Carry On Size - United Air Lines

SrTrPro

Flying next Thurs from IAD to FLL for Celebrity Century PC cruise. Looking at UAL web site, they list max dims for carry on as 9" x 22" x 14" (45 linear).

While I can find a carry on (wheeled) that fits the 45 linear max, not having much luck in finding on the meets the 9" height. Most are 10" to 11".

Any one have luck getting the 10" to 11" height bag into the overheads on UAL?

Our 1st leg is a regional partner, so I know we will have to gate check for that leg. But the 2nd leg is 737-800 and the return from LA to IAD is Airbus 320.

Thanks for your help - don't want to buy a carry on that will wind up having to be checked.

Bruce

There is an ongoing thread on "Milepoint" (a freq flier message board) on this exact topic.

They (UA) seem to have started using the sizers and if if doesn't fit it gets checked. It doesn't seem to matter if it will fit in the overhead bins. They are using the sizers and don't seem to be any room for debate. The opinions on this seem to be split between the folks who say good and they should be doing this and enforcing their own rules is what is needed to cut down on folks trying to bring the everything with them on board. (for the record I fall into this group)......and the other side who (which seem to include some of the high milage fliers) think that the rules should not apply to them because their bag "fits" into the overhead bin and that high level elites (or first class/biz class) should not have to play by the same carry on size rules as the "kettles".

Thanks Trucker - I have looked at some of the posts there.

From what I gather, UAL will begin using and "enforcing" the carry on rule by using the "sizers" beginning March 1st.

I am familiar with "gate checking" having flown regional partners in the past.

Our 1st leg is on a regional partner from IAD to CLE, so I expect and am prepared to gate check the carry on bags - there is usually no charge for that.

Question - will they gate check all the way to FLL so we do not have to collect the bags on the Jetway in CLE? Or will we re gate check in CLE? Any charge for the 2nd gate check since in is a full size plane?

Bruce

Was at WM today and found 2 carry on bags that meet UAL dims (including wheels and handles). Cheapo luggage ($30 ea) but at my age I ain't buying any 30 year warranties either.

Since it will only be on gate check for the 1st leg, they have a decent chance to survive.

Bruce

Thanks Trucker - I have looked at some of the posts there.

From what I gather, UAL will begin using and "enforcing" the carry on rule by using the "sizers" beginning March 1st.

I am familiar with "gate checking" having flown regional partners in the past.

Our 1st leg is on a regional partner from IAD to CLE, so I expect and am prepared to gate check the carry on bags - there is usually no charge for that.

Question - will they gate check all the way to FLL so we do not have to collect the bags on the Jetway in CLE? Or will we re gate check in CLE? Any charge for the 2nd gate check since in is a full size plane?

Bruce

That is some weird routing. Strange there is no IAD-FLL direct flight on a mainline bird. (I guess I get spoiled with IAH as my home airport and most stuff is direct for me.)

The gate check is usually just for rj's (regional jets). You drop it off by the door to the plane and then do the wait after you land and collect it. (This is where tight connection times can be a major pain). Your CLE-FLL is on a mainline jet (and your bag is within the correct size limits) you won't have to gate check it again. Just take it on like normal. (Now depending on your boarding group and the amount of avail overhead bin space that is left once you get onboard is another story)..

Edited by TruckerDave

The regional leg is mostly empty (Q400). The FLL leg (737-800) has just filled up all Economy - there are a few Econ Plus and 1st Class available, so it will be a crowded flight.

Have no real status on UA but am a Mileage Plus member, so I will probably be in group 4 or 5 to board. We have a 55 minute layover in CLE - hopefully the gates will be close.

Bruce

There is an ongoing thread on "Milepoint" (a freq flier message board) on this exact topic.

They (UA) seem to have started using the sizers and if if doesn't fit it gets checked. It doesn't seem to matter if it will fit in the overhead bins. They are using the sizers and don't seem to be any room for debate. The opinions on this seem to be split between the folks who say good and they should be doing this and enforcing their own rules is what is needed to cut down on folks trying to bring the everything with them on board. (for the record I fall into this group)......and the other side who (which seem to include some of the high milage fliers) think that the rules should not apply to them because their bag "fits" into the overhead bin and that high level elites (or first class/biz class) should not have to play by the same carry on size rules as the "kettles".

On our last UA flight in January DH had to force his carry-on into the sizer. Our carry-ons are the same size, but he filled his more and had to use the "expander" zipper. Once he rearranged things and tightened that zipper it fit fine, but it was a hassle at the entrance. It was our return flight. Three weeks earlier on our outbound flight they weren't using the sizer so I agree that they're being more careful.

Does this mean that their partners-Lufthansa-would be getting stricter also? I'm doing a TA with a wheeled carry on and a legal "personal item." I think the roll aboard is 1" too big in one dimension but legal in linear inches.

Does this mean that their partners-Lufthansa-would be getting stricter also? I'm doing a TA with a wheeled carry on and a legal "personal item." I think the roll aboard is 1" too big in one dimension but legal in linear inches.

