Dave’s Live From Oosterdam 21-day Southern Caribbean, Jan. 29 – Feb. 19, 2016

RetiredMustang

Dave,

You can't imagine how thrilled I am to have found you here on CC! We booked this cruise months ago and just before we were due to send in our finale payment DH had a heart problem which we were unsure if he would need surgery (again) so we sadly had to cancel. Good news is that he didn't need any surgery and all is good. We were so looking forward to cruising on the Oosterdam and escaping winter here in NJ. I will be cruising with you vicariously and so look forward to your everyday day account on your retirement celebration and journey into the sunshine & Caribbean. Have a great cruise and say hello at the Meet & Greet to all the roll call folks from Tika.

Great work with the scanner! Mine is a stick type without a feeder, and despite years of practice, your scans are already straighter than mine. :) We were the air horn from the indeterminate location. When we toot from the balcony, there's a fair amount of echo between all the buildings, the glass balcony railing, etc.

Thanks again for posting your live froms. - And congratulations on your retirement!

Looking forward to your blog, as we will be doing the 21 day starting the 19th. As you are disembarking and we are boarding we will be sure to say hi.:) Enjoy your cruise and retirement. It is great for the first year then it is time to find a part time job, very part time,:D to keep oneself occupied.

O.K, a post to wrap up Jan. 29.

Friday, January 29, embarkation day (Cont.)

We went to boat drill at 3:15. They were using the check-in with the clipboard holder, and then they shouted room numbers. After several cycles, there was still a cabin not represented. We heard later that the occupants had been put ashore, but that may have just been a rumor.

We then went to the Ocean Bar for drinks before dinner, punctuated by my trip outside as we passed the condos to wave to POA1 et al. We got the Explore 4 promo when we booked the cruise, so we have Signature Beverage Cards for the first time.

At early fixed dinner, we discovered that we have a two-top on the rail, which was a bonus. Not so happy though, was that there was no prime rib on the menu! Oh well, no doubt, it will be served at some point during the cruise.

Here is the dinner and dessert menu:

Starters – Soups – Salads

* Calypso Shrimp Cocktail – mustard-Calypso sauce

* Captain’s Antipasto Plate – country pate, Bresaola beef, Coppa pork, Prosciutto, Sicilian-roasted vegetable salad

* Seared Scallop – bacon, tomato, avocado puree, vanilla-scented vinaigrette

* Roasted Shallot and Butternut Squash Soup – red beet crisps

* Chicken and Callaloo Soup – butternut squash, garlic, thyme, toasted coconut

* Chilled Pear, Cucumber and Melon Gazpacho – pineapple juice, basil, mint, rice wine vinegar, jalapeno peppers

* Chopped Farmer’s Salad – romaine, red onion, green olives, tomato, cucumber, green beans, apple, organic seed mix

Holland America Line Signatures

* French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

* Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

* Spaghetti Caponata – eggplant, olives, tomato, garlic, bell pepper, capers, basil, toasted pine nuts, Paremsan cheese

* Salad Nicoise – mixed greens, green beans, steamed potatoes, cucumber, tomato, onion, olives, vinaigrette

* Seared Scarlet Snapper with Island Fruit Salsa – corn medly, wild rice pilaf

* Grilled-Herb Strip Loin Steak – caramelized red onions, sautéed mustard greens, parsnip mash

* Apple Cider-Brined Pork Chop with Cherry-Raisin Chutney – sweet corn polenta, sautéed green beans with shallots

*Roaster Chicken with Sausage Cornbread Stuffing – roasted vegetables with apple wook smoked bacon, green beans, apple cider chicken gravy

* Eggplant Cannelloni Parmigiano – asparagus risotto

* Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic cherry tomatoes

* Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

* Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa loaf, heb roasted vegetables, jus

Desserts

* Chocolate Caramel Tart – curshed honeycomb, tuile cookie

* Key Lime Pie – whipped cream, mango sauce

* Crème Brulee – vanilla-scented custard, warm vanilla sauce

* Banana Crisp – French vanilla ice cream

* Cheese and Fruit – Maytag Blue, Brie de Nage, Beehcer’s Flagship Reserve, Leiden

* Sliced Fruit Plate – selection of fresh fruit

* Lemon Torte no sugar added – lemon cream, lemon garnish

* Brownie Hot Fudge Sundae – mint chocolate chip ice cream, whipped cream, toasted almonds

* Ice Cream – Vanilla, Raspberry Italian Cheesecake, Lemon Sorbet, Vanilla Frozen Yogurt, Vanilla, Butter Pecan

After Dinner Drinks

* Mudgee Mint Cordial – Kaluha and Crème de Menth Green: $6.95

* Espresso: $1.25

* Cappucino: $1.75

- ask your serve for additional drink selections

More later,

Dave

The scanner is working great. I'm looking forward to your report on the ABC islands in a couple of days as we will be there for the first time on the Westerdam in March. I haven't made any plans but we do need to plan some kind of introduction to the islands ...maybe a tour of Bonaire and self guided sightseeing in the other two.

