Negativity

NoobCruise

So negatives are good except if they come from Joanie??

Actually I don't think Startwin was the only person who was confused by seemingly contradictory statements. I know I was left scratching my head. However, IRL_Joanie did come back and she explained her reasoning so nobody is confused any longer. :)

We are currently aboard the Westerdam. We have nothing negative to report as of today - day 5 of 14. There was a glitch at check-in which I will cover at a later time. But once aboard all is very much okay.

That is Great to hear:)

She is a great ship!! That';s why I call her the "Besterdam"!!

As an FYI, be prepared for Hades when you get back to Port Everglades:( From what I have heard some birdies telling me....The Sequester (not sure if it is a threat or has already happened) is either already hitting or will be hitting the US Customs agents at all ports across the US:(

Fewer US Customs agents and.......Not just for Customs but also for TSA......

Joanie

The title of the board is "Cruise Critic", so by definition many people would expect most posts to be critical.

We were on a cruise and attended the Roll Call meeting and there were people there who were expecting it to be a way to complain about aspects of the cruise we were on......

I have found that most people tend to tell people what was wrong but not what was good, human nature maybe.

I always think there is no such thing as a bad cruise, just some better than others.

Happy cruising.....

The title of the board is "Cruise Critic", so by definition many people would expect most posts to be critical. (Snip)

I think that the meaning of "Critic" in this instance is more in the sense of a theatre critic who comments on both the good and the bad in a performance. It doesn't necessarily mean to focus on just the negative.

That is Great to hear:)

She is a great ship!! That';s why I call her the "Besterdam"!!

As an FYI, be prepared for Hades when you get back to Port Everglades:( From what I have heard some birdies telling me....The Sequester (not sure if it is a threat or has already happened) is either already hitting or will be hitting the US Customs agents at all ports across the US:(

Fewer US Customs agents and.......Not just for Customs but also for TSA......

Joanie

Both were bad last Friday. I have a Nexus card and it didn't help one bit to get thru security. Sure glad I wasted 6 months of my life getting it:rolleyes:.

I visit CC looking for information and over the years I've gotten many helpful tips from returning cruisers.

But reading snide comments aimed at other posters is a turn-off.

And in reality neither the nay-sayers nor the cheerleaders are much help in making informed decisions.

It is not the negative comments about the ships that bother me. I want to hear the positive comments and the negative ones, look at both sides, do my research and cruise on the ship that meets my needs. And, I have gotten tons of useful information. But, I totally agree about the snide comments aimed at other posters on the HAL boards being a turn-off.

It is not the negative comments about the ships that bother me. I want to hear the positive comments and the negative ones, look at both sides, do my research and cruise on the ship that meets my needs. And, I have gotten tons of useful information. But, I totally agree about the snide comments aimed at other posters on the HAL boards being a turn-off.

I agree!

My sentiments exactly! :)

My impression is that cruise prices have not risen with inflation over recent years. Competition from large capacity ships and new vessels has also kept prices steady, effectively lower taking inflation into account.

So costs have had to be trimmed to keep up with the competition and turn a profit and we need to judge how well that has been done by various lines. Look on the Celebrity and other sites to witness similar discussions.

Fuel prices have hugely increased recently and ships have to buy where they sail.Was it $1m to fill up a large ship with fuel?

Both Celebrity and HAL have made economies and,for me, the two key things are quality of service and food where both lines, in the main, have maintained standards.

Where individuals find that slippage is too much they can pay 50% plus more and sail Azamara or Oceania or higher still in the 6* league.

For value for money, cruising is unbelievably cheap.Stay a night or two in a 5* resort hotel all inclusive to check how good that value is.

Two comments and I confess I have only read Pages 1 and 6. First, many of us may have said negative things about HAL, but I suspect the majority of us still cruise on her.

Regarding the budget cuts, lengthy times can happen anytime. We experienced the absolute worst US immigration and customs in FLL last December. It took almost an hour for us and we were early disembarkees. Luckily, we were not flying out that day. There were 3 customs agents for non-US citizens (about 1/4 of the passengers) and 1 agent for the US citizens. The porters told us that some customs agents like to prolong the process because they get overtime pay for working longer hours.

Archived