Need Help with Venice Hotel

CanuckCruizer

Have a cruise on a courtesy hold, so a bit of a time crunch. Seeing if we can work out hotel and air cost before actually booking the cruise, to see if it is feasible. Looking at a cruise departing from Venice and ending in Barcelona. We have stayed in Barcelona before, so I think I have a handle on that, although haven't priced anything yet.

Have read numerous posts about hotels but can't really find an answer for us yet. Hoping someone out there can offer some help. Looking for a nice hotel (probably 4 or 5 star, if that actually means anything...)with preferably water views IN Venice proper. After some fast reading on Mestre - decided against it. My DH says if we are going - then we must stay on the water type of thing. Have been there before, but only as a port stop. We will be staying 3 - 5 nights before the cruise. We will have 4 large (2 per person, regular, not oversized) suitcases and 2 hand luggage. Please, I am not interested in any lectures on packing or taking less luggage - this is what we will have. Due to some disabilities, we are not able to actually "move" our 4 suitcases any distance ourselves. I have read that you can book ahead with certain companies who will meet you right at the luggage claim, take your luggage to the private water taxi separately and drive you in the car to the water taxi area (a short drive but not a fun 10 minute walk with 4 suitcases), take you in a private water taxi directly to the hotel, the boat radios the hotel ahead of time and then the hotel bellman comes to get your luggage from the dock. We would also need luggage assistance and a private water taxi directly to the cruise terminal for the cruise. This would be mandatory for us. This is a HAL cruise we are looking at, so not sure yet "which" pier they use.

Now - actually finding a hotel that has their own dock, or can be reached by land taxi, but still has a good water view/location, has an elevator, a view and does not cost a million Euros, is a tall order! Not interested in budget hotels, hostels, B & B's - want a private bathroom, a safe, an elevator and a water view (don't ask for much, right?:D)

Looked at Hilton Molino Stucky but recent TA reviews are not so good and my DH thought it was not in the area where we would necessarily want to be. We like to be able to walk to some restaurants for dinner etc. and not sure how much is around there, but the reviews have put me off and it is not that cheap either. Looked at Danieli for about 30 seconds and almost fainted at the price. We are Canadian and the Euro is at 1.4794, so it was a shock to the system.:) Have looked at TA and some other sites but hard to find out in a hurry exactly where the hotels are and most importantly, if we can have luggage assistance, from the airport and to the ship, short of calling each hotel.

If anyone has any personal experience or knows of a nice, decent hotel with the things I am looking for - I would appreciate it immensely if you could let me know.

Thanks very much in advance,

Canuck

Stayed at Hotel Torino and loved it. Very old and charming and clean. It is NOT fancy so if you need four stars avoid this place. It was worn but it was unique. I'd stay there again in a minute. Approx. $138 per night. Close to vaporetto pier and dining. We were there two days, walked everywhere and loved every minute of it. Close to Piazza San Marco. Hint: go there early in the morning while it's cool and no crowds. Very peaceful.

Have a cruise on a courtesy hold, so a bit of a time crunch. Seeing if we can work out hotel and air cost before actually booking the cruise, to see if it is feasible. Looking at a cruise departing from Venice and ending in Barcelona. We have stayed in Barcelona before, so I think I have a handle on that, although haven't priced anything yet.

Have read numerous posts about hotels but can't really find an answer for us yet. Hoping someone out there can offer some help. Looking for a nice hotel (probably 4 or 5 star, if that actually means anything...)with preferably water views IN Venice proper. After some fast reading on Mestre - decided against it. My DH says if we are going - then we must stay on the water type of thing. Have been there before, but only as a port stop. We will be staying 3 - 5 nights before the cruise. We will have 4 large (2 per person, regular, not oversized) suitcases and 2 hand luggage. Please, I am not interested in any lectures on packing or taking less luggage - this is what we will have. Due to some disabilities, we are not able to actually "move" our 4 suitcases any distance ourselves. I have read that you can book ahead with certain companies who will meet you right at the luggage claim, take your luggage to the private water taxi separately and drive you in the car to the water taxi area (a short drive but not a fun 10 minute walk with 4 suitcases), take you in a private water taxi directly to the hotel, the boat radios the hotel ahead of time and then the hotel bellman comes to get your luggage from the dock. We would also need luggage assistance and a private water taxi directly to the cruise terminal for the cruise. This would be mandatory for us. This is a HAL cruise we are looking at, so not sure yet "which" pier they use.

Now - actually finding a hotel that has their own dock, or can be reached by land taxi, but still has a good water view/location, has an elevator, a view and does not cost a million Euros, is a tall order! Not interested in budget hotels, hostels, B & B's - want a private bathroom, a safe, an elevator and a water view (don't ask for much, right?:D)

Looked at Hilton Molino Stucky but recent TA reviews are not so good and my DH thought it was not in the area where we would necessarily want to be. We like to be able to walk to some restaurants for dinner etc. and not sure how much is around there, but the reviews have put me off and it is not that cheap either. Looked at Danieli for about 30 seconds and almost fainted at the price. We are Canadian and the Euro is at 1.4794, so it was a shock to the system.:) Have looked at TA and some other sites but hard to find out in a hurry exactly where the hotels are and most importantly, if we can have luggage assistance, from the airport and to the ship, short of calling each hotel.

