Noordam Cabanas

wally8

Completely agree. I wouldn't settle for a couple of drinks/snacks. I think RuthC had it right (but for some reason I couldn't grab more than 2 quotes--I thought the limit was 3?), I would expect at least a refund for that day, and assurances this wouldn't happen again.

Let me clarify the amount I would be insisting upon.

I would not be asking for a refund of one day of what I had paid. I would want a refund of one day at the per day rental, which is a higher amount than the full cruise rate divided by the number of days in the cruise.

In other words, I would want a refund of more than I had paid.

Something akin to adding in punitive damages. :D It would amount to the price the interloper should have been charged. That way HAL doesn't make the profit on their transgression; I would. If the other passenger wasn't charged, that's HAL's problem.

Let me clarify the amount I would be insisting upon.

I would not be asking for a refund of one day of what I had paid. I would want a refund of one day at the per day rental, which is a higher amount than the full cruise rate divided by the number of days in the cruise.

In other words, I would want a refund of more than I had paid.

Something akin to adding in punitive damages. :D It would amount to the price the interloper should have been charged. That way HAL doesn't make the profit on their transgression; I would. If the other passenger wasn't charged, that's HAL's problem.

Ohh, now I understand. Yes, this is much better. All that chocolate is keeping your mind very sharp :) I am going to make a note to use this if we have poachers using our space!! (If it's OK with you to steal your idea?)

ML

I'm thinking the issue stated in this thread would be unlikely to happen. That said, in November they had at least 5 of the cabanas blocked off for repairs. This was in the retreat area. It was several hours. I spoke to some of these folks and they were not notified. It was a HMC day so maybe they figured no one would be the wiser. I'd have been irritated if it was me. Sometimes I wonder what goes through the minds of management on board that they think this is ok.

cruz chic

yes, I agree. How can they allow any of this to happen after people pay for a service and then have it given to someone else or removed, no matter how short a time. It just really seems like HAL isn't interested in providing the (extra) services we pay for. I am sort of happy we only have one FCD left to use with them, then i think we will try another line. May not be any better but I can at least vote with my vacation dollars!

I am curious why you doubt it will happen though?

ML

I think that if it happened a lot we'd hear about it here or on the ship. I would hope that most "normal" people wouldn't ask to try out a cabana that someone is renting. I would also hope that the stewards would be bright enough to say no. Something went off the rails in that situation.

"It was a HMC day so maybe they figured no one would be the wiser. I'd have been irritated if it was me."

If it happens on my HMC day next week I will be upset. My wife and I don't plan on going ashore, but if it is warm I still want my sun time. Paid for 7 days, expect to get 7 days. We even go up there at sail-away.

Dennis

"It was a HMC day so maybe they figured no one would be the wiser. I'd have been irritated if it was me."

If it happens on my HMC day next week I will be upset. My wife and I don't plan on going ashore, but if it is warm I still want my sun time. Paid for 7 days, expect to get 7 days. We even go up there at sail-away.

Dennis

Agree 100%.

I think that if it happened a lot we'd hear about it here or on the ship. I would hope that most "normal" people wouldn't ask to try out a cabana that someone is renting. I would also hope that the stewards would be bright enough to say no. Something went off the rails in that situation.

You're probably right but I think a lot of "normal" people do stuff like this all the time on cruises. Maybe its just my naturally distrustful nature:D!

Dennis

I agree too. My guess is this is the day that is most likely to be poached--expectations are that everyone goes to HMC. We love to sit by the big windows on either side of the pool and just watch the water. that;s the main reason I am getting the cabana.

One last note--this will be a surprise for DH! It is his birthday later that month, after we get back, so he won't suspect anything ;)

ML

You're probably right but I think a lot of "normal" people do stuff like this all the time on cruises. Maybe its just my naturally distrustful nature:D!

I agree too. My guess is this is the day that is most likely to be poached--expectations are that everyone goes to HMC. We love to sit by the big windows on either side of the pool and just watch the water. that;s the main reason I am getting the cabana.

One last note--this will be a surprise for DH! It is his birthday later that month, after we get back, so he won't suspect anything ;)

ML

I used to love HMC. Now I get so annoyed with the tendering situation I don't even go that much anymore.

On a recent cruise on the NA, we rented two cabanas in the Retreat area -- one for DH and me and one for our son and his wife.

DH was relaxing in our cabana when one of the cabana stewards came in and asked him if he knew the older couple in our son's cabana (son and wife were enjoying HMC). My husband said he didn't realize anyone was in their cabana and, no, he did not know them. The cabana steward immediately asked the couple (who had made themselves quite at home) to leave.

Edited by ithaca gal

I used to love HMC. Now I get so annoyed with the tendering situation I don't even go that much anymore.

Finally, after all our cruises we will be going to HMC--various weather issues (hurricanes, waves, etc) have always prevented our getting to go. I would like to see it but am dreading the tendering. If we don't like it the first week, we'll stay onboard for the 2nd week.

On a recent cruise on the NA, we rented two cabanas in the Retreat area -- one for DH and me and one for our son and his wife.

DH was relaxing in our cabana when one of the cabana stewards came in and asked him if he knew the older couple in our son's cabana (son and wife were enjoying HMC). My husband said he didn't realize anyone was in their cabana and, no, he did not know them. The cabana steward immediately asked the couple (who had made themselves quite at home) to leave.

:eek::eek: This is my concern. I will be completely annoyed if people try and poach our cabana. At least the steward did something. My question is: why didn't anyone prevent people from going in in the first place?

It is depressing that HAL can't do this better...

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
add words

I'm surprised the stewards said anything. They were not the best (week of nov 23).

I simply can't understand what is wrong with people. Why would people be that rude to go in to help themselves to a cabana when it's clear its a private area? It's clear some people were raised by wolves. I take that back, wolves would be embarrassed.

:eek::eek: This is my concern. I will be completely annoyed if people try and poach our cabana. At least the steward did something. My question is: why didn't anyone prevent people from going in in the first place?

It is depressing that HAL can't do this better...

ML

...and that's the question. I wonder if the stewards were even around to see them come in. When I had a cabana in 2012 the stewards were excellent. I ask so very little of them. I never ask them to get my lunch. All I ask is that there is a glass, fruit and a plate. Also want the water on ice. That was too much for them. I wouldn't be surprised to find they were sleeping in the back.

Edited by cruz chic

Good for that cabana steward.

Can't believe that older couple had the nerve to use a cabana that they didn't rent.

I'm surprised the stewards said anything. They were not the best (week of nov 23).

I simply can't understand what is wrong with people. Why would people be that rude to go in to help themselves to a cabana when it's clear its a private area? It's clear some people were raised by wolves. I take that back, wolves would be embarrassed.

LOL--yes, wolves show more respect/better manners!! See what I mean about "normal" people? And those folks sounded like they should be old enough to know better. SMH--I don't get why people do this either...

...and that's the question. I wonder if the stewards were even around to see them come in. When I had a cabana in 2012 the stewards were excellent. I ask so very little of them. I never ask them to get my lunch. All I ask is that there is a glass, fruit and a plate. Also want the water on ice. That was too much for them. I wouldn't be surprised to find they were sleeping in the back.

I suppose they could miss someone sneaking in while they were off getting food/drinks, or the poachers could wait for the stewards to turn their backs or leave the area, then sneak in. Probably too easy to do, especially if the staff is asleep somewhere ;). We won't need much from them either, mostly just drink service. Maybe once they see us a couple of times, they will be more vigilant??

ML

• 1 month later...
Have had cabanas on all three ships. The fan was not an issue for us, but we were on the other side of the deck area, so, while we noticed the fan when we walked by, it didn't impact our cabana.

OP, only you can decide if a cabana is "worth it". It is definitely worth it to us, but that doesn't make your decision for you.

Could you please recommend which cabanas on the Noordam are the furthest away from the fan?

Or if anyone else can help :)

I am on the Noordam right now and am sharing the Capri family cabana with friends.

I have not looked at the names of the others but will tomorrow and post which are away from the fans.

I'll try to take some pictures. We are in st. Maarten tomorrow and I am not getting off the ship except to make a phone call.

I hope this will be of some help.

Terri

Could you please recommend which cabanas on the Noordam are the furthest away from the fan?

Or if anyone else can help :)

The fan is on the starboard side, and we were on the port, but aft facing, side. I am not sure how much the fan impacts people in their cabanas. We noticed it walking by.

I would also and see if there is a large groups on board. If they rent the pool area on a sea day the pool cabanas will also be closed to the people who rented them. We we were on Eurodam and the large group onboard rented the whole pool area for a function. No one else could use the whole area for the whole afternoon. We felt it was very un-fair of HAL to rent out the Lido pool on a sunny afternoon in the Caribbean.

I would also and see if there is a large groups on board. If they rent the pool area on a sea day the pool cabanas will also be closed to the people who rented them. We we were on Eurodam and the large group onboard rented the whole pool area for a function. No one else could use the whole area for the whole afternoon. We felt it was very un-fair of HAL to rent out the Lido pool on a sunny afternoon in the Caribbean.

Wow! That would NOT be ok with me!!!:mad: Do you know if those that rented for the entire week were reimbursed for that day??

There aren't any "pool" or Lido, cabanas on Noordam.

We have only sailed on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam and have always rented a Lido cabana for the week. I am disappointed to hear the complaints about the cabana stewards as ours have always been wonderful! They were very attentive, prompt, and always on hand. If we were going to get lunch from he Lido they always offered to get it for us. One steward brought us daily servings of his native cuisine to try.

We enjoyed talking with them and learning their stories. Sailing again in 10 days and will enjoy another cabana. There won't be much chance of anyone else using it because I will always be in it..reading and being waited on by the stewards!