Car rental for the inexperienced

cakerbakermom

Yes, we are inexperienced at renting cars and are looking for some good advice.

Fly into MLB on 11/9/16. Need a car that fits four people plus luggage. Will be sightseeing for couple of days.

Sail on 11/12 out of Canaveral. So basically we need a car rental for 2-3 days from MLB and drop off at PC. (still have yet to make hotel arrangements)

Return cruise 11/20. Need car from this morning until late on 11/21 as we have a 6pm flight on 11/21. Again need to make sleeping arrangements for 11/20. Car pickup from Canaveral and return to MLB.

Has anyone had good experiences that are affordable? I am looking right now and many of these companies are over $100/day for a compact car. This is way out of our price range!! I need tips how to get inexpensive car rental, not needing a minivan but would like something that will accommodate four people and all our luggage. Are their coupon codes? Ways to score some cheap rentals? I could really use some help! Thank you in advance.

I have not rented a car in Florida but for different pickup and return locations the price does not seem out of line. Hopefully someone local will come on with some ideas to help you save some $$. I'd also consider getting at least a mid-size as I have had compact cars that barely held one carry-on and backpack in the hatch/trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Agreed. OP, you need a bigger car than a compact for 4 people and luggage. Try pricing out an SUV (which drives like a car, no big deal).

If you have a membership to one of the big box chain stores :) try them. They often have incredible deals and we have rented our cars through them the past few times.

Rental car prices almost always start high and go down as you get closer to your dates. I would book something now to just to have a reservation (you can always cancel it) and then keep monitoring prices right up until a few days before your trip. I often cancel and rebook rental cars 3 or 4 times for a given trip.

Just for reference I looked back and in April we paid $73 a day for our mini-van in Orlando from Disney to TPA. Last year April we paid $89 a day for a mini-van renting in Port Canaveral and dropping at TPA, both were Alamo.

There are generally no one-way drop fees within Florida, but there are obviously exceptions to that.

Tons of ways to get rental car discounts. Just search for rental car discount codes and you will find lots of sites with advice on this.

Another thing to look at in Florida is what each company charges for their automated tolling solution. Some charge a daily fee, some charge a flat fee, some charge a per use fee. Not sure if you are going to be on any toll roads or not, but might be worth checking out.

Sometimes it is cheaper to keep a car for the whole time rather than pay drop off fees. I just looked at a popular travel site and it was $407 for a midsize for the entire time you will be gone. It holds 5 people and 4 suitcases. The trick is to find a "park and cruise ". (Google search term) hotel for the time you are on your cruise.

To rent cars: the person renting must have a valid driver's license and a debit or credit card in their name. If you use a debit card, expect the rental company to hold at least $500 more than the cost of the rental until you return the car, then it takes a while, often a week, for that hold to be released. You cannot rent a car solely with cash. If you are 25 or under, there are only a few companies that rent to younger people and the rates are higher.

Hope this helped! Keep asking questions! None of us knew it all when we started out

Renting in Florida can be a minefield. When I shop for rentals I always explore the codes that I find at http://www.mousesavers.com.

Generally I have found that Budget has the best rates and seldom assesses drop off charges within Florida.

In my experience, prices are soft until about 2 week prior to the date that you want the vehicle. After that they rise and can be ridiculous.

In addition to using Budget, I have had fairly good success with Priceline's 'name your own price' tool.

If you are a US customer it is likely (check to be sure) that your own automobile insurance will cover the CDW that the rental companies try to sell you....and many VISA/MC/AMEX plans cover if you use their card for the rental.

Edited by thinfool

Not sure about "where it gets -20 in January" is located - Maine? Alaska? :confused:

Check with your primary car insurance carrier - you can likely refuse the overpriced coverage and waivers pushed by the car rental company. I would also refuse to pre-pay for gas and be sure to fill up the car before dropping it off.

Finally, take photos and videos with your phone of the car when you check it out and return it. Insist that the car rental company note any scratches, dents or other damage that are on the car before leaving the lot and get a printed receipt when you drop off the car.

All of the car rental locations in PC/Cocoa Beach offer free shuttles to/from the port - shop around.

Check with your primary car insurance carrier - you can likely refuse the overpriced coverage and waivers pushed by the car rental company. I would also refuse to pre-pay for gas and be sure to fill up the car before dropping it off.

Finally, take photos and videos with your phone of the car when you check it out and return it. Insist that the car rental company note any scratches, dents or other damage that are on the car before leaving the lot and get a printed receipt when you drop off the car.

Reread the quoted suggestions above as insurance is probably the most important thing you need to know about your rental.

One thing I would add - check with your credit card company (the one you will be charging your rental to) as it may also provide free rental insurance.

I rent from Hertz as I found their drop off fees reasonable. Actually sometime they don't charged a fee at all. Google Hertz coupon or if you have AAA the discount is good too IMHO

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

It might be worth joining Costco for their car rentals! I've had the best rates through them in the last few years.

Agreed! I just came back to this thread to recommend Costco. I just made reservations thru Costco and chose a mini-van with Alamo. Saved almost $20 AND it includes an additional driver for free.

Yes, we are inexperienced at renting cars and are looking for some good advice.

Fly into MLB on 11/9/16. Need a car that fits four people plus luggage. Will be sightseeing for couple of days.

