were compensated.

The Carnival passengers who missed a whole day on the ships last weekend received a pro-rated refund, but they boarded the day after they were supposed to. If you board on the day you are supposed to, there is no refund.

We are booked on the Feb. 5th sailing on the Liberty and I am sweating about the fog issue.

Don't sweat it all. You'll be on a ship and having a ball, really what does it matter if you're tied up at the dock or moving around in the water. Just enjoy it...wished I were on there...I have to wait until April!:eek:

The Carnival passengers who missed a whole day on the ships last weekend received a pro-rated refund, but they boarded the day after they were supposed to. If you board on the day you are supposed to, there is no refund.

there are other recompense...when we boarded at 6:00pm and left at 3AM the next morning...each of us was given a $32 credit so we could wander around Galveston and eat lunch. I thought that was fair and had a great time.

JoeRum

I was on a navigator sailing out of Galveston years ago where the ship was stuck in dock due to fog for 2 full days. At the end of the 2nd day they offered folks to get off and get a 100% refund or continue on and miss some ports. They ended up leaving port the morning of day 3. Its really hit or miss, the good thing is i noticed RCL is now backing into the pier which may make things easier getting out.

Last November on Disney, about 4 hours out of Galveston the captain announced the return to Galveston due to medical emergency. We went to sleep, but the next morning we were surprised to see Cozumel outside our balcony as usual.

I think they have a top speed they announce, then a flank speed that's even faster than their top speed.

If you remember Anthem a few years back, turning back is a good thing. We've been on some really rough seas, we get awakened by a huge bump. The ship's rocking and rolling, and you hope there's not a similar bump on the way to the bathroom.

Galveston = fog and BIG delays.

Weather causes fog and that is not predictable.

Some years, we have no fog at all. Other years, several times in a month or two. I can count on one hand how many times a month the island is impacted by fog. We have less fog here than on the mainland.

BTW: Liberty returned to port early due to predicted gale force winds. We had high winds but nothing close to what was predicted.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

I have wondered about this myself. I have not sailed out of Galveston yet, mainly from NOLA. We are sailing in mid May. Is fog a big problem then typically? I know the weather can be unpredictable (last week we had almost sixty degrees on Monday and an ice storm on Friday), but generally how is the weather in Galveston in May. Is it rainy, foggy? I am assuming it is warm. Around here its not usually super rainy, but you never know.

The cruise that departed on January 2 was delayed by a day. Boarding still took place on the 2nd but it happened much later because the ship could not dock in the morning as expected due to fog. This also prevented the ship from leaving until the 3rd. As far as I know, none of those passengers were compensated.

I figured that would be the case. Not really the cruise lines fault that they couldn't dock.

Don't sweat it all. You'll be on a ship and having a ball, really what does it matter if you're tied up at the dock or moving around in the water. Just enjoy it...wished I were on there...I have to wait until April!:eek:

If we get on the day we're supposed to-even if stuck at the dock-that won't be a problem. My concern was if boarding was delayed until the next day, we would have to find a hotel for the night. With the Superbowl in Houston that could be a problem.

I was on a navigator sailing out of Galveston years ago where the ship was stuck in dock due to fog for 2 full days. At the end of the 2nd day they offered folks to get off and get a 100% refund or continue on and miss some ports.

That would be a tough choice to make. Not sure what I would do in that situation.

there are other recompense...when we boarded at 6:00pm and left at 3AM the next morning...each of us was given a $32 credit so we could wander around Galveston and eat lunch. I thought that was fair and had a great time.

Just curious, did you find out about the delay and the compensation before you made it to port or upon arriving at the terminal at the normal time?

I have wondered about this myself. I have not sailed out of Galveston yet, mainly from NOLA. We are sailing in mid May. Is fog a big problem then typically? I know the weather can be unpredictable (last week we had almost sixty degrees on Monday and an ice storm on Friday), but generally how is the weather in Galveston in May. Is it rainy, foggy? I am assuming it is warm. Around here its not usually super rainy, but you never know.

Hot!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are 1 for 3 on a late delay due to fog. Typically sail in Jan.

The one we took in November had a similar 'riding the storm out' theme, we were headed into a 40mph gale so the whole ship listed a few degrees. They actually made a "don't panic, it's OK" announcement during dinner.

Edited by MichaelCMTX