What to do in Olympia (Katakolon)?

sns1

• 4 months later...

We were in Katakolon last week and booked George for a full day. We are a family of 4, kids are 17 and 20. George was amazing. He responded very quickly with options and prices. He followed up with emails from time to time and right before the cruise, he sent a google map picture of the port with arrows as to where we should go to meet him based on where our ship actually docked. He was waiting for us when we arrived. Spent most of our time at Olympia and he gave us a book to take in with us while we toured the ruins. He came to the ticket booth with us to buy the tickets, our 17 year old was free and the 20 year old had a discounted admission. After the ruins, we spent a little time at the museum. We had planned to go to the Mercouri winery, but George suggested we go to the Olympia Land winery instead as it would not be a crowded at the time we would be arriving. He called ahead so they were expecting us. It was a great choice. There were just a few taxi's of people there so we were well taken care of. I believe the tour was 8 euros with 5 wines to taste and a nice little plate of tomatoes and cucumbers right from their garden along with cheeses, meat, bread... Wine was very good and several bottles came home with us. Finally we went to a little beach near the ship for about an hour. No charge for the chairs and umbrellas. Mythos beers were cheap and cold. George was outstanding. Free wifi in the taxi was a bonus too. I can't recommend him highly enough.

We were in Katakolon last week and booked George for a full day. We are a family of 4, kids are 17 and 20. George was amazing. He responded very quickly with options and prices. He followed up with emails from time to time and right before the cruise, he sent a google map picture of the port with arrows as to where we should go to meet him based on where our ship actually docked. He was waiting for us when we arrived. Spent most of our time at Olympia and he gave us a book to take in with us while we toured the ruins. He came to the ticket booth with us to buy the tickets, our 17 year old was free and the 20 year old had a discounted admission. After the ruins, we spent a little time at the museum. We had planned to go to the Mercouri winery, but George suggested we go to the Olympia Land winery instead as it would not be a crowded at the time we would be arriving. He called ahead so they were expecting us. It was a great choice. There were just a few taxi's of people there so we were well taken care of. I believe the tour was 8 euros with 5 wines to taste and a nice little plate of tomatoes and cucumbers right from their garden along with cheeses, meat, bread... Wine was very good and several bottles came home with us. Finally we went to a little beach near the ship for about an hour. No charge for the chairs and umbrellas. Mythos beers were cheap and cold. George was outstanding. Free wifi in the taxi was a bonus too. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Hello Kim,

May I ask how far in advance did you book George? What were the hours of your visit? Did George come into the site and provide a tour of Olympia? How long did you stay in Olympia before moving on?

Many thanks in advance.

Did George come into the site and provide a tour of Olympia?

Greece has very strict rules about guides. Only licensed guides are allowed to provide guided tours, and George is not one. That is why previous posts on this thread mention his arranging for a private guide and providing a book for touring the site.

Edited by CintiPam

• 2 weeks later...
Finally we went to a little beach near the ship for about an hour. No charge for the chairs and umbrellas. Mythos beers were cheap and cold.

When you say near the ship, was that going left or right when off the ship?

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to go to a very nice beach in Agios Andreas or to the Mercouri Estate, there is a little tourist train that makes stops at both. The ticket was 6 Euros for round-trip. The brochure I have says it takes 30 minutes. Just ask at the Tourist Info point where to go, but you just walk towards town and you find the stop. Departures are every 20-30 minutes. The ride is quite scenic.

The beach, umbrellas and chairs were free. It was part of a restaurant and hotel resort. It was really beautiful and a great way to spend the day!

I've been to Katakalon 3 times. The first trip we went to Olympia, the 2nd we stayed at the local beach and this time went to Agios Andreas Beach, which is better by FAR than the one in Katakalon.

Enjoy your time!

Edited by syesmar

• 1 month later...

I went to Katakolon in oktober 2011. I was tjeking out my old links from last time and found this site:

http://www.olympia-greece.org/

Lots of information on Olympia.

I went on a private tour to Olympia, but if I should do it again I would just take one of the buses from right outside the port. I notised you could just walk right up to them. They cost around 10 euro, mayby 12...

The entry to the arkeological site is 6 euro and another 6 euro for the museum or 9 euro for a comboticket.

