Im scared about our luggage being lost

Newcruisegirl1

The odds are small. Make sure you have luggage tags on everything you give to the porters....and give them a small tip ($1-2 per bag)....and watch to make sure they're on a luggage rack with other bags....and then don't worry.

Do hand-carry ANYTHING of value...jewelry, medications, and electronics. Anything you must have before night time, bring in your carry-on. Otherwise, your things will be delivered to you!

Most will recommend "cross-packing'....some of everyone's stuff in each bag, just in case! That's always a good thing to do, whether on airlines or ships!

You have a much greater chance of losing your baggage flying there. And that chance is way less than 5%.

Once you get dockside, there is only one place the bag can go- on the ship. At the airport, the bag could get on any of hundreds of flights.

Cruiserbruce i thought the same thing.........but im still paranoyed. Im just going to board at 1:15pm and be safe and go straight to our room and have no worries ahahahahah

Be aware that your cabin might not be available when first boarding and you'll need to drag your luggage around. No idea how your ship works. My luggage has always arrived in a reasonable amount of time. Luggage has been dropped into the water while being brought aboard. You also have to decide if you'll take it off, also.

Be aware that your cabin might not be available when first boarding and you'll need to drag your luggage around. No idea how your ship works. My luggage has always arrived in a reasonable amount of time. Luggage has been dropped into the water while being brought aboard. You also have to decide if you'll take it off, also.

wait how has it dropped in the water carrying it on ??? WOW now im scared ahahahahahah

wait how has it dropped in the water carrying it on ??? WOW now im scared ahahahahahah

I think they meant the luggage they checked with the porter outside (not what they carried on). I've heard of this rarely happening, but sometimes things do get dropped or fall off of whatever the luggage is on into the water between the ship and the dock.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have a change of clothes and a bathing suit along with meds in your carryon. A good rule of thumb is - if you lose your luggage... can you buy what you need for your vacation? If not, carry it on.

If the luggage handler is in a bad mood, and your bag is too heavy or difficult to handle, he will just toss it in the water.

I believe the union rules for the dockworkers allows them to toss one bag a day under their current bargaining agreement.

your kidding me right????? about throwing into the water right?

:eek:

Get real...Of course he's kidding you! We've done about 50 cruises with RCCL, and probably another 20 or so with other lines and NEVER had a problem. The likelihood of the airlines losing your luggage are infinitely greater than them not getting on the ship when you leave them with the porters.

Just remember that there will be about 12,000 pieces of luggage to get delivered, so don't have a panic attack if you bags don't show up until after sailaway.

I believe the union rules for the dockworkers allows them to toss one bag a day under their current bargaining agreement.

:D

errr, no, Newcruisegirl, Johneeo is joshing you.

But very very very very rarely one falls off the forklift or conveyorbelt.

That apart, as Bruce says, your bags will go on the ship.

If labels get torn off, they may have to leave bags to be claimed. So it makes sense to repeat your label info inside (but never a home address, at least until the end of your cruise)

Because of the risk of an airport foul-up, we split our stuff between our cases (I get 20% of each :rolleyes:) so we can survive if a one case chooses to fly elsewhere

JB :)

Airlines will sometimes let luggage sit and not get loaded at all, and they will mis-mark it or simply put it on the wrong plane. While they don't lose much in terms of percentage, there are lots of things they can do wrong.

Each ship is on a separate dock, so your luggage will not be put on the wrong ship. They won't leave any on the dock, so that cannot happen. It is put into mini-containers, and then they are loaded onto the ship with forklifts. As soon as the mini-containers get onto the ship, forklifts on the ship immediately move them further inboard where they are unloaded and the bags are distributed.

Bags can accidentally be sent to the wrong cabin, but that will be straightened out when passengers notice the incorrect bags in their cabin, and they will either go to a central point or to the right cabin.

There are not individual handlers handing each bag aboard, cruise ships do this entire process incredibly well, you don't want to drag your luggage through the buffet line, etc., etc.

If you allow the airlines to handle your bags, then let the cruise line do it as well. They do far better.

Airlines will sometimes let luggage sit and not get loaded at all, and they will mis-mark it or simply put it on the wrong plane. While they don't lose much in terms of percentage, there are lots of things they can do wrong.

Each ship is on a separate dock, so your luggage will not be put on the wrong ship. They won't leave any on the dock, so that cannot happen. It is put into mini-containers, and then they are loaded onto the ship with forklifts. As soon as the mini-containers get onto the ship, forklifts on the ship immediately move them further inboard where they are unloaded and the bags are distributed.

Bags can accidentally be sent to the wrong cabin, but that will be straightened out when passengers notice the incorrect bags in their cabin, and they will either go to a central point or to the right cabin.

There are not individual handlers handing each bag aboard, cruise ships do this entire process incredibly well, you don't want to drag your luggage through the buffet line, etc., etc.

If you allow the airlines to handle your bags, then let the cruise line do it as well. They do far better.

i really enjoyed reading your post and feel a little bit better...Im just worried since there are about 10,000 luggage on board the Allure.

i really enjoyed reading your post and feel a little bit better...Im just worried since there are about 10,000 luggage on board the Allure.

Yeah. Umm, some unasked-for advice... :) ... perhaps you need to step away from these boards for now. You seem to be worrying yourself into knots here. The luggage has been making it onto Allure and Oasis for years now, every single week. We had absolutely no issues, as do most of the passengers who sail.

Your luggage will be fine and of course, having said that, there is nothing good that will come from stewing about it. Please try to relax and enjoy your vacation and all that is leading up to it, OK?

EDITED to add: and respectfully to those who think this is funny or interesting to add comments and videos about luggage overboard, yeah... real mature.

...im just being realistic about carrying my own luggage on to the ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if you're kidding, but you can only carry on "carry-ons", so to speak. Anything larger like a full size suitcase that will NOT fit through the scanner must be checked in with the porters. No exceptions.

your kidding me right????? about throwing into the water right?

:eek:

No. This was a compromise put into the last dockworkers' collective bargaining agreement.

Prior to the most recent agreement, the dockworkers had the right to throw passengers into the water if their luggage was deemed to be unacceptable.:eek:

I cruise with just a carry on. I have small feet (size 5) and have a very difficult time finding shoes so it always worried me handing over my luggage to anyone (airline or ship). I realize the chances are remote but this is my way of not worrying about it.

As others have said there is a greater risk your luggage will be lost at the AP then on the cruise.

There is a slight chance your luggage will end up in the water. When that happens it's not one bag. The big carts that have all the luggage fall or tip. It does happen but not that often. These people are profesionals. They do it all the time & don't want bad things to happen b/c that makes their day longer & harder.

To reduce any possible problems do the following:

1. cross pack

2. keep medicines & valuables with you in a carry on

3. pack 1 chance of clothes & your bathing suit in the carry on

Finally try to relax. Think about having a great time & stop focusing on what could possibly go wrong.

Archived