Dave’s Live From Oosterdam 21-day Southern Caribbean, Jan. 29 – Feb. 19, 2016

RetiredMustang

Happy to read your posts, will be joining you on the next segment of the cruise . We board on 2/8. Will wish you a happy retirement in person. Like you we have been to all of the ports in the past but always enjoy reading about a new adventure. See you soon.

Sandy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Congrats on your retirement...the Oosterdam was my retirement cruise also..but it was out of San Diego and only 7 days..but still wonderful...Thank you for doing a live from...always enjoy your posts!!

It is really sad and bad that Internet on HAL ships is not improving. Jeff on his blog mentioned that HAL executives seem to think that the Internet is OK ( Not his words but my interpretation). Those on the Amsterdam who are blogging on the World Cruise seem to have to log on in the middle of the night to get any kind of signal. But since it is satellite, what could be done?

Well,he internet seems to be cooperating better this morning, so I will try to rejoin the blog narrative:

Friday, January 29, embarkation day (Cont.)

I was able to test out my new scanner on the On Location and some other papers. The scanner will take a bit of practice, but my first attempts weren’t bad. And, the results are more readable than regular photos. It will only take a maximum size of a letter-sized piece of paper, so the On Location is split into 6 files.

Here are the first four pages of the On Location:

29Jan%20On%20Location%201_zpsgm92zqsv.jpg 29Jan%20On%20Location%202_zps76bj7txl.jpg

29Jan%20On%20Location%203_zpsaelibpsq.jpg 29Jan%20On%20Location%204_zpszh7nauaf.jpg

More later,

Dave

Have a great trip, Dave! As you sail by the condos tomorrow, if you notice a lot of air horn noise, it's for you. :D

Thanks! I went out as we were passing the condos, and I heard a lot of air horn toots. There seemed to be two sources. One I could not pinpoint, but the other seemed to be a couple sitting on beach chairs on the beach along the channel, in front of the condos.

I went out (from the Ocean Bar :D) to the promenade and stood in front of the glass shafts for the outside elevators. I was the doofus in the long-sleeved blue shirt, making the "C" sign from "YMCA" twice in succession, rest, repeat (I was trying to signify CC, for Cruise Critic.) I don't know if anyone from CC noticed, but a few people on the ship did ... and edged slowly away.

Dave

Hope your having fun Dave. What kind of Internet account to buy on board??? What were the options? I'm hoping for one of their newer plans after the dry dock in April.

The ship still has the old system -- I posted the info sheet above. But, if you are lucky, they will upgrade during the dry dock. I know several people liked the upgraded service on Westerdam and maybe you'll get that -- here's hoping, anyway.

Dave

Thanks! I went out as we were passing the condos, and I heard a lot of air horn toots. There seemed to be two sources. One I could not pinpoint, but the other seemed to be a couple sitting on beach chairs on the beach along the channel, in front of the condos.

I went out (from the Ocean Bar :D) to the promenade and stood in front of the glass shafts for the outside elevators. I was the doofus in the long-sleeved blue shirt, making the "C" sign from "YMCA" twice in succession, rest, repeat (I was trying to signify CC, for Cruise Critic.) I don't know if anyone from CC noticed, but a few people on the ship did ... and edged slowly away.

Dave

Didn't see you. :(

Enjoy your cruise and retirement! Congratulations! The weather certainty made you work for it but now you are looking at HMC! You always did a wonderful job with printed documents but the scanner really is very clear, like I was holding the On Location myself.

Now I am depressed...but we are getting above freezing today so I will be happy with small victories although there is plenty of snow and ice about.

thanks for doing another live thread. Too bad there is no unlimited Internet option.