Children at Chef's Table?

...and Pixie dust to grant your wish, even if it makes no sense...like having an 8yr old at Chef's Table.

Another fine example of "just because you can doesn't mean you should" :D

And my unicorn appreciates your pixie dust.

My extremely well-behaved, well-traveled 13 and 12 year-old children could attend CT for free since we are star class, and why not take advantage of the experience? But they will not attend because I know they would much rather spend their time elsewhere on the ship than sitting for a long meal. Whenever we attend dinner, I tell our waitstaff we would like to eat rather quickly because the children want to go play table tennis or whatever. Heck, they can get free movies and popcorn! They would much rather do that. And I don't want to impose my children on others.

We have booked Chef's Table on Oasis this August. When I saw this thread, I thought surely there would be rules.

I pulled up the cruise planner and could not believe what it actually says:

Kids 5 and under eat for free.

Kids 6-12 years old eat for less. Ask about our kids specialty dining prices onboard.

Sheesh!.....:rolleyes:

So as I type this I am getting ready for the barrage of negative comments back.

We are going on our 1st RCC in Aug and we booked this. We are bringing our 8 year old (whom our Genie has already asked what menu items and milk/juice flight she might like for her dinner) My daughter is 8 and has better table manners then some adults.

If she is not sitting between my husband and I, she will turn to introduce herself to the stranger next to her with a hand shake, will ask questions like "where are you traveling from?" "are you enjoying your vacation?" I have often hear her talking about football and her predictions for the upcoming super bowl, or about her favorite baseball player Honas Wagner from 1920. Or talking about the charity she owns and helps manage.

She does this all while having her napkin on her lap, waiting for others to get their food before eating, and knowing what fork to use for salad.

We have done dinners like this in Seattle where we live (only about 3x the price) and she even asks questions that has everyone thanking her for asking (like the chefs background, his or her favorite thing to cook and eat etc) In fact, last weekend we were at a charity event for $500 a plate. She was there, working the crowd and got her photo taken by/with some pretty well known people. She is a kid who has managed to "make friends" with some of the worlds greatest actors and athletes all because she is great with people, respectful, funny and knows how to behave in what we call "fancy engagements"

Now, let me say this: If my child was EVER to act up in a restaurant, we would leave. Actually, it would not even get to that point. We all know our kids. We know the onset of what in a few more moments will be a louder then appropriate voice or even temper tantrum. I would have my kid out of any public establish LONG before it got to that point. this includes any store or restaurant. I go on vacation to RELAX, and not hear screaming kids. I know others are the same. However, I go to spend time with my child, not away from her. So this means she comes with us. This also means she has been exposed to A LOT, and knows how to behave. She knows when to tell a great butt joke, and when to talk about other things.

And no, my child is not an angel. Yes she gets in trouble. However, not knowing how to behave in public is not something we have ever had to worry about. Ever.

So yes, she will be coming with us.

Some people have zero common sense!........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We took our four year old grand-daughter last year on the Oasis. She was very well behaved and only drank a little wine.

OH, did I fail to mention we booked the entire CT that night?

Actually, she only stayed about 30 minutes, got bored and wanted to go to the kids club. No, they didn't charge us for her either.

They do offer discounts on board. We booked during embarkation as we were having a few cocktails in the SL. I think the concierge offered us $75 pp.

When Royal Caribbean first offered the Chef's Table experience, they absolutely said "for 21 and over."

But time and money have chipped away at that. Now any age is "welcome" in any restaurant, with reduced charges. No age restriction, no time restriction.

If the bookings had been filled every time with adults over 21, they wouldn't have started opening up to people who want to bring their children.

They are so &%$^# afraid that Mumsy and Dada won't book unless they can bring their special little snowflakes.

I know of people who have gone to the Chef's Table, discovered that there are children seated there, left and gotten a refund.

Children are fine. But it is absurd to think that children should be everywhere and anywhere.