Was the dining room open for mariners on embarkation day? I really prefer the dining room to the chaos in the Lido!

What a wonderful way to begin retirement!

Was the dining room open for mariners on embarkation day? I really prefer the dining room to the chaos in the Lido!

No, it wasn't. There was a quite large group from a local health organization that the ship was hosting for lunch. We later saw them touring the public areas, before boat drill.

Dave

Saturday, January 30, Half Moon Cay

We pulled into Half Moon Cay on time this morning, and were joined by Eurodam. The two ships shared the large island tenders, augmented with their own boats.

I will report on our day later, but here are the first four pages of today’s On Location:

30Jan%20On%20Location%201_zps5cgrtnbi.jpg

30Jan%20On%20Location%202_zpsz1dw383c.jpg

30Jan%20On%20Location%203_zps3jfrn7ag.jpg

30Jan%20On%20Location%204_zpsrrzb5xkz.jpg

More later,

Dave

The scanner is working great. I'm looking forward to your report on the ABC islands in a couple of days as we will be there for the first time on the Westerdam in March. I haven't made any plans but we do need to plan some kind of introduction to the islands ...maybe a tour of Bonaire and self guided sightseeing in the other two.

What a wonderful way to begin retirement!

If the dining room is open on embarkation for lunch, it will be open for everyone not just Mariners. HAL has changed the rules again.

Saturday, January 30, Half Moon Cay (Cont.)

We have been to HMC for about a dozen times over the years, and never had taken a shore excursion. So, we decided to take one this time. We booked the Eco Lagoon Cruise.

We caught the first or second large tender ashore, and had enough time to wander a bit and get a few photos.

Here is one of the Oosterdam (left) and Eurodam at anchor:

Oosterdam%20and%20Eurodam%20at%20HMC_zpsqk2ar2tn.jpg

And then a shot of the ships framed by the sign for our favorite place on the island:

ships%20from%20bar%20sign_zpsedsbm81l.jpg

I was able to get a shot from the bar up the beach before the crowds came:

view%20from%20bar_zpsbw4l9on6.jpg

More later,

Dave

Our meeting place for our tour was the info booth ashore, so after our wander, we meandered back to the booth. We had expected to see shore excursion folks with the usual signs held up. Finally, we figured out that we actually had to go to the info booth, surrender our tickets and sign a liability waiver.

A while later, an island info booth person gathered us together and led us to a, basically, flat-bed truck with benches and canopy which took us to the pier at the island’s central lagoon.

We boarded a small boat with benches along the outsides overlooking a glass-bottom enclosure. Note: if you have difficulty entering a flat-bed truck of boarding a small boat, you might want to reconsider taking this tour. Also, if you sport sixe 11 EEEE (extra duck) frigates on your feet (like me), be aware that you will be squished for foot room.

But the weather was pleasant, not too hot, and our guide was knowledgable and gave us a lot of information about the lagoon of Half Moon Cay, including the history, geography and geology of the place, plus lots of info about the wildlife.

The lagoon is generally shallow, with pretty waters around coral islands and mangroves:

Bonefish%20Lagoon_zpsp8arvs0c.jpg

We also saw a lot of fish and live coral. Our guide also talked about the upside-down jellyfish in the lagoon, called that because it spends its non-moving time upside down, something to do with sunlight and food that I never quite really understood, but accepted that they do that. They apparently flip upright to move somewhere else, where they then turn upside down again. Now, I have seen jellyfish in aquaria and even in the ocean, and some are clear, delicate, lacy and even beautiful creatures. The upside-down jellyfish was none of those things. It looked to me like a productive cough. Our guide held one for us to see:

Upside%20Down%20Jellyfish_zpsjq87p0oa.jpg

She offered to let anyone hold it who wanted. It was sliming the boat, which reminded me of “Ghostbusters,” and she got no takers.

She then talked about another denizen of the reef, the sea cucumber. Again, she had a live specimen to show and offer to pass around. Again, no takers:

Sea%20Cucumber_zpsmp3sbzpf.jpg

DW said the guide must have had a very high “ick”-tolerance quotient. But, we also saw yellow-tail snapper, parrotfish, tangs and wrasses, and enjoyed a nice sunny and not too warm hour or so on pretty waters.

