Iceland Air or Air Berlin?

galelynn

I flew Iceland Air from MSP to CDG and was very impressed. The plane seemed new (or well kept), clean & the flight attendants friendly. Our connection was short in Reykjavik and at the time the airport was undergoing some construction and we would have missed the connection but the plane waited for us. As we were all going thru the security check point I heard from people on other flights that the planes usually wait for passengers, with it being such a small airport and every flight from the US had a connection there. This was back in spring of '01 so things could be quite different now but I do remember being impressed with this airline after flying with some of the other major carriers.

Galeylyn,

Whatever you choose could you report back please?

We have used Air Berlin in Europe and were very happy, but need to plan an international flight for early 2012.

Bon Voyage

Happy Christmas and a prosperous cruising 2011

New Salt

I'm considering both these airlines from the US to Copenhagen and would appreciate any reports from recent travelers, as well.

Air Berlin joins OneWorld in 2012. Some of the BEST airlines in the world belong to OneWorld-Cathay, BA and Qantas.

The bar is high. And from what I understand, Air Berlin will not be allowed to join until they have facilities suitable to some of the BEST airlines in the world (airline clubs, transit facilities, FF elite status perks, etc. etc.).

This would make me very secure flying AirBerlin. I am a very loyal OneWorld flier. Haven't been on an AirBerlin flight in a couple of years but if they are striving for OneWorld status, they will uphold continuing high standards.

I see nothing wrong with Iceland Air. Have flown them myself and have sent many employees to Europe via Iceland Air. But AirBerlin MAY be a better choice simply for them trying to attain OneWorld status.

Edited by greatam

We have a flight booked on Icelandair from Boston to Barcelona. There is a lengthy layover in Iceland, which we will use to spend some time at the Blue Lagoon. We decided on Icelandair because the price was oustanding at less than $400 from BOS to BCN. On the way back, it just wasn't convenient. But we're looking to a day in Iceland and the good rate. It's next August 1. Will post a review. But it's a long way away.

We finally booked on AirBerlin, there is only one stop in Germany and than straight to LAX. Price was good $283 + 219 tax for a total of $502/pp. Only problem is we can't pick our seats till check-in as we booked thru Orbitz:rolleyes:

We finally booked on AirBerlin, there is only one stop in Germany and than straight to LAX. Price was good $283 + 219 tax for a total of $502/pp. Only problem is we can't pick our seats till check-in as we booked thru Orbitz:rolleyes:

Call the airline. I did the same with travelocity and aer lingus. I called aer lingus and they let me pick my seats. It's worth a shot.

We have a flight booked on Icelandair from Boston to Barcelona. There is a lengthy layover in Iceland, which we will use to spend some time at the Blue Lagoon. We decided on Icelandair because the price was oustanding at less than $400 from BOS to BCN. On the way back, it just wasn't convenient. But we're looking to a day in Iceland and the good rate. It's next August 1. Will post a review. But it's a long way away.

Iceland's gorgeous. My cruise roomie took advantage of Icelandair's stopovers and took a couple of extra days as a stopover to do all the tour's plus the Blue Lagoon. She said it was fantastic.

On the Air Berlin-website, it states that you can check in online 30 hours before departure, irrespective of it being a direct booking or through a third party. I don't think air berlin does any pre-booking of seats at all.

On the Air Berlin-website, it states that you can check in online 30 hours before departure, irrespective of it being a direct booking or through a third party. I don't think air berlin does any pre-booking of seats at all.

Air Berlin lets you pre-book seats early for $20 pp, call them. You can look at the seating chart on line to see which seats are available. We did that for our last flight this summer coming home from DUS. Good flight, no complaints.

DON'T miss the Blue Lagoon!

We're in Ontario Canada, and so far the best airfare (cost and itinerary) has been Iceland Air for our trip next summer (just over $2000 multi-city round trip) flying out of Toronto.

I'm waiting until the New Year to book, but so far that's the best we can come up with. Surprisingly, because I assumed we would do better flying out of Buffalo New York.

• 4 weeks later...

We just booked Iceland Air for our trip back home to London after our Disney WBTA. Cost £276 per person or £500-700 lss than BA ( Preferred Airline for miles) and Birgin.

Looks good and so far decent reviews!

Will report how it goes.

Dan

We're in Ontario Canada, and so far the best airfare (cost and itinerary) has been Iceland Air for our trip next summer (just over $2000 multi-city round trip) flying out of Toronto.

I'm waiting until the New Year to book, but so far that's the best we can come up with. Surprisingly, because I assumed we would do better flying out of Buffalo New York.

If you haven't booked yet, suggest you also check out Air Canada. We also wanted to book a Multi-city flight with Iceland Air, but found a great rate with AC for $1808, incl. taxes for 2. Today, same flight costs $1868, due to increased taxes and fees.

My favorite flight ever was on Iceland Air (Reykjavik to Minneapolis). The staff both on the ground and the flight attendants were so nice and friendly. The seats on the plane were very comfortable and even in coach each seat had its own TV with on-demand movies, tv shows, games, music and flight tracking information. I would book with them again in a heartbeat.

I just booked Iceland Air for our trip in July. Open jaw from Toronto-Copenhagen and then from London-Toronto. A thousand $ less than the same trip with Air Canada. Great layover times in Iceland, and great arrival time in Copenhagen. :cool:

I am very content! :D

We used Icelandair last summer and will use them again summer 2011. The price was so good that we upgraded to premium economy and it still cost much less than coach seats to Heathrow on other airlines. The only issue was that the premium economy seats are the wider, better seats for one leg of the trip only. On our second leg, there actually are no premium economy seats (only first class so very expensive); the airline handles the issue by apparently boarding up the middle seat in the row of three and my DH and I will have the window and aisle seats to ourselves. Very strange; not exactly what we hoped for but it was the best we could do with this airline on our two stage trip to Heathrow.

Alice

• 4 years later...

We are booked on this airline for the first time next year. We always do British Air through Choice Air but this year it was $1300.00 more so we figured we would give Icelandair a try. My question - how are they for comfort leg room in coach (I have a 35 inseam - long legs) and do we have to pre-order meals? We read nothing about being fed.

Our flight leaves Boston at 9:30 pm - arrives Iceland at 6:30 am and out going to Amsterdam at 7:30am (only 1 hour in between). Will we have time to make the connection - how large is the airport and should we pre-order meals for both flights? Thanks for any info you can give me. MD

I would book aisle seats for legroom. You can order meals on the flights. With the short BOS-KEF overnight flight I would have dinner at Logan rather than a meal aboard so as to rest as much as possible. No charge for soft drinks, coffee and water. Icelandair is very organized and your connect time will be fine in KEF. You will be able to order breakfast on the flight to BCN.