I can't go into Adventure Ocean. (just try and see how fast they throw your butt out!)

There are no longer ANY places on the ship that bar children. NONE.

I totally agree with you Carol and I would walk out if there were chldren at the table.

This is a wine pairing event. Note that I would not make a scene and leave quitely and then let ship management know my objections to the situation at hand.

We took our four year old grand-daughter last year on the Oasis. She was very well behaved and only drank a little wine.

Actually, she only stayed about 30 minutes, got bored and wanted to go to the kids club. No, they didn't charge us for her either.

They do offer discounts on board. We booked during embarkation as we were having a few cocktails in the SL. I think the concierge offered us $75 pp.

I'm sorry, I had to re read the first sentence "You took your four year old grand daughter and only DRANK A LITTLE WINE!!

I thought it was illegal for FOUR year olds to be served? OR if the "guardians" of such child, gave the child wine, wouldn't it be considered child endangerment and child abuse? Laws are Laws no matter where you are.

Edited by myfuzzy

I just think it's kind of weird to even WANT to take your child (or grandchild) to an event totally focused on adults drinking alcohol in conjunction with a multi course gourmet meal. The menu is not kid friendly. A major part of the evening is listening to the chef talk about each course. The wine is not kid friendly. An even more major part of the evening is devoted to listening to the sommelier talk about each wine and why and how it relates to the food. Of what interest is that to a kid? Even if none of the adults overindulge and act badly during the 3+ hours of Chef's Table dinner, I have to wonder what these people think their child could possibly gain from the experience. What purpose could it serve? Clearly the experience will not meet the child's needs. But apparently somehow it meets the parents' needs. Beats me!:confused:

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

What's been the scene with kids showing up with their parents at the Chef's Table dinner? We've paid for this evening, hoping it will be quiet and enjoyable with no kids present. Any unruly kids? Or were they generally quiet and obedient, behaving themselves?

Ours was adults only and the wine flowed. We had great conversation and even did some things with our guests post dinner.

IMHO, I would not want kids there.

So as I type this I am getting ready for the barrage of negative comments back.

We are going on our 1st RCC in Aug and we booked this. We are bringing our 8 year old (whom our Genie has already asked what menu items and milk/juice flight she might like for her dinner) My daughter is 8 and has better table manners then some adults.

If she is not sitting between my husband and I, she will turn to introduce herself to the stranger next to her with a hand shake, will ask questions like "where are you traveling from?" "are you enjoying your vacation?" I have often hear her talking about football and her predictions for the upcoming super bowl, or about her favorite baseball player Honas Wagner from 1920. Or talking about the charity she owns and helps manage.

She does this all while having her napkin on her lap, waiting for others to get their food before eating, and knowing what fork to use for salad.

We have done dinners like this in Seattle where we live (only about 3x the price) and she even asks questions that has everyone thanking her for asking (like the chefs background, his or her favorite thing to cook and eat etc) In fact, last weekend we were at a charity event for $500 a plate. She was there, working the crowd and got her photo taken by/with some pretty well known people. She is a kid who has managed to "make friends" with some of the worlds greatest actors and athletes all because she is great with people, respectful, funny and knows how to behave in what we call "fancy engagements"

Now, let me say this: If my child was EVER to act up in a restaurant, we would leave. Actually, it would not even get to that point. We all know our kids. We know the onset of what in a few more moments will be a louder then appropriate voice or even temper tantrum. I would have my kid out of any public establish LONG before it got to that point. this includes any store or restaurant. I go on vacation to RELAX, and not hear screaming kids. I know others are the same. However, I go to spend time with my child, not away from her. So this means she comes with us. This also means she has been exposed to A LOT, and knows how to behave. She knows when to tell a great butt joke, and when to talk about other things.

And no, my child is not an angel. Yes she gets in trouble. However, not knowing how to behave in public is not something we have ever had to worry about. Ever.

So yes, she will be coming with us.

Kudos to you!! I hope your entire family enjoys dinner and has a wonderful cruise!

