How do we deal with various currencies on South America cruise?

cauboi

This might have already been answered multiple times, but my question is how to deal with all the currencies of the various countries on the HAL cruise to South America. We'll bring dollars of course, but hesitate to use a credit card. We'll be in at least six different countries. Sorry to sound so naive, but this is only the second cruise for us, the first time all we had to worry about were Euros. Thanks.

We sailed from Rio to Valparaiso last December. In Brazil, we could use either reals or USD. In Uruguay, they would take both reals and USD. Uruguayan currency was very expensive to get at home, so we didn't buy any. In Argentina, we used USD. I think at the time that you couldn't get Argentinian currency outside of Argentina. In Chile, we used Chilean pesos and USD.

Take an ATM card and get local cash that way.

If you pay using USD you're extremely likely to get screwed rate-wise. We don't expect Mexican or Canadian citizens to come here and use their money without paying a hefty surcharge to do so, the same goes the other way too IMO.

Part of the answer depends on what you will be using the money for. We have found for most items $US work just fine. Some places (mainly state run places) do require local currency. In Argentina almost everyone takes $US but be sure to know the official rate. We paid for dinners in Buenos Aires with dollars and got great exchange rates.

Take an ATM card and get local cash that way.

If you pay using USD you're extremely likely to get screwed rate-wise. We don't expect Mexican or Canadian citizens to come here and use their money without paying a hefty surcharge to do so, the same goes the other way too IMO.

Don't use the ATM's in South America! The ones in Brazilian airports tend to be hacked. Your bank account will be emptied while you cruise.

Don't use the ATM's in South America! The ones in Brazilian airports tend to be hacked. Your bank account will be emptied while you cruise.

I've traveled to Chile and Brazil four times since 2006, most recently in 2012, used ATMs every time and haven't had any issues.

I can guarantee you not every ATM in South America is hacked. if so, every bank would be shuttered and the past World Cup would've been a tourist disaster.

I purchased Argentine and Chilean Pesos at the airport in Atlanta ( I know, the rate and fees are terrible,) but it was convenient and I got smaller denominations. I would not use Argentine Pesos...dollars were accepted everywhere we went (We were on the same cruise as boulders:)) You can turn in your paper currency at the airport on the return, BUT, I was told, after I made my purchase, that no bank in the USA will take the currency from Argentina. I used my American Express Card in all countries without problems.

I agree with boulders, I would not use ATM's. I used the local currency at craft stands and as gratuities to tour guides just to get rid of it. Even on the Amazon River dollars were accepted!

I am now faced with the same dilemma for our upcoming cruise for Peruvian Soles for our 3 days in Lima. I probably will order a small amount from my bank. Oh, and I made sure to request bills in mint condition.

Enjoy your time in South America....it is a beautiful destination...we are returning for the 3rd time in 3 years.

Karen

Why do you hesitate to use a credit card? For us, on cruises involving multiple currencies, that's far easier than the hassles of having enough cash but not ending up with excess. On our recent T-A cruise (6 different currencies) we used our HAL-Barclay Visa card extensively and had no foreign transaction fees!

Edited by catl331

I use a credit card at ATMs to get currency. I have several that do not charge currency exchange fees and with minimal cash advance fees. I also have an ATM card that reimburses ATM fees and also does not charge currency exchange fees. However, if I am at all concerned about the security of the ATM system I use the credit card because it has far more protections in case of a hacking issue.

I've traveled to Chile and Brazil four times since 2006, most recently in 2012, used ATMs every time and haven't had any issues.

I can guarantee you not every ATM in South America is hacked. if so, every bank would be shuttered and the past World Cup would've been a tourist disaster.

Because you have been fortunate doesn't mean that everyone else will enjoy the same luck. I used an ATM in Barcelona, and they wiped out my bank account. One piece of advice I read somewhere (perhaps here) is to not use an ATM next to a major tourist attraction. The bank ATM that I used was across the street from La Sagrada Familia.

Because you have been fortunate doesn't mean that everyone else will enjoy the same luck. I used an ATM in Barcelona, and they wiped out my bank account. One piece of advice I read somewhere (perhaps here) is to not use an ATM next to a major tourist attraction. The bank ATM that I used was across the street from La Sagrada Familia.

I agree! We just don't use credit cards outside of NA, unless it if for a hotel.

And La Sagrada is the only place we've ever encountered pick-pockets in all our cruises throughout the world! There were also some "helpful" types around with a few interesting scams we saw working the crowds.

Both dH and I have for-travel-only accounts with a limited amount available. Definitely don't use a debit/ATM card connected to a large personal account.

This has happened to us in two different US cities, America's financial infrastructure is vastly more susceptible to fraud that many other nations.

You have to always be cautious, but there are safe ATMs. Credit cards are better, though, agreed.

FWIW, counterfeiting is a major problem in South America and most countries take US dollars: however, they only will take new bills with no marks or tears on them. The only exception is Ecuador, they actually use the US dollar as their currency and you'll see some of the most worn, decrepit, thread bare bills that you have ever seen in circulation there. Note: when you spend US dollars in a South American country you'll get your change in their currency. Your change can even be counterfeit too, see true story below:

Counterfeiting is a major problem in Peru as well as most of South America. We were in Peru (land package trip) a couple years ago and we even got a counterfeit coin. It was a 5 soles coin similar to the picture below:

th_coin.jpg

I couldn't believe it. It was made from two metals, had printing on both sides, and was only worth about $1.67 (back then). I received it from a "legitimate" Chinese restaurant in a Lima seaside strip mall. I couldn't tell the difference; however, the local merchants/vendors could and didn't want it. I tried three times (post office, flea market, and a store) and was unsuccessful each time. I asked who would go to this much work to counterfeit a coin worth just $1.67; and was basically told "this isn't the US, this is Peru, etc.". Counterfeit bills & coins are in the system. Peruvians that get them don't throw the counterfeit Peruvian money away (and lose the money) they just spend it and/or pass it on to someone else (like an unknowing tourist). Mine was passed to one of the Machu Picchu switchback runner kids; when he came on the bus for his tip, he got it. I'm sure that he knows how to "get rid of it" too.

In Peru they will take US dollars, but because of the counterfeiting problems; they only want new US dollars. Many places will not take US dollars that are torn, marked on, or show any age. Note: A merchant can't take a chance on receiving counterfeit US money, he can't just spend it or pass it on. He has to take it to a bank and exchange it for Peruvian soles. The bank won't take counterfeit US dollars so if it turns out to be counterfeit he (basically) loses the money.

We cruised around Cape Horn, from Los Angles to New York and never changed currency. We used a credit card for a few purchases in stores (a camera battery, a T-shirt and a museum); street vendors took dollars. Do bring "clean" dollars in smaller denominations... I had my bank go into their vault to bring out fresh bills, not necessarily new but at least clean, non-creased, unfolded - there is a lot of counterfeit US currency in SA.

If you get local currency in return as change for a purchase it can be good to have to tip a guide.

Argentina has a street value for US dollars much higher than the official exchange rate and many folks used that to their advantage but we weren't out to buy much anyway so just used our dollars with the vendors.

We only use ATMs at banks or you can go inside the bank to make your transaction with your ATM card at the teller if you are concerned.

If you bring a credit card or ATM card to use out of the country be sure to alert your banking institution before you leave because the bank might freeze your card as a fraud concern. They will want to know what countries and what dates you will be in each.

Hoping you have an enjoyable time visiting South America. We did! m--