Sail on 11/12 out of Canaveral. So basically we need a car rental for 2-3 days from MLB and drop off at PC. (still have yet to make hotel arrangements)

Return cruise 11/20. Need car from this morning until late on 11/21 as we have a 6pm flight on 11/21. Again need to make sleeping arrangements for 11/20. Car pickup from Canaveral and return to MLB.

Has anyone had good experiences that are affordable? I am looking right now and many of these companies are over $100/day for a compact car. This is way out of our price range!! I need tips how to get inexpensive car rental, not needing a minivan but would like something that will accommodate four people and all our luggage. Are their coupon codes? Ways to score some cheap rentals? I could really use some help! Thank you in advance.

First question: Do you have a major credit card with at least $500 of available credit?

Try Budget.

On the front end, even without their club membership or coupon codes I'm seeing 3 day rates as low as $255 (pre-pay) for a full sized car. People here in the past have posted Budget Coupon codes that might get you a better rate.

On the back end if you keep the car beyond the 24 hour limit from the time you pick it up it will cost you another day, so you need to balance your pickup and return if you don't want to pay for a 2 day rental. If you stay within a one day rental I'm seeing a total rate of about $85 with taxes for a full size car. This is without any discounts.

If you have car insurance, don't buy any of the extra insurance coverages.

• 2 weeks later...
Reread the quoted suggestions above as insurance is probably the most important thing you need to know about your rental.

One thing I would add - check with your credit card company (the one you will be charging your rental to) as it may also provide free rental insurance.

I am very appreciative of all these tips!! We will be using our credit card, but cannot rent expensive vehicles or they won't cover. I think a smaller size SUV might be acceptable, but definitely not a minivan or truck (unless we want to pay for all the extra insurance charges. No thank you!) Taking photos/video with cell is a wonderful idea!

Oh, our CC does have more than $500 AND we also just renewed our Costco. I will continue watching to see if we can score something!!!

Sometimes it is cheaper to keep a car for the whole time rather than pay drop off fees. ...

There are no drop-off fees in Florida. That's to encourage tourism.

Not sure where "MLB" is. But I do know you need a car that's bigger than a compact. Most website have a cartoon representation of the car size and its capacity. You're probably going to need at least a mid-sized car, if not full-sized or an SUV as someone mentioned.

Good advice to find out CDW in advance, and also to get a booking, then just keep looking, trying to find something better.

I already have my one-way car booked from Clearwater to Miami next January. I got a Ford Escape for just over $100, but of course that's for drop-off the same day.

Not sure if you are experienced cruise travelers, but I would comment that your luggage situation needs to be clarified.

Four people in a mid size car is very doable, but if you have luggage like some cruisers you may need a moving van. :D (kidding)

Four people traveling with just 'carryon' bags will do fine in a mid to full size vehicle, but if you have 'checked' bags (larger, more)' you may want to seriously consider a minivan. Expensive yes, but you need the room.

OTOH, in the above scenario, renting two smaller cars could be very cost effective.

I am very appreciative of all these tips!! We will be using our credit card, but cannot rent expensive vehicles or they won't cover. I think a smaller size SUV might be acceptable, but definitely not a minivan or truck (unless we want to pay for all the extra insurance charges. No thank you!) Taking photos/video with cell is a wonderful idea!

Oh, our CC does have more than $500 AND we also just renewed our Costco. I will continue watching to see if we can score something!!!

The reason I say $500 is because the rental car company will authorize on your card the cost of the rental plus a $200-$250 deposit which will drop off when you return the card. The exception to this would be Sixt which will authorize a $999 if you rent a BMW or Mercedes.

The rental agencies present at the airport are the ones to choose unless you want to do courtesy shuttles to off airport sites.

For MLB (Orlando); http://www.mlbair.com/PassengerInformation/MapsParkingGroundTransportation/RentalCars.aspx

At airport rental locations you will pay a lot more taxes and fees added to the rental than you would pay at a neighborhood location. It's not uncommon for the taxes and fees to exceed the cost of the rental when cars are discounted on the weekend at the airport.

The reason I say $500 is because the rental car company will authorize on your card the cost of the rental plus a $200-$250 deposit which will drop off when you return the card. The exception to this would be Sixt which will authorize a $999 if you rent a BMW or Mercedes.

Sixt did a some $2000 hold on a Mercedes GL class for the day, should note that was a premium class SUV but it can exceed your $999.

But their fleet is also brand new and mainly European premium brands, no cars older than 6 months. Love their small Miami downtown branch and just a $5 cab to Port of Miami!

Sixt did a some $2000 hold on a Mercedes GL class for the day, should note that was a premium class SUV but it can exceed your $999.

But their fleet is also brand new and mainly European premium brands, no cars older than 6 months. Love their small Miami downtown branch and just a $5 cab to Port of Miami!

Due to Sixt's arrogance, they are struggling in the USA. They've yet to figure out the US is not Europe and not all folks here think German cars are the end all, be all of automobiles. Personally, give me a Lexus over a Mercedes.

Due to Sixt's arrogance, they are struggling in the USA. They've yet to figure out the US is not Europe and not all folks here think German cars are the end all, be all of automobiles. Personally, give me a Lexus over a Mercedes.

Each to their own. :) We just like to drive familiar cars.

Thank you for clarifying why the $500. Good to understand how the deposit works. I guarantee you we will not be renting anything that costly! We are a no-frills kinda family :)