That is hilarious....

For the poster with the lovely 8-year-old, it's awesome that you have a wonderful kid, who is confident and gregarious enough to engage with those around her. She really sounds like an great kid!

But I think you took it too personally when people were saying they didn't want a kid at an adult-oriented venue. Because let's be honest -- upscale cuisine and free-flowing wine should not be part of any kid-oriented venue, right? It has NOTHING to do with your kid specifically, but with the fact that an entire table full of adults might have to adjust their plans to accommodate a little girl, as spectacular as she may be. (And I am not being snarky -- I was a preschool teacher! I love kids with that kind of ease around adults.)

But...remember the big table at Thanksgiving, when you were at the little table? It was special -- for 'grown ups' -- and you had to wait for your chance to make it to the "big league" and hang with the big dogs. I think teaching our kids to wait, and that some things SHOULD be for adults only, isn't disrespectful to your or any child. It IS showing respect for the ADULTS, who want to hang out and play with the big kids for their hard-earned and long-awaited vacation. :D

I would love to chat with your child in the MDR, at a specialty restaurant, at a cupcake class....but please keep in mind that WE need a place to go and play, too! I love my teen boys, and think they are wonderful, but until they can cough up $85 each they aren't coming to CT with me....and I feel pretty confident they wouldn't want to hang out with a bunch of old, mildly inebriated strangers eating tiny portions of strange food anyways.

I hope you spoke up! I would have said something to the parents. In this day when everyone's child is the perfect little snowflake, parents do not always realize others may not feel the same. I love kids and have been lucky in that I have only once seen seen children behaving badly and that lasted only long enough for me to close the elevator door.

This is one of those times where I knew I had to pick my battles. The mom had quite the attitude and dad had way too many drinks at dinner. Anything I said was going to just make it worse.

I spoke to guest services and got a generic apology, but that's all I expected honestly. They could handle the situation, but of course they won't for fear of creating a scene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My extremely well-behaved, well-traveled 13 and 12 year-old children could attend CT for free since we are star class, and why not take advantage of the experience? But they will not attend because I know they would much rather spend their time elsewhere on the ship than sitting for a long meal. Whenever we attend dinner, I tell our waitstaff we would like to eat rather quickly because the children want to go play table tennis or whatever. Heck, they can get free movies and popcorn! They would much rather do that. And I don't want to impose my children on others.

Please come sit by me ANY TIME. :)

Hello.

Children are permitted to participate in our Chef’s Table dining experience. While there is no age restriction for guests to participate our Chef’s Table, guests must be 21 or older to consume alcoholic beverages.

We hope this info helps.

Another fine example of "just because you can doesn't mean you should" :D

As I said, RC allows it because they want YOUR MONEY.

And as MommaBear55 said, just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should.*

Did Chef's Table on Oasis May 21st sailing. 3 kids at far end of table (all under 10). All well behaved with the assistance of electronic devices. This was our 5th Chef's Table on various RCL ships. It TOTALLY changes the atmosphere. It is not about how "well behaved" the kids are. It is not a kid venue. Unless they change the policy, or we know for sure that kids will not be at table, we will not book again. So many other activities for kids and families to do on this class of ship. Chef's Table should remain for adults only.

Some of these posts remind me of the White Sox player who used to bring his son to the clubhouse for every practice and every game and even took the kid on road trips with the team, starting when the boy was about eight. The kid even had his own uniform and locker.

The player retired when some of his teammates complained. Later he said that he could understand the concerns about kids in clubhouses, but that they didn't apply to HIS son, because he is "exceptional". No, no, he really isn't.

There are some places where kids don't belong. No matter how exceptional their parents think they are.

Edited by BeagleOne

When I cruise, I do so to meet other ADULTS and have informative conversations to share tips on traveling, other parts of the world, interesting hobbies, jobs, however, I do not travel to share a table to talk about elementary school projects, Elsa or Jake.