Interesting things seen from your balcony?

WeIsCruisin

This isn