I do recomend the museum.

If you have time left when you get back to the port I would also recomend the museum of ancient tecnologi.

A smal museum with smalscale models and a lot of reading if you want to understand how it works. Some very surprising stuf in between.

A smal ticketprise mayby1-3 euro

It is in the other end of "town" from the port. On the opposit side of the road from the musik-museum (that I dont recommend, unless you are very interested in musical intruments)

Now i am going back in December and I dont want to do Olympia again. Has anyone done anything apart from Olympia, vinery and beach? I know it is a long shot.....

• 4 months later...

There is really no need to rent a car or take a tour. The train to Olympia is only 10 euros round trip for 1 person, 15 Euros for two people, and 20 euros for four people. The train drops you within walking distance of Olympia Museum and Ruins. The train runs more often when ships are in port.

There is really no need to rent a car or take a tour. The train to Olympia is only 10 euros round trip for 1 person, 15 Euros for two people, and 20 euros for four people. The train drops you within walking distance of Olympia Museum and Ruins. The train runs more often when ships are in port.

Is the train reliable?

We found another couple on our roll call and together hired a car. Sharing halved the cost and it was such an easy drive to Olympia. We were amazed at the size of the village and found the museum really interesting. If you have time on return a wander through the village at Katakalon is worth while too but really the ruins are not to be missed.

Enjoy your cruise, Misty

When you say "hired a car" did you hire a driver as well or just the car? Was wondering how much the rental is. Trying to compare to excursions. Thanks!

We too would like to know about transportation to the site. Is it reliable for back and forth? The cruise has transportation to the port, but does not leave for an hour and I would like to get an earlier start. Are they frequent? I don't want to get stuck there. Would I have any problems getting back to the ship?

When you say "hired a car" did you hire a driver as well or just the car? Was wondering how much the rental is. Trying to compare to excursions. Thanks!

Last June we rented a newish compact from Rent a car Katakolo, 40 euros for a manual, the vehicle was in good condition and we had no problem driving to the Olympia site and back, took us less that 45 mins each way if I remember. Their office is just outside the port area, very easy to find, about 5 mins walk as you get off the ship. No pre-payment, they hold the car for you till pick-up time. An added bonus is that they let us use their wifi after we returned the car at the end of our visit, they themselves very kindly offered.

diplasd@rentacarkatakolo.gr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We planned on taking one of the buses but when we inquired at the ticket booth the lady recommended the train which was like half the price of the bus (can't remember how much) and you got there quick! You have to walk thru the little town and it runs on a schedule so ask the right questions if you choose to do this.

• 1 month later...

Glad to know the train is still running. I read a post elsewhere that said it was uncertain if it would continue, considering the economic downturn in Greece.

Did you have to get admission tickets to the site and museum beforehand?

We will be arriving via cruise ship on 23SEP, just for the day and would like to do this independently.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said there are just some shops at the port. Beaches are about a 10 minute ride. The Olympia ruins are the big draw.

We used Olympia Insider to visit the ruins. Our tour also included olive oil tasting and wine tasting at an agricultural store and a little beach time.

There were just 9 of us in a nice van. Our guide was energetic and informative. She was also very good at putting things in perspective which was interesting in this, an Olympic year.

The prices at the store seemed a little high compared to the shops at the port, but it was interesting to taste the different olive oils and they had a number of flavored oils which you could also taste.

We did not have much time at the beach because my daughter at the beach because our ship left first and my daughter wanted some time to shop at the stores near the port. However our guide was flexible enough to take some of us back to the port while others stayed at the beach.

• 1 month later...

We were in Katakolon last week on board Vision of the seas.

Part of our group went to Olympia. At the end of the pier were tourbuses offering returntickets for E. 15.- p.p with a 2 hour stay in Olympia. The tourguide brought us to the entrance and was willing to show us around.

We toured ourselved and had a quick lunch in the village.

Nice tour and not expensive.

Plenty of cabs there too.

Others stayed in katakalon and took the little touristic train for E. 6.- p.p, it is a 30 minutes tour but you can get out at the winery as well as on a beach and take the next train again.

This train is at the end of the street on a square.

That also worked out great.

Katakolon itself is just 1 or 2 streets filled with shops and restaurants.