LH has always been extremely strict in regard to carry on. Most people won't be able to bring a roller board on the plane as they can't seem to keep the weight under the allowed 8 kg (17.63 pounds). And LH will weigh the bag; I've seem them weigh them at the gate with a hand held weight and take them away to be checked.

LH has always been extremely strict in regard to carry on. Most people won't be able to bring a roller board on the plane as they can't seem to keep the weight under the allowed 8 kg (17.63 pounds). And LH will weigh the bag; I've seem them weigh them at the gate with a hand held weight and take them away to be checked.

Thanks for the reply. Do they do the usual gate check or the full checked baggage thing?

Thanks for the reply. Do they do the usual gate check or the full checked baggage thing?

I am speaking only of our experience when we flew Lufthansa from FCO-FRA where we connected to a United flight back to the USA.

We had to fully check our legal carry-ons through to the USA, which were our main luggage, when we checked in at Lufthansa at FCO because of their weight and possibly size. I was worried going through customs/immigration with our connection time of @90 minutes from Dulles to CLE so figured carrying-on'd be quicker.

Turns out we were fine with having to retrieve our bags since we made it to the gate in plenty of time for our scheduled departure which, with our typical luck flying United, was delayed anyhow....

Edited by TMLAalum

I'm going from TPA > ORD > FRA. The reason I don't want to fully check is, on past trips, my luggage went on a vacation without me! I am going on a cruise so it's only a one way flight.

I'm going from TPA > ORD > FRA. The reason I don't want to fully check is, on past trips, my luggage went on a vacation without me! I am going on a cruise so it's only a one way flight.

I hate checking luggage so feel your pain, but if you're in economy on LF, you only get a single 8kg bag and no second personal item (although a vest will loads of pockets could come in handy). I don't mind minimalist travel, but I didn't want to be quite that deprived.

I hate checking luggage so feel your pain, but if you're in economy on LF, you only get a single 8kg bag and no second personal item (although a vest will loads of pockets could come in handy). I don't mind minimalist travel, but I didn't want to be quite that deprived.

Thanks to a very nice, patient person, I found out that the flight is operated by United. So, I get the roller and a personal item.

Please be aware that United is cracking down on their carry on policy. There have been several articles on travel websites about this new policy yesterday and today. Here are just a few of the articles about this issue.

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/03/uniteds-strict-new-carry-on-baggage-rules-go-into-effect/

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014/03/04/3509503/carry-on-crackdown-united-enforces.html

Please be aware that United is cracking down on their carry on policy. There have been several articles on travel websites about this new policy yesterday and today. Here are just a few of the articles about this issue.

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/03/uniteds-strict-new-carry-on-baggage-rules-go-into-effect/

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014/03/04/3509503/carry-on-crackdown-united-enforces.html

Thanks. I have been reading about it. My bag size isn't the issue..I think. The worry I have is the weight. UA said nothing about weight but the LH is the last short hop to final destination and they weigh carry on luggage.

Ok, this is a dumb question but I need to know. When they say 22 inches does that include the wheels also?

I know my Cruise Critic friends will know!

Thanks for any information you can give us.

Ok, this is a dumb question but I need to know. When they say 22 inches does that include the wheels also?

I know my Cruise Critic friends will know!

Thanks for any information you can give us.

Yes. The measurement is from whatever sticks up top to the floor. So, if you have a handle that isn't flush with your bag when in the down position, you've got to add that. The handle is another thing that does the "gotcha" on your ability to carry vs check...

Yes. The measurement is from whatever sticks up top to the floor. So, if you have a handle that isn't flush with your bag when in the down position, you've got to add that. The handle is another thing that does the "gotcha" on your ability to carry vs check...

Sidergirl... Thanks so much for this information.

Thanks. I have been reading about it. My bag size isn't the issue..I think. The worry I have is the weight. UA said nothing about weight but the LH is the last short hop to final destination and they weigh carry on luggage.

The best rule to follow is: "always pack according to the most restrictive airline requirement you will have on your trip." Now, is your short hop on LH on an RJ or a mainline-size plane? If it's an RJ, you may have to valet check the bag anyway (overheads can be very small)...

The best rule to follow is: "always pack according to the most restrictive airline requirement you will have on your trip." ...

One of the linked articles had a tip, concentrate on the 9" size of the rule as that is what will stick out of the sizer, also the sizer being an inch bigger at 10" as well. A Gate Agent would have to bend down to check the longer length.

Good points all.

The best rule to follow is: "always pack according to the most restrictive airline requirement you will have on your trip." Now, is your short hop on LH on an RJ or a mainline-size plane? If it's an RJ, you may have to valet check the bag anyway (overheads can be very small)...

One of the linked articles had a tip, concentrate on the 9" size of the rule as that is what will stick out of the sizer, also the sizer being an inch bigger at 10" as well. A Gate Agent would have to bend down to check the longer length.

Good points all.

The last leg is on a scarebus A321. I really want to thank you guys for all the info and tips. :)