If anyone has any personal experience or knows of a nice, decent hotel with the things I am looking for - I would appreciate it immensely if you could let me know.

Thanks very much in advance,

Canuck

Does everything for us, will do the same for you. Matches your wish list perfectly. :)

http://www.westineuropareginavenice.com

LuckyStar - thanks very much for the recommendation - will look it up.

PortRoyale - well, I agree with you - the hotel looks lovely BUT a regular room with canal view with a small window opening & Juliet balcony is 765 Euros per night, and that is AAA rate! That equals approx. $1132CDN per night, which is WAY TOO MUCH for a little room like that - a suite with a large terrace, maybe...I think that might be more than the Danieli - cannot remember. Metropole and Londra Palace were cheaper, but not by too much.

My search continues....

Thanks for your answers, I appreciate it!

Canuck

LuckyStar - seems like Hotel Torino won't work for us since it does not have the right access with our luggage I think.

green grunt - thanks for the tip on Hotel Becher - it looks nice and is more reasonable than most others - am checking it out now.

Canuck

The Hotel Papadopli might meet your needs. It is located in the Piazzale Roma area so very close to the pier . And only 2 blocks and 1 small bridge from the Grand Canal. I don't know about the cost. I've gone by it dozens of times and enjoyed it's rose garden.

Since you have 3+ nights, you might want to look at an apt. We loved having our own little kitchen for b'fast, snacks, drinks, etc.

Post your question on the venice forum of trip advisor. There are some locals on that forum who might offer suggestions.

Edited by mapleleaves

maple leaves - thanks for your help. I have looked at Hotel Papadopoli and was going to show DH when he got home - the price is better but 2 blks and a bridge is not doable with our luggage - doable for sightseeing luggage-free though. If a private water taxi can get to that hotel or it somehow has a land entrance, which I haven't figured out yet, then it is doable.

It seems Hotel Becher doesn't have a/c or at least people are complaining it doesn't, which is a dealbreaker for us.

Has anyone stayed at Al Ponte Antico near the Rialto Bridge? Apparently it has a private dock and also a back land entrance where an actual car taxi can drop you off, so might be a contender.

Londra Palace is good but on the high side. Metropole is a bit cheaper but still, oh so expensive!

Have priced the top hotels again, looking for specials etc. and it is mind boggling how much they charge! Then, I find one that looks good, has a view and then has no elevator - which of course is needed for the luggage, so back to the drawing boards....

Thanks again,

Canuck

maple leaves - thanks for your help. I have looked at Hotel Papadopoli and was going to show DH when he got home - the price is better but 2 blks and a bridge is not doable with our luggage - doable for sightseeing luggage-free though. If a private water taxi can get to that hotel or it somehow has a land entrance, which I haven't figured out yet, then it is doable.

It seems Hotel Becher doesn't have a/c or at least people are complaining it doesn't, which is a dealbreaker for us.

Has anyone stayed at Al Ponte Antico near the Rialto Bridge? Apparently it has a private dock and also a back land entrance where an actual car taxi can drop you off, so might be a contender.

Londra Palace is good but on the high side. Metropole is a bit cheaper but still, oh so expensive!

Have priced the top hotels again, looking for specials etc. and it is mind boggling how much they charge! Then, I find one that looks good, has a view and then has no elevator - which of course is needed for the luggage, so back to the drawing boards....

Thanks again,

Canuck

We stayed at the Popadopoli, its a very good hotel. The water taxi can stop right outside the door and they have a very helpful doorman.

Water taxis aren't cheap though.

LuckyStar - thanks very much for the recommendation - will look it up.

PortRoyale - well, I agree with you - the hotel looks lovely BUT a regular room with canal view with a small window opening & Juliet balcony is 765 Euros per night, and that is AAA rate! That equals approx. $1132CDN per night, which is WAY TOO MUCH for a little room like that - a suite with a large terrace, maybe...I think that might be more than the Danieli - cannot remember. Metropole and Londra Palace were cheaper, but not by too much.

My search continues....

Thanks for your answers, I appreciate it!

Canuck

Friends have stayed at the Gritti Palace and loved it. Worth a look?

Edited by PORT ROYAL

It is a pleasure trying to help a poster who knows what they want and explains it :). Your criteria is tough since you seem to be looking for the perfect 5 Star property at 3 Star prices.... So one might need to carefully compromise. One possibility would be the Hotel Santa Chiara which is located right in the Piazale Roma (with direct access to land taxis and a stone throw from the express ATVO buses (that run to and from the airport). To get a view you have to specifically book a Deluxe room with view, but they do exist and are within your price range. And the location is very convenient since a main ACTV (vaporetto) station (docks, ticket office, etc) is within shouting distance.

