Do you adjust your routine while on holiday?

Jacs

When you are on holiday, do you still need to do things just like you do at home? I'm thinking of your morning and evening routines, at home I'm a have breakfast in PJ's, jump in the shower then brush my teeth and get ready kinda girl. On holidays this doesn't work quite as well so I tend to have shower in evening, then in morning it's get ready for the day and brush teeth, then have breakfast.

But so often I see people that go to breakfast in their PJ's, hair unkept, most likely because it's the routine they always keep at home. I notice is as well on long haul flights with all the people queuing up in the morning to brush their teeth as soon as they wake up. Me personally I'm happy to wait an hour to brush my teeth if it means avoiding the huge line for the bathroom lol. I guess some people are creatures of habit and don't want to change even when they're not at home.

So what are you like, do you adapt to the situation or do you need your familiar routine?

We don't change our routine very much.

DH is used to heading to the gym by 5:15 AM and getting home to shower and change for the by 7 and then we have breakfast by 7:30. On the ship the gym doesn't open until 6. This is for days when we do not have an excursion. Me, I get up, shower, change, make the beds and set up everything for breakfast while getting on the internet at home. On the ship -- just go out on the verandah and watch the sun rise.

I guess it depends on what you consider "routine". My usual "routine" is: get up, shave & shower, put on a suit and tie, grab a coffee and toast and head out the door to catch the 7:38 train to take me into the city to go to work. No.....I don't do that whilst on any vacation, cruise or other.

and try to sleep later. Even if I can't sleep in, no way am I up and put of our stateroom until after 9:00 a.m. or so.

I still exercise and eat healthfully and read A LOT. Much like being at home, I choose to be mostly unconnected and don't bring any mobile devices or use the ship's internet. I do all that at work and am happy to leave it at work while on vacation.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I would never show up at a public/ship/hotel breakfast room in pjs. Don't like it at all when other people do it.

I do not go online while on vacation unless I need to confirm a reservation. On Lake Titicaca, I felt sorry for the young man whose boss kept sending him requests.

I find that on cruises I end up getting up earlier than normal on port days, since I don't have to be at work all that early (I often stay late, it balances out). But my actual routine is similar, since at home I wake up, shower, dress and commute to work and then eat breakfast at the office. So that's not that different than shower, dress and eat at the buffet. I don't like to eat when I first wake up, so room service is wasted on me.

I found myself changing clothes at least twice or 3 times a day, eating less, napping for 2-4 hour each day and watching stuff that I normally don't do like Harry Potter, Miami Vice and Leverage. It made that trip along with the port stops, comedy shows and the minigolf whole alot fun.

Certainly my routine changes while on vacation. All the things at home that need consistent care life feeding dogs or going to work are not present. I guess I get ready the same way. Always washed up and dressed for the day before eating breakfast so i guess this would be the reason for no need to change. But no, I will not wake up at 3:50 and be in bed by 8:00. Structurally my routine life does not fit or work in my desired vacation life.