Need Help with Venice Hotel

CanuckCruizer

Port Royal - thanks for that - interesting!

Still in hotel h*ll - every time I find one - then it doesn't have an elevator or everything looks ok and then it doesn't have a/c! Might have to remortgage the house and stay at the Westin - haha. I am beginning to realize that sometimes you do get what you pay for. There are a number of so-called "luxury" hotels that are charging a fortune which I would NEVER consider to be a luxury hotel or wouldn't even consider staying there after a little bit of investigation (yes, you can call me a "hotel snob" if you like). So one has to be careful when searching for a hotel in Venice.

Back to it again...

Canuck

Port Royal - thanks for that - interesting!

Still in hotel h*ll - every time I find one - then it doesn't have an elevator or everything looks ok and then it doesn't have a/c! Might have to remortgage the house and stay at the Westin - haha. I am beginning to realize that sometimes you do get what you pay for. There are a number of so-called "luxury" hotels that are charging a fortune which I would NEVER consider to be a luxury hotel or wouldn't even consider staying there after a little bit of investigation (yes, you can call me a "hotel snob" if you like). So one has to be careful when searching for a hotel in Venice.

Back to it again...

Canuck

One does release the Westin has a price.

But we take the view it is a special treat at the start of our vacation. Also, consider what you would pay, as a premium, for the terrace view over the canal at breakfast, then to take dinner under the stars with the sights and sounds illuminated (absolutely magical).

Lastly, how much extra would you pay not to be totally disappointed? ;)

Wishing you success in the search for the "right" hotel.

Do understand your comment regarding "Hotel Snob". It is not being a snob, it is finding a product style you love, and wish to stay with in the future. This 'discovery' was made by us when we stayed in a Corner Suite overlooking the Nile, at the Fairmont in Cairo. After this, there was no going back on product quality.

Before Cairo we made some very expensive mistakes. Never again.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Port Royal - yes, I do know what you are talking about. We had that same revelation when we arrived at our Crown Loft Suite on the Oasis.:D

Still reading reviews - good and bad, and trying to decide. We realize we will have to pay more than planned for what we want but I want to be sure it is a quality product for that kind of money and there are some terrible reviews for some of the higher end hotels, not being "up to par" etc., so trying to decide what is best for us.

Thanks for all your help.:)

Canuck

Still reading reviews - good and bad, and trying to decide. We realize we will have to pay more than planned for what we want but I want to be sure it is a quality product for that kind of money and there are some terrible reviews for some of the higher end hotels, not being "up to par" etc., so trying to decide what is best for us.

Canuck

Do keep in mind that reviews have their limitations. I generally disregard any that are "over the top" positive and those that are terribly negative. All too often these days, guests use social media as a weapon to try to get something from the hotel when they have some small issue and the hotel is unwilling to do what the guest considers is necessary to "make things right". (I find this particularly true with higher-end hotels.)

Also, many US travelers headed to Europe on a first trip just do not understand the differences between hotels in Europe vs those they may be used to in the US..... and their reviews reflect this.

Edited by cruisemom42

Do keep in mind that reviews have their limitations. I generally disregard any that are "over the top" positive and those that are terribly negative. All too often these days, guests use social media as a weapon to try to get something from the hotel when they have some small issue and the hotel is unwilling to do what the guest considers is necessary to "make things right". (I find this particularly true with higher-end hotels.)

Also, many US travelers headed to Europe on a first trip just do not understand the differences between hotels in Europe vs those they may be used to in the US..... and their reviews reflect this.

As one who works in the hotel business, I totally agree with what cynthia has said. My hotel faithfully reads the TA reviews and the results of the post-stay surveys we send. Usually, we can tell right away which guest wrote what review. People will outright lie sometimes to get back at us for some perceived injustice (like not giving an upgrade to a suite or not having a room ready before our check-in time). Example: we took a huge hit on our satisfaction score this month due to one guest who have us "1"s across the board. His complaint was that he was here with a large group and he arrived early (noon) and his room wasn't ready (we have a 4pm checkin). Then, his room didn't have a balcony like his colleague's room and we wouldn't switch him (sorry, we were full and you were on a group block which did not guarantee any room type and you were paying highly-discounted rate). Some will write bad reviews in an attempt to extort from the hotel - saying a refund or free nights or free points will make them "whole" from having to endure a 5 minute wait for their car to be brought to the Front Drive :roll eyes:

Back to those Venetian hotels: You'll never find a hotel with across-the-board good reviews. But, I honestly don't think you'd go wrong with the Westin. Just be aware that their food outlets are extremely pricey - but you should be out and about eating elsewhere, anyway. Grab your coffee at a little coffee stand, not inside the hotel.