After our tour, we walked to the dining pavilion which had just opened. We used to eat ashore on our earlier visits, but had recently taken to returning to the ship for lunch. But, we decided that since our plans did not include the Caribbean for a couple of years, we would do the island lunch one more time … and possibly share with our normal dining companions:

Lunch%20companion_zpstwtni3va.jpg

More later,

Dave

Hi Dave---so nice to see you posting another live from. I always enjoy them so much.

I'm sure that at some point in the Lido you will meet a lovely young man named Roni. He just joined the Oosterdam for this cruise.

Would you please say hello to him from Roberta and Annette from the Westerdam Panama cruise---his FB friends.

I forgot to mention that on our tour of the lagoon, we were joined for a time by a sea turtle, about 20 inches/half-meter long. He swam by the boat and surfaced now and then, peering at us, before swimming off.

After lunch on the island, we returned to the ship and relaxed on our balcony, looking at the island, until it was time to shower and change for pre-dinner drinks.

Here is the dinner and dessert menu:

Starters – Soups – Salads

* Fruit Pallet des Artiste – Grand Marnier dressing

* Italian Prosciutto Ham – cantaloupe, arugula

* Brie in Crispy Phyllo – hazelnuts, apple-cranberry chutney

* Bacon Cheddar Cheese Soup – Dijon mustard, Tabasco

* Bourbon Street Chicken Gumbo Soup – okra, tomato, onion, Creole seasoning

* Iced Melon Bisque – grenadine, melon pearls

* Crunchy Jicama and Mango Salad – butter lettuce, cucumber, chili-lime dressing

* French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

* Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

* Rustic Home-Made Lasagna – chunky tomato sauce, basil

* Cobb Salad – chicken breast, avocado, Blue cheese, bacon, tomato, egg, lettuce, signature vinaigrette

* Azteca Grilled Shrimp – garlic, chipotle pepper,creamy scallion polenta, roasted bell peppers

* Curried Beef Short Ribs – braised parsnips, carrots, rutabaga and potatoes

* Pork Medallions – sun-dried tomato spaetzli, apricot, prune, apple

* Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy and Cranberry – apple-pecan stuffing, glazed dilled carrots and turnips, Brussels sprouts, candied sweet potato

* Chile Rellenos – oven-roasted poblano peppers, Monterey Jack cheese, green chili sauce, Mexican-style rice

* Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic cherry tomatoes

* Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

* Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa loaf, heb roasted vegetables, jus

Desserts

* Chocolate Fudge Tartlet – roasted pistachios

* Mango Spire – mango mousse, manpo puree, chocolate sauce

* Crème Brulee – vanilla-scented custard, warm vanilla sauce

* Pineapple Crisp – French vanilla ice cream

* Cheese and Fruit – Maytag Blue, Brie de Nage, Beecher’s Flagship Reserve, Leiden

* Sliced Fruit Plate – selection of fresh fruit

* Chocolate Delight – chocolate cake, dark chocolate ganache, chocolate mousse, chocolate shavings

* Peach Melba Sundae – French vanilla ice cream, poached golden peach, Melba sauce

* Ice Cream – Vanilla, Tiramisu, Watermelon Sorbet, Raspberry Frozen Yogurt, Vanilla, Strawberry

After Dinner Drinks

* Kahlua Koala Cordial, in souvenir glass – Kahlua, Amaretto & Sambuca: $6.95

* Espresso: $1.25

* Cappucino: $1.75

- ask your serve for additional drink selections

I had had the chocolate delight before and enjoyed it very much, so I ordered it again. It is basically a half-inch of chocolate cake with two-three inches of fudge frosting. He is a photo for Ruth, and other chocolate lovers:

Chocolate%20Delight_zpsr5jhzkwi.jpg

More later,

Dave

Hi Dave---so nice to see you posting another live from. I always enjoy them so much.

I'm sure that at some point in the Lido you will meet a lovely young man named Roni. He just joined the Oosterdam for this cruise.

Would you please say hello to him from Roberta and Annette from the Westerdam Panama cruise---his FB friends.

Hi Sapper! I saw Roni this morning. He was working the bread station on the serving line, so we didn't chat long, but I did pass on hello from Roberta and Annette. He recognized the names right away, and seemed very pleased to get your greetings.

Dave

Sunday, January 31, Grand Turk

This morning started a bit cloudy and breezy, but has cleared. It is warm as we sail toward Grand Turk. We are due to arrive at noon. At 10, there is a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet in the Crow’s Nest.

Here are the first four pages of today’s On Location:

31Jan%20On%20Location%201_zpskbgphklv.jpg

31Jan%20On%20Location%202_zpsygxfsb7c.jpg

31Jan%20On%20Location%203_zpsxik3bm8a.jpg

31Jan%20On%20Location%204_zpswyqrzxag.jpg