Any SC residents having to cancel cruise

smokester

We didn't have any plans on cancelling unless Carnival gives us the option. We didn't get the vacation insurance, unfortunately. I'm just a little worried about the roads. I'm in Columbia and we got the worst of the storm. Flooding so bad in some areas that homes were completely underwater. We were fortunate enough to not see much flooding in our area in West Columbia, however just a few hundred feet down the road there was some severe damage to a bridge. 12106710_10153729036346095_3803523448746989687_n.jpg?oh=f65bb41ff04a5e327fe3ba3d0e1606aa&oe=569DC9F2

I have a question for any of you that live in the Florence/Charleston/Myrtle Beach area. We are flying into Florence on Friday and driving (hopefully) for one night in Charleston (staying in Mt Pleasant) and then driving to Myrtle Beach. Will we have any problems with driving and things being closed?

Thanks for your help!

I have a question for any of you that live in the Florence/Charleston/Myrtle Beach area. We are flying into Florence on Friday and driving (hopefully) for one night in Charleston (staying in Mt Pleasant) and then driving to Myrtle Beach. Will we have any problems with driving and things being closed?

Thanks for your help!

Here is real time information for you. Have a safe trip!

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/state/south-carolina/article37925490.html

rlkubi I would check "www.511sc.org" this has real time road conditions. One of the main travel arteries I-95 is closed for a 74 mile span which you may have heard already. It happens that this span would be the one you would be using to get to Charleston from Florance. Perhaps you could take us hwy 17 but not sure if that option is any better. But by Friday things could be better I am not sure how quick these high water areas are subsiding. Many areas between the triangulated area of Columbia and Charleston and Florance are known for having many swampy areas under normal conditions. Hope this helps!

Road conditions change throughout the day, so what is open or closed today, may not be tomorrow (or even by the hour). A huge mess, especially in the middle parts of the state. Dams keep breaking and the rivers have not all crested yet. I wish I had a cruise booked! Have flood displaced family members with me and I would LOVE to get away, LOL!

I do think parts of 95 are still shut down but may be open by Friday, some parts did open late today, but I do not remember where. The http://www.scdot.gov site also has road conditions.

Enjoy your cruises!

debbie

Wow. Best of luck to all who are or may be affected.

It reminds me of when hurricane Ike hit Houston. It was pretty crappy for a few weeks.. Then o got the hell out of there and went on my cruise. Made for some great small talk with table mates and new friends onboard! Make some lemonade y'all. [emoji6]

Thanks for your help!

Hwy 52 from Florence to Charleston Area is closed, due to Black river flooding Kingstree. Parts of 95 are open, but I do not know if you can get here from there yet. http://wach.com/news/local/scdps-reopen-portions-of-i-95

Good luck!

Edited by uncleg

The U of SC - LSU game was to have been played in Columbia ... but now has been moved to Baton Rouge. This sort of change is never made lightly so you know things are bad here.

You will be able to get to Charleston but you might have detours and delays.

Changes in roads being opened and closed constantly changes.

LuLu

So for those of you who live there would it be better for us to try to change flight to go directly into Charleston? We are only there for one night and then going to Myrtle Beach. I hope we will be able to get there. AA is waiving fee because of State of Emergency.

Thank you for all your help! I'm praying for all the people who died and have been flooded.

So for those of you who live there would it be better for us to try to change flight to go directly into Charleston? We are only there for one night and then going to Myrtle Beach. I hope we will be able to get there. AA is waiving fee because of State of Emergency.

Thank you for all your help! I'm praying for all the people who died and have been flooded.

If I had a choice I would fly directly to Charleston. Detours everywhere...and if you are not familiar with roads it can get confusing. I'm having to go by my elbow to get to my ear to get to work in the mornings.