Room Service (suites-main dining room menu)?

PBNJ620

Sailing in a suite soon and were considering dining in the room with the offered "main dining room menu". For those who have done this, was it good or was the food cold when it arrived?

Would love to have dinner on the balcony one night (although we don't have a table and chairs, only loungers), still would be nice!

It's hard to eat a full meal without a true dining table...just so you know. All of the food is delivered at one time...they don't do "course by course"...so it's not as "romantic" as you might be thinking it is...

Try breakfast first....if you can manage that, and think it's ok...you'll be ok with dinner..I guess!

Edited by cb at sea

The food arrives all at once. It takes about 40 minutes for it to arrive. We have found the food to be a good temperature, but by no means is it hot. Let them know how many the service is for and they will bring the right amount of silver wear. We usually order milk, but I bet you can get water, coffee, tea etc...

We've done it before in a GS & while there is not a dining table we were able to make do just fine with the coffee table...and we were lucky to have an aft balcony with a table & chairs...it's a little trickier without a table..but if it's something you want to try & think it will enhance your cruise...then go for it! I always order breakfast at least once to enjoy on the balcony whether I have a suite or not...

Room service from the main dining room menu is a luxury we enjoy and ive learned a trick since they dont deliver course by course. simply call and place and order for your appetizers and salads then about 20 minutes later call again and place the order for your entrees and desserts. This way delivery is spaced out and likely by the time you've finished salads and appetizers, your entrees and desserts will be delivered.

We love the in cabin dining experience especially when sailing in a crown loft suite.

However did this in a GS on Mariner and Freedom also.

The only difference is that on Mariner an Freedom we had our choice of the dinner being set up on balcony or coffee table.

We usually order a day ahead of time and tell them the time we would like it, they try to get it there give or take 15 min. when you do it this way.

Upon arrival they place down a white table cloth.

Then place the silver ware, butter, salt and pepper shakers.

Three covered entres, rolls, salads.

Beverages.

We were really impressed and the young man was tipped nicely.

Our dinners were as hot (really warm) as could be expected.

Loved it, cannot wait till next summer to do again.

Enjoy

We love the in cabin dining experience especially when sailing in a crown loft suite.

However did this in a GS on Mariner and Freedom also.

The only difference is that on Mariner an Freedom we had our choice of the dinner being set up on balcony or coffee table.

We usually order a day ahead of time and tell them the time we would like it, they try to get it there give or take 15 min. when you do it this way.

Upon arrival they place down a white table cloth.

Then place the silver ware, butter, salt and pepper shakers.

Three covered entres, rolls, salads.

Beverages.

We were really impressed and the young man was tipped nicely.

Our dinners were as hot (really warm) as could be expected.

Loved it, cannot wait till next summer to do again.

Enjoy

Who do you leave the preorder with? I am curious as we have never done it like that before.

We actually found out the first time we sailed Allure. We were on a late excursion in Jamaica and we were going to be getting back late. Worried where we would eat, We asked the concierge how late the windjammer would be open because by the time three of us showered and we're ready it would be close to 8 and would not make first seating. He told us to consider room service He gave us Wednesday's MDR menu to look over. He told us to call it in tonight or before we left the ship for Jamaica.

He said it would be no problem because of 24 hour room service

We called it in actually from the CL in case there was a problem ...... There wasn't. Told them the time we wanted it the next day. And it was there.

A nice experience.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm very excited to order the MDR in-room service. Does anyone know if you can order multiple portions of the same dish without issue? I know you can in the MDR.

Sure, just tell them you want 2,3 or whatever portions of the items you want...

I'm very excited to order the MDR in-room service. Does anyone know if you can order multiple portions of the same dish without issue? I know you can in the MDR.

Yea, we ordered Thanksgiving for 4 and had our parents in our cabin for Thanksgiving dinner. Was great- quiet and private.

It's hard to eat a full meal without a true dining table...just so you know. All of the food is delivered at one time...they don't do "course by course"...so it's not as "romantic" as you might be thinking it is...

Try breakfast first....if you can manage that, and think it's ok...you'll be ok with dinner..I guess!

Because having a nice dinner on your balcony as the sun goes down is not romantic?

Interesting. To each, their own, I guess. We found it very intimate and romantic.

It's our favorite feature of having a GS.

We've ordered it, especially after a long day in port. I find dinner on the balcony to be very relaxing.

The food arrived in about 30 minutes and it was as hot as what we get in the dining room. I like the idea of ordering appetizers and salads with one call and then the main course and dessert with another call. I think we will give it a try on our next cruise.

• 3 years later...
6 minutes ago, cruisernh said:

Thank you, since this last post on 2015. Does anyone have any updates or suggestions about in suite dining?

Still complimentary for those in Grand Suites or better.  You can order off the MDR menu whenever the MDR is open.