Embarkation Blues

gizmo911

Correction: Debarkation

Most of us feel some kind of way the last day/night of our cruise. It feels like such a let down. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or practice that makes this transition better (besides a back to back - lol)

Edited by gizmo911

We usually don'f sleep well thinking about getting off the ship the next morning but we usually walk on the lido deck late at night enjoying the moon and the ocean. breeze, have a late night drink, make sure our final bill placed under our door is correct, etc....but mostly think about our next cruise

I am in the minority, but when I am done with week or more vacation, I am usually ready to head back home. Whether its a cruise or land based vacation, I usually am up early and stay up late and do everything that I can, so I am actually ready to return home. After a week or two at home, then I start looking at the next vacation plan

It all starts with that song in the dinning room (you know the one) then it's a downhill slide from there.

The best cure is to have another cruise booked, already booked, booked on board, or planning to book all works. Second best is to stay a night in the port city or nearby. Seems to ease you out of vacation mode and there is a bit less pressure getting to the airport. After all have you ever flown out of Ft Lauderdale on the day when 3 ships hit port and several are in Miami?

Edited by Miller_KC

I have found that determining the right length of the cruise is important.

Anything less than 7 nights and I am not ready to leave the ship. Seven nights to 12 nights, I have enjoyed myself and ready to go home. Thirteen nights or more and I am contemplating jumping overboard and swimming home.

You have to have other interests and pursuits.

I love golfing...and already have a tee time for the day after our return. One son loves running, so he looks forward to pounding out a 12 mile run upon our return home and running with his track buddies. Same with tennis for our other son. Only initially sad person will be my wife as she has to work the next day.

All of us do look forward to our own beds.

Edited by Badfinger

I have found that determining the right length of the cruise is important.

Anything less than 7 nights and I am not ready to leave the ship. Seven nights to 12 nights, I have enjoyed myself and ready to go home. Thirteen nights or more and I am contemplating jumping overboard and swimming home.

We have only done a 5 and 7 day cruise so far. 5 day was great. The 7 day included two sea days the last two days of the cruise. I have to say that last day got really boring after lunch. Thank goodness we had a Cloud 9 Spa room. I must have racked up 4-5 hours there that last day.

As much as I hate ending a cruise and having to leave the ship, I am always excited to see our dog, and she is happy to see us!

You are 100% spot on Amy!!! This is THE BEST feeling/cure for Debarkation Blues!!!!

your right Miller, i know which song your talking about in the dining room. that got me. its been a week since we got back and all i can think about at work is the cruise and the ship and what i was doing at exactly that time a week ago! LOL. we are looking into booking another one real soon. cant wait. i think im addicted!

Second best is to stay a night in the port city or nearby. Seems to ease you out of vacation mode and there is a bit less pressure getting to the airport. After all have you ever flown out of Ft Lauderdale on the day when 3 ships hit port and several are in Miami?

We agree. After our first cruise, we found that it's a whole lot easier at the airports if you leave a day or two after the cruise.

Our upcoming cruise is a tactical nightmare. We fly in to FLL and get a rental car, stay three days in a rental house, then drive to Miami for a five nighter. We get off that ship, get another car rental and drive to PC where we get on a seven nighter the following day. We get off that ship and stay in PC for another day. By that time, we'll be ready to come home to the snow drifts and cold Michigan weather.

We try to always do a "step down" vacation... Since we live in Florida, after we leave the ship we go to Orlando for a few days, then home. It really helps, although we always joke in the hotel about it being time to go to dinner or a show... :) The one year we did not do this, it was much sadder getting off the ship!

We know that the cruise is over basically after dinner on the last night. Just deal with it! Same with any vacation, really. You know once you go to bed, you're headed home the next morning. That's fine, as long as your vacation was good!

I used to have a hard time coming home but I've been working in a job I love for coming up on two years and am excited to get back to work. Prior jobs I had, coming home from a cruise was misery.

We have often put a deposit on the next cruise while on the cruise in order to snag OBC on the next one so I'm sure that helps too.