Excursions for Belize & Roatan

lcmjcm

My family and I are taking the Sept cruise on the Magic to Belize. Trying to decide on excursions but there are so many good one to choose from. I want to snorkel the reef. Any recommendations on the beat place to do that? I see great pics at both ports but want to get the most out if the experience. Snorkeling the reef is the reason for selecting this cruise. Please help if you have made the trip, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family and I are taking the Sept cruise on the Magic to Belize. Trying to decide on excursions but there are so many good one to choose from. I want to snorkel the reef. Any recommendations on the beat place to do that? I see great pics at both ports but want to get the most out if the experience. Snorkeling the reef is the reason for selecting this cruise. Please help if you have made the trip, thanks.

Belize - Caulker Caye

Roatan - right from the beach at Tabyana (West Bay Beach)

This will be our second time doing this itinerary, and we did the ruins at Altun Ha the first go round. This time there's more family going, so since they haven't seen any of the ruins in Belize, were going to do either Lamanai or Xunantunich this time around. We haven't decided on what do to in Roatan yet.

Here's some info on the ruins: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/belize/272860#sthash.TMl9yLy2.dpbs#ixzz35J4lfYWT

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/belize/272860#sthash.TMl9yLy2.dpbs

We did rendezvous cay on believe and loved it. They broke us into three groups, beginning, intermediate, and advanced. It's a very tiny island, like 1/2 acre. Very col being out there. Since is was a carnival excursion they picked us up at the ship. And we had time to catch a tender to shore after.

On Roatan we did canopy and beach break. Zipline from the top of a mountain clear down to beach, 13 total lines. Then to tabayana to play or snorkel. Both days were awesome.

I spent a week in Belize last year. Reef access is by boat only. Hole Chan was pretty very nice, Shark ray alley I was not too impressed. I took another trip to a reef closer to Caye Caulker, I think they called it the Flower Garden. Not as many fish but cool looking coral.

I spent a week on Roatan in May. I stayed in West End to get my OW certification. Not too impressed with West End except for the diving from boats, not far from shore. I took a water taxi 3 times to West Bay to snorkel. I was very impressed with the snorkeling from shore. If you go there go almost all the way to the left where the long rock formation is sticking out. There are a few white markers that help guide you out through the reef. I thought it was better than Belize and you can do it on your own, from shore as much as you want. I took my own gear but there were venders renting equipment form the beach for $5. The only expensive part would be getting there. A taxi form the airport to West End was $20.00 I am sure they would charge quite a bit more from the cruise ports to West Bay but that would be the only real expense. Roatan is a fairly large island. I only have experience with a small portion, I am sure there are other very good snorkeling sights.

Edited by Streydog

The best snorkeling I've ever done on a cruise was at Tabayana Beach in Roatan.

The only drawback is there a lot of beach vendors there. Great excursion though. Check out my Liberty Video, the snorkeling footage is there.

The only drawback is there a lot of beach vendors there. Great excursion though. Check out my Liberty Video, the snorkeling footage is there.

Great video thanks for sharing!

A lot of you suggested Tabyana...

How are the prices there for lunch and drinks?

Great video, thanks for posting. I think I'll talk some family members into doing the snorkeling, since we don't have a set excursion for Roatan.

If I want to go to Tabayana Beach in Roatan what is the best way to get there? Is it a Carnival excursion or can you take a taxi? I have not been here before and don't know my way around this port. Thanks for any info.....:D

Was at Tabyana Beach last week and loved it would highly recommend

If you used the ship's "excursion", do you recall how often the shuttle bus ran to/from the dock?

I have done the River excursion to Lamanai twice. Three years apart. I have really enjoyed it and it was great to see the work they had done on it in 3 yrs. They serve lunch too.

This will be our second time doing this itinerary, and we did the ruins at Altun Ha the first go round. This time there's more family going, so since they haven't seen any of the ruins in Belize, were going to do either Lamanai or Xunantunich this time around. We haven't decided on what do to in Roatan yet.

Here's some info on the ruins: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/belize/272860#sthash.TMl9yLy2.dpbs#ixzz35J4lfYWT

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/belize/272860#sthash.TMl9yLy2.dpbs

We're on the Sept 7th cruise there... in Belize, we plan on Xunantunich. In Roatan we'll probably just do the private beach and Flying Chairs and snorkel from that beach.

I have done the River excursion to Lamanai twice. Three years apart. I have really enjoyed it and it was great to see the work they had done on it in 3 yrs. They serve lunch too.

Which tour company did you use?

Our ship Riviera will be in port from 8 AM to 6 PM. Is that enough time for a private tour to Lamanai?

I also am very interested in tour company suggestions for this trip.

Thanks.

Edited by CintiPam

Roatan- Tabyana Beach is by far the best choice while in Roatan, amazing snorkeling, beautiful sand, crystal clear water,

we rented a taxi driver for the day for $30pp (just walk to the end of the shops in port and there are dozens waiting) who took us to Tabyana and to a park called Maya Eden where we held monkeys, birds, butterflies, and saw some Mayan ruins

Belize- the city itself is very poor, not one of the ports where you can walk to a beach and find something to do except shopping (the shopping in port however was great), would strongly recommend an excursion, however do not book through the cruise line! when you walk into port there are tons of tours available that are much cheaper than carnival -zoo, snorkeling, city tours, mayan ruins, horse and carriage rides, scuba diving, private beaches .... Belize is a good port if you DO something, but if you don't go on an excursion, it is just another touristy port

• 2 weeks later...

We used Shore Excursioneer Shore Excursions company for the Cave Tubing in Belize and the Powerboat Adventure in Roatan. Their customer service surprised us and we decided to book with them (and they had the best rates, plus you get a discount for booking several excursions with them).

We received our tickets within hours and the local operators were easy to find, everything was as advertised...smooth and great local operators.

We will use them again in the future, they were very professional and their local partners impressed us.

• 3 weeks later...
We used Shore Excursioneer Shore Excursions company for the Cave Tubing in Belize and the Powerboat Adventure in Roatan. Their customer service surprised us and we decided to book with them (and they had the best rates, plus you get a discount for booking several excursions with them).

We received our tickets within hours and the local operators were easy to find, everything was as advertised...smooth and great local operators.

We will use them again in the future, they were very professional and their local partners impressed us.

Very nervous using an outside shore excursion co in Roatan, Honduras

Shoreexcursioneer has one that I am interested in West Bay Beach day for $29 Transportation, loungers, beach use - 6hrs

Edited by Feelin' Nauti'