Check out Hotel Columbina. We prefer small boutique hotels. I didn't think price was expensive, they have a lovely breakfast room with breakfast included. Docking at front door. Of course then there is the additional expense of water taxi from airport and to pier. But you can walk everywhere else.

As one who works in the hotel business, I totally agree with what cynthia has said. My hotel faithfully reads the TA reviews and the results of the post-stay surveys we send. Usually, we can tell right away which guest wrote what review. People will outright lie sometimes to get back at us for some perceived injustice (like not giving an upgrade to a suite or not having a room ready before our check-in time). Example: we took a huge hit on our satisfaction score this month due to one guest who have us "1"s across the board. His complaint was that he was here with a large group and he arrived early (noon) and his room wasn't ready (we have a 4pm checkin). Then, his room didn't have a balcony like his colleague's room and we wouldn't switch him (sorry, we were full and you were on a group block which did not guarantee any room type and you were paying highly-discounted rate). Some will write bad reviews in an attempt to extort from the hotel - saying a refund or free nights or free points will make them "whole" from having to endure a 5 minute wait for their car to be brought to the Front Drive :roll eyes:

Back to those Venetian hotels: You'll never find a hotel with across-the-board good reviews. But, I honestly don't think you'd go wrong with the Westin. Just be aware that their food outlets are extremely pricey - but you should be out and about eating elsewhere, anyway. Grab your coffee at a little coffee stand, not inside the hotel.

A Venice tip for the well travelled, who like a different experience for Lunch.

Visit the 'very, very reasonable prices' cafe just along from the University by a narrow canal; shabby chic, eat on bench tables, no frills, but it serves good food/snacks and coffee. It's fun place to eat with students and the canny locals.

Footnote: Students all over the World know the best places to eat on limited income. Nes pas?

cruisemom42 and slidergirl - I agree with both of your comments regarding the reviews. I take each one with a grain of salt but can usually sniff out the "fake" ones so I know what you mean. I like to study the photos and come to my own conclusions as well.

Got2Cruise - Thanks - the Hotel Colombina is on the list and I have looked at it - will have to look again or show DH as now I cannot remember the verdict - ha. Will have to start making notes as to why I don't like it or if I like it as there are so many, it gets confusing.

help the juggler - thanks for the recommendation - have heard of that one, the Ai Cavalieri, but cannot remember if I checked it out so will look at it for sure.

Thanks to all for the replies,

Canuck

Has anyone stayed at The Metropole?

Interesting thing I noticed - at a couple of top hotels - a non-smoking room was substantially MORE than a smoking room, which I thought was bizarre. As an ex-smoker, I don't care, but if I had a choice, would prefer a nice "non-smelly" non-smoking room but not sure I would want to pay quite a few euros extra for the privilege! Never noticed that before when booking hotels in Europe.

Still trudging through hotels and have eliminated quite a few due to "not the right location", no private dock etc. so making some headway now I think.:)

Canuck

. ...

Have looked at Santa Chiara and there was something that put me off but cannot remember if there was no elevator or some bad reviews or something.

Canuck

I was also going to recommend Hotel Chiara since there are evidently no bridges to cross after you get to P. Roma from airport by land taxi or bus. Or you could take water taxi but very expensive and someone said the airport dock was a little further at airport than the bus or taxi stop.

We are going to stay there. They DO have an elevator.

We asked for a room in the main building rather than the annex since hubby uses a cane and walks slowly. We are splurging and getting a canal view.

Edited by NMLady

NM Lady - thanks for the info. We need a hotel that has a private dock that allows a private water taxi to dock and then we need assistance with the luggage from the hotel, so it has to pretty much have a private dock right up to the hotel. Didn't think that the Santa Chiara had that but after looking at so many hotels, I could be wrong. My DH seems to be set on staying in the area right along the lagoon, I believe it is called the "Riva degli Schiavoni" waterfront where the hotels are the Danieli, Londra, Metropole etc. instead of closer to Piazzale Roma (spelling).

Right now, looking at the Metropole and Hotel Londra Palace as two contenders.

Hope you have a wonderful trip:)

Canuck

Edited by CanuckCruizer

Hi Canuck,

We have stayed twice at Locanda Orseolo. Once in 2011 and most recently, August 2015. Both visits were for 3 nights.

We had a canal view and the gondolas went right under our window, and we could hear the music and chatter. So fun to watch! (It was quiet unless we opened the window.) They are located near St. Mark's, tucked away in a private courtyard. Great location.