Hank

Albert Bell - thanks very much for that info on Hotel Papadopoli. Showed it to my DH last night and he thought he would want a hotel in the San Marco area instead, but will take another look today.

Port Royale - yes, you have great taste!:) Gritti Palace looks lovely but I "think" it was the most expensive one I checked out, but would love to stay there.

Hlitner - Did I say I have a price range - no I didn't. Of course it is regular operating procedure for me to want the 5 star for the 3 star price as I was raised by a Glaswegian, after all:D I have been to Europe and do understand that their hotel prices are very high but these ones just seem INCREDIBLY high for what you get so that was what I meant when I was complaining. I am aware that it is Venice and we will have to cough up some coin if we want everything on my wish list - lol. Have looked at Santa Chiara and there was something that put me off but cannot remember if there was no elevator or some bad reviews or something.

Thanks everyone for their input. Still reading reviews and trying to find a nice place that will suit us.

Canuck

Albert Bell - thanks very much for that info on Hotel Papadopoli. Showed it to my DH last night and he thought he would want a hotel in the San Marco area instead, but will take another look today.

Port Royale - yes, you have great taste!:) Gritti Palace looks lovely but I "think" it was the most expensive one I checked out, but would love to stay there.

Hlitner - Did I say I have a price range - no I didn't. Of course it is regular operating procedure for me to want the 5 star for the 3 star price as I was raised by a Glaswegian, after all:D I have been to Europe and do understand that their hotel prices are very high but these ones just seem INCREDIBLY high for what you get so that was what I meant when I was complaining. I am aware that it is Venice and we will have to cough up some coin if we want everything on my wish list - lol. Have looked at Santa Chiara and there was something that put me off but cannot remember if there was no elevator or some bad reviews or something.

Thanks everyone for their input. Still reading reviews and trying to find a nice place that will suit us.

Canuck

Consider. http://www.palazzinag.com

I was going to recommend the Westin Regina Europa also. But, then I saw you balked at the price. Let me try to convince you one more way; The AAA rate is not always the cheapest rate. You did not give any dates, so I can't hunt specifically for you. But, Starwood also has the fully pre-paid rates that are lower. And, depending on the hotel, there are "buy 3 nights/get 1 free" types of promotions. What I would suggest for you is to also call Starwood reservations directly and talk to an agent about pricing options.

Also, look on venere dot com - it's a website I use when I'm looking for hotel options (outside of my employers' hotels) in Europe.

slidergirl - thanks for your reply. Yes, I do know that the AAA rate is sometimes not the cheapest, but more often that not, it usually is. I never even consider pre-paid rates due to the fact we want the option to be able to cancel if necessary. I have found some promotions if you stay for 4 nights, for example, but the prices are still extremely high for the little room that you are getting. Oh, we are looking at near the end of September next year and some hotels only have 1 or 2 rooms left already, so I want to book something quick to be sure we have a hotel.

I will keep reading reviews on different sites and try to ascertain what will work for us.

Cheers,

Canuck

The Papadopoli is on a small canal so I assumed it had a dock. You might want to email them about that, (or ask if they can provide porter service from the closest dock).

Best Western Olimpia and Arlecchino are also on side canals at Piazzale Roma so they might have a dock on property or very closeby.

Use the SEARCH IN feature on the venice forum of tripadvisor .... with the words "hotel dock" and it will pull up old threads that might provide useful information. Be sure to use the quotes. The search in feature is also handy for reviews.

Hotel Columbina, Hotel Grand Canal, Hotel Saturnia, Monaco and Grand Canal, Antiche Figure, Locanda San Barnaba, Hotel Canal Grande, Hotel Ai Reali, Hotel Savoia & Jolanda.

This hotel map might be helpful .... move it around to see other locations within venice.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotelmaps/rialto.htm

Good luck!

hotel Santa Chiara does have a small elevator but stayed 3 years ago and building work to extend hotel was going on.Last year was still ongoing-Italians have the reputation of working slowly!

We stayed at hotel Molino Stucky last year and enjoyed it however it is a very large hotel and so seems to be luck of the drawer as to the quality of view.

rooms facing Guidecca canal have best view but of course will be more expensive!

large elevators though!

The Palazzo Sant Angelo will meet your needs. They have their own private water dock as well as having a vaporetto stop right there as well. It is not cheap but may be more reasonable than some others. We are planning to stay here next year prior to our cruise. They consistently get good reviews on trip advisor. The hotel can arrange for a taxi to pick you up at the airport and take you to the Pizzale Roma area where a water taxi will take you directly to the hotel or you can arrange to do the same thing yourself which might be a little cheaper.