Negativity

NoobCruise

We cruised with HAL for the first time in September. We booked in Feb 2012. I'm saddened to see the number of extremely negative threads on this board now. If I was booking for the first time today, I would steer clear of HAL. Not just because of the HAL bashing, but threads that so severely bash other pax, I wonder if the pax being bashed are so bad, or is it the people doing the bashing that I wouldn't want to sail with. Either way, I think the negativity on this board is needlessly scaring new cruisers off of HAL.

I just want to say we had an amazing time on the Westerdam and the other pax we encountered were great. We didn't see rude slobs or snotty "elites". With only 2 exceptions, the passengers we cruised with were polite and enjoyable and HAL was great. I hope new cruisers won't take these boards too much to heart.

We, too, sailed Westerdam November/December for two weeks and enjoyed the ship very much. But that doesn't change the fact there have been many cutbacks by HAL. Should we ignore them and not comment, pretend that things are as they always were? Can so many of us be wrong?

We cruised with HAL for the first time in September. We booked in Feb 2012. I'm saddened to see the number of extremely negative threads on this board now. If I was booking for the first time today, I would steer clear of HAL. Not just because of the HAL bashing, but threads that so severely bash other pax, I wonder if the pax being bashed are so bad, or is it the people doing the bashing that I wouldn't want to sail with. Either way, I think the negativity on this board is needlessly scaring new cruisers off of HAL.

I just want to say we had an amazing time on the Westerdam and the other pax we encountered were great. We didn't see rude slobs or snotty "elites". With only 2 exceptions, the passengers we cruised with were polite and enjoyable and HAL was great. I hope new cruisers won't take these boards too much to heart.

there is negativity on all of the boards lately.

I'm wondering if people have "SAD" and the winter is getting to them?

All the nagging about negative threads are are a bit negative...

there is negativity on all of the boards lately.

There have always been negative posts/threads ever since the first bulletin board on the Internet. ;)

Having participated on a few discussion boards, I believe there are people who say things online that they would never say to someone in person. I admit to sometimes doing it myself. Online you have time to think about what someone else said and respond to it. In real life aboard ship, you are going to have a more social demeanor.

We, too, sailed Westerdam November/December for two weeks and enjoyed the ship very much. But that doesn't change the fact there have been many cutbacks by HAL. Should we ignore them and not comment, pretend that things are as they always were? Can so many of us be wrong?

I'm not saying you're wrong about cutbacks and how things have changed. I'm just saying from a new cruisers perspective, these multiple threads going make HAL sound like a horrible experience. Does a new cruiser really care whether there are fewer flowers than 5 years ago? There were still beautiful flowers everywhere. I'm sorry that the HAL loyals feel the experience has degenerated so much. That is sad. My message really is to new cruisers that HAL offers a great experience, even if "it isn't what it used to be". As a new cruiser, what "it used to be" is irrelevant. What it is now is what I'm interested in, and it was a great experience I hope to do again.

...If I was booking for the first time today, I would steer clear of HAL. Not just because of the HAL bashing, but threads that so severely bash other pax, I wonder if the pax being bashed are so bad, or is it the people doing the bashing that I wouldn't want to sail with. Either way, I think the negativity on this board is needlessly scaring new cruisers off of HAL.

I'm not saying you're wrong about cutbacks and how things have changed. I'm just saying from a new cruisers perspective, these multiple threads going make HAL sound like a horrible experience. Does a new cruiser really care whether there are fewer flowers than 5 years ago? There were still beautiful flowers everywhere. I'm sorry that the HAL loyals feel the experience has degenerated so much. That is sad. My message really is to new cruisers that HAL offers a great experience, even if "it isn't what it used to be". As a new cruiser, what "it used to be" is irrelevant. What it is now is what I'm interested in, and it was a great experience I hope to do again.

I'm sorry my post was based on the understanding that this thread was about how we talk to each other on this forum not our perceptions of HAL.

If is about HAL, all I can tell you is that after cruising Princess and Crystal, I cruised HAL and felt like it was for me.

I'm with you 100% on this one!!! I have no idea what things were like "in the old days." Nor do I care!! What I do care about is what I see and feel and it has been GREAT!!

Cutbacks, I have not seen any because I am not looking for any. And it is iirrelevant as you say!!

Thanks for your thoughts on this!!

Joanie

I'm sorry my post was based on the understanding that this thread was about how we talk to each other on this forum not our perceptions of HAL.

If is about HAL, all I can tell you is that after cruising Princess and Crystal, I cruised HAL and felt like it was for me.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. HAL was a wonderful experience. That's all I'm trying to say to new cruisers.

If you think the cutbacks have adverrsely affected HAL maybe you should sail with some of the other mainstream cruise lines Efficiencies are being sought by all and most are not pleasing to the repeat cruisers.

Sure there are some people who don't adhere to dress codes or polite behaviour but unfortunately the ships' crews don't want confrontation so the bad manners escalate It reflects to-days " me first" social attitudes.

I think the negativity on the boards are a result of people's frustration witth what is happening and the non response from the cruise industry to the growing complaints.Also some people like to compain. and the boards offer that opportunity.

Looking back is a waste of time. Most things in our lives are constantly changing whether we like it or not.

HAL is changing, but there's no need to discourage less experienced cruises by "carping" about it all the time.

We've been cruising since the mid 1960's. A lot has changed, but we're still at it....and we still enjoy it.

I'm with you 100% on this one!!! I have no idea what things were like "in the old days." Nor do I care!! What I do care about is what I see and feel and it has been GREAT!!

Cutbacks, I have not seen any because I am not looking for any. And it is iirrelevant as you say!!

Thanks for your thoughts on this!!

Joanie

Amem and I am in 100% agreement also!

..I think the negativity on this board is needlessly scaring new cruisers off of HAL....

The problem is we just haven't figured out a way to sing the "Barney Song" in unison over these boards. As technology improves and price points become more affordable to more people, this may become possible.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. HAL was a wonderful experience. That's all I'm trying to say to new cruisers.

Well my goodness! What can I say? I went on a couple of other cruises but have my third HAL cruise booked. Why? The crew seems to be so welcoming and friendly. I didn't get the feeling on other cruise lines that I got on HAL.

I have to wonder how many "new" cruisers even know about Cruise Critic, much less come here to make a decision as to which line is right for them.

I didn't fine CC till after my 4th cruise.

One of my ex-supervisors used to say, "the only thing constant is change". How true that is. That being said, I am sure HAL has changed over the years. Some good, some bad. I travel Globus (land tours) also, for many years. Has Globus changed? Sure it has. Some good, some bad. Do I still enjoy Globus? Of course! I love their tours. Did I really enjoy HAL to Alaska a few years ago vs. Carnival or RCI? Absolutely! I am sure there is negative and positive to be said in any situation, but much of it is attitude. If I have the attitude that I will have a good time, I do. I try to overlook the small things that don't please me and focus on the wonderful things that do. So far it has worked for me..........

I have to wonder how many "new" cruisers even know about Cruise Critic, much less come here to make a decision as to which line is right for them.

I also don't think there are many on the cruise that come on CC. I have taken 14 and did not know about it till my last cruise. I take a lot of it with a gran of salt as they say. :D Bill

I have extensively read the Princess, RCCL, NCL and HAL boards and I tend to agree with the OP that the HAL board is more negative then the rest of them. IMO it has nothing to do with the time of year either because it has not been much different during the entire year I have read this board.

I post on at least 6 different message boards. Even the nicest people on every one of those boards seems a bit out of sorts lately.

At work we are getting complaints from all sorts of customers about our best drivers.

My husband said he was "a bit down" a few days ago. He's never said that to me in almost 20 years of knowing him.

I'm sleeping way more than I ever have in the past 2 months.

It's not just on these boards.

I also don't think there are many on the cruise that come on CC. I have taken 14 and did not know about it till my last cruise. I take a lot of it with a gran of salt as they say. :D Bill

I found CC when I was looking to book my 2nd cruise. I decided on HAL, based in large part on the great info and advice on CC. There's a distinction between "first time cruiser" and "new cruiser". I have 2 cruises under my belt now, but definitely still consider myself a "new cruiser". If you pay attention on all the boards, you will see there are quite a few first timers and quite a few of those who only have a few cruises done. There are also a lot of people who "lurk", just reading but not posting.

I have to agree with the OP. Before my first cruise I was scared that the ship was going to be full of negative people (to the OP...a few years ago it was MUCH worse on here) but once we were onboard I realized that the population on here represents a very small population of the ship. Throughout time I have come to realize that although it may seem negative, many times the frequent posters on here are VERY knowledgable because of their wealth of experience that comes from their many past experiences and these people can provide a great deal of insight if you ever have any questions. Generally people are very quick to say "well back in the day"...this is not just in cruising but in life in general.

There is negativity everywhere, but it is your choice to overlook it and move on. I know sometimes that seems hard, but I've found that I just choose to not look into certain topics.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I post on at least 6 different message boards. Even the nicest people on every one of those boards seems a bit out of sorts lately.

At work we are getting complaints from all sorts of customers about our best drivers.

My husband said he was "a bit down" a few days ago. He's never said that to me in almost 20 years of knowing him.

I'm sleeping way more than I ever have in the past 2 months.

It's not just on these boards.

I've observed the same thing - here, other boards, even our internal boards at work. I think it's just February.

Thank you all for your input. I started looking at HAL yesterday evening after my DH announced that he was interested in a cruise on offer for next year, mostly because of the ports of call. Superficially looking at the posts I WAS put off, comparing it to another line that I have voyaged with 3 times and like, but I found myself drawn towards CC again today, and found that in peoples' opinions the food is good and the staff is warm and helpful, which is a great start. So yes, the opinions on CC can sway a person and as for the negative comments about past voyages......we thought we were "living the life" and then heard lots of experienced cruisers on our very recent cruise complaining that it is not as it used to be, so we came to the conclusion that we are very simple souls who think that great food, great rooms, fantastic relevant lectures, peace perfect peace and the sound of the ocean is the height of living......and then to hear that it was better before?

So I think the complaints are across the board as there are cutbacks to remain competitive. I will keep watching this space.

Archived