Locanda Orseolo has their own private dock, and will assist you with luggage.

The service is impeccable and they really take care of all of your needs. From making reservations for dinner to arranging private water taxis, etc.

The breakfast (included) is outstanding, the crepes divine, eggs made to order. They make the best cappuccino!

Check them out on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d256241-Reviews-Locanda_Orseolo-Venice_Veneto.html

Or their website: http://www.locandaorseolo.com

They own another property that is lovely, too. We went there for drinks, and got to take a little tour. (It was out of our price range.)

I give Locanda Orseolo my highest recommendation, and if I am ever fortunate to visit Venice again, it's the only place I will stay.

NM Lady - thanks for the info. We need a hotel that has a private dock that allows a private water taxi to dock and then we need assistance with the luggage from the hotel, so it has to pretty much have a private dock right up to the hotel. Didn't think that the Santa Chiara had that but after looking at so many hotels, I could be wrong. My DH seems to be set on staying in the area right along the lagoon, I believe it is called the "Riva degli Schiavoni" waterfront where the hotels are the Danieli, Londra, Metropole etc. instead of closer to Piazzale Roma (spelling).

Right now, looking at the Metropole and Hotel Londra Palace as two contenders.

Hope you have a wonderful trip:)

Canuck

In your op you said something about disabilities. I hope you realize that water taxies are not easy to get in and out of. Hoping all works out successfully for you.

NM Lady - Thanks for your concern. We have been there before on an overnight stop off a ship and took a private water taxi and everything was fine, so should be okay.

Was going to book Hotel Papadopoli but discovered that they are doing a big renovation starting just now until all the way through to October next year, so don't want to stay in a construction zone.

Seriously considering Londra Palace but would also like to book another hotel as well, just to have a choice. Still looking for the "one".:)

Cheers,

Canuck

I'll be staying in Hotel Plaza next year for my European cruise and wondering if this is too far from Venice. I'll be in Rome for 3 days prior to staying here for the night before my cruise and was looking for something close to the train station and the port. I looked at rates to stay right in Venice, but they were too costly for my solo budget. I'm assuming all I need to do is take a bus over into the main area, am I correct?

I'll be staying in Hotel Plaza next year for my European cruise and wondering if this is too far from Venice. I'll be in Rome for 3 days prior to staying here for the night before my cruise and was looking for something close to the train station and the port. I looked at rates to stay right in Venice, but they were too costly for my solo budget. I'm assuming all I need to do is take a bus over into the main area, am I correct?

We are assuming you are talking at the Plaza that is in Mestre. If so, your hotel is a short walk from the Mestre train station where you can catch a train into Venice (buses are also an option). The bus will get you to the Piazale Roma and the train will get you not far from this same spot...but on the other side of the Grand Canal. From either spot you can easily access the vaporetto (water bus system) to take you anywhere around Venice of to the other islands (i.e. Murano, Burano, Lido, etc) in the lagoon.

Hank

We are assuming you are talking at the Plaza that is in Mestre. If so, your hotel is a short walk from the Mestre train station where you can catch a train into Venice (buses are also an option). The bus will get you to the Piazale Roma and the train will get you not far from this same spot...but on the other side of the Grand Canal. From either spot you can easily access the vaporetto (water bus system) to take you anywhere around Venice of to the other islands (i.e. Murano, Burano, Lido, etc) in the lagoon.

Hank

Ok great thanks! I tried to find something closer, but I figured being close to the train station was the next best option.

tampagirl - thanks for the tip but there are no available rooms on their website from August right through October - don't know if they are sold out or it is too early to book for next September, but I don't think so. I checked on a couple of booking sites and they only have a standard room available for our time and we want a bigger room with a view. It looks like a nice hotel though!

I secured the cruise from the Courtesy Hold now and we booked at the Londra Palace but would like to have another one booked that is cheaper and also a backup. Waiting for flights to open up now. Then have to book hotel in Barcelona after the cruise and start researching all the private tours - a lot of work but fun to plan.

Hope you have a nice trip when you go.:)

Canuck

My 2 cents.....we stayed at the Violino D'Oro near the Hotel Bauer and about 2 blocks from St Marks. We took a water taxi which dropped us at the Bauer. We walked the block to our hotel. However picking us up for the ship was easier. The taxi picked us up near the gondola station in front of the hotel. Great hotel.

Baseball fan - thanks for the info. I have looked at that hotel and unfortunately we won't be able to move our luggage a foot without difficulty, let alone walk a block.:) My DH is pretty much set on the area of the Riva degli Schiavoni and I cannot sway him - although he doesn't like the prices.:eek:

Canuck