cape canaveral

cape canaveral is a great day to enjoy the ship. Disney is at least a 1+ hour trip there and back not including the time wasted being stuck in traffic. And there is not in time in the day to fully enjoy the disney parks

We are due to set sail on the Gem on July 5th. One of our stops is at Cape Can. and we are wondering if it is even worth it to attempt a day at Disney??? I have been told you can take a taxi to it.

Yes, it's worth it! :D! Don't let the naysayers discourage you! I did EPCOT on my recent New Year's Eve cruise & it was great. The buses left Port Canaveral early...(we met as a group in the main showroom at around 7AM...the EPCOT people & the Magic Kingdom people, etc.)..we got on the buses around 7:30 & were all dropped off at the Disney Transportation Center an hour later...where we all went to either the monorails or the boats to our destinations.

The buses to go back to the ship picked us up beginning at 3:30....and I believe the last bus was supposed to leave Disney at 4:45.

We had a great day at the park & I would highly recommend it.

Edited by cv322

We did it. We enjoyed 6 rides at Magic Kingdom and the kids wanted to watch the parade plus we ate lunch. Well worth it for my family from Iowa. We were there in March on 7-night New York to Bahamas cruise. No traffic jams for us.

It highly depends on the time of year that you will be going and what time of day the tour starts. If it is a slow time at Disney, then I would say yes, but the week of July 5th will be a very busy one. If your shore excursion arrives for park opening, all the better.

We just returned from a cruise on the Gem and chose to do Seaworld through the cruiseline. The six hours or so that we had were ample for seeing everything in the park and because we got it through the cruiseline we weren't worried about running late. I know that I would want more time at Disney in order to choose that excursion.

We are due to set sail on the Gem on July 5th. One of our stops is at Cape Can. and we are wondering if it is even worth it to attempt a day at Disney??? I have been told you can take a taxi to it.

I live here and on July 5th the park will be so packed they will stop letting people in. The 4th is a Friday so this is a huge weekend. Taxi would cost you a fortune and I don't know if you could get one when you are ready to leave as they need to wait in traffic to get in as well.

That weekend is one of the worse in our state

Now if you can get a ships excursion with them providing everything, than you don't need to worry about missing the ship

It highly depends on the time of year that you will be going and what time of day the tour starts. If it is a slow time at Disney, then I would say yes, but the week of July 5th will be a very busy one. If your shore excursion arrives for park opening, all the better.

I agree with you 100%. going in January is a lot different then going in July.

The week of July 4th will be packed.

We went once on July 4th and vowed never to go again. People pack the place for the 4th of July fireworks. Once the fireworks were over it took us 90 minutes just to get to the parking lot from the park.

The rest of the week won't be as bad but still jammed.

Bill

Traffic is a bi--- getting to Disneyworld. No way would I spend all that time just getting there and back and then all the waiting in lines.

Consider going to NASA instead. Teens will love it, and it's just a few minutes away from the port.

Consider going to NASA instead. Teens will love it, and it's just a few minutes away from the port.

I second this.

$95 plus per person plus about 6 hours of Disney when most of the 6 is standing in line at the rides is a bummer.

Kennedy Space Center is great and 4th of July week is the 2nd busiest week of the year at Disney World. I would not spend the money to deal with those crowds.

Edited by Rileyz

I second this.

$95 plus per person plus about 6 hours of Disney when most of the 6 is standing in line at the rides is a bummer.

Or Cocoa Beach. The bus was like $12.00 each, round trip, booked on the ship. We did it first week in May and had a great day,

We just returned from a cruise on the Gem and chose to do Seaworld through the cruiseline. The six hours or so that we had were ample for seeing everything in the park and because we got it through the cruiseline we weren't worried about running late. I know that I would want more time at Disney in order to choose that excursion.

Sea world is a much smaller park than Disney. Much easier to see in 6 hours.

What may be "worth it" to one, may not be "worth it" to another. On a crowed day in the summer, you would most likely spend a lot of time in lines being uncomfortably hot.

I live 30 minutes from Disney. Please, do not waste your money! First, as others have said, holiday weekends are insanely busy. There is a strong chance you won't even get in after spending at least an hour to get there. By the time you do,(best case scenario 2pm) every fast pass for any ride worth a darn will be gone. Trust me on this. As annual pass holders, when we get there at 9 am, FP return time is 5:30 for Fast Track. The arm band system and being able to order FP in advance is making it impossible for day visitors. Good rides generally will have 2+ hour wait times. So then you spend the remaining 4 hours in line. Maybe get two rides in and leave at 6:30 at the latest. There is one major rode back to PC and if there is an accident, you are SOL. Sorry to be Debby Downer but I would hate for you to shell out so much money for so little. Stay east. Do the space center...Cocoa. Plenty out that way.

I'm Disney geek.. But for a short one-day - I'd do NASA Kennedy Center. And it's near the port.

Like some of the other poster's, we live in central FL....I never recommend Disney as a shore excursion.....too expensive, too little time! And July is one of the busiest months, especially that close to the 4th, not to mention it will be brutally hot!!!! We have lots of nice beaches close to the port, Jetty Park is easy to get to by taxi. Brevard Zoo, in north Melbourne, has a ropes course/zipline that teens would like, and is about 30-40 min. from port. Cocoa Beach is close, great beaches, and there is always Ron Jon's!

Back to Disney, that time of year you will be lucky to get in two rides. Only you can decide if that is worth it!

I would skip Disney and hit Kennedy Space Center OR The Alligator Airboat Tour

both offered through the ship. I have done both on 2 different Gem trips,KSC is fun and informative,but the Airboat tour,while a bit more rustic was a BLAST--and you will see gators closer than you ever have--at the end there is a food shack where they give you gator fritters and than a live animal show...ps the airboats go FAST ! A lot of bang for the buck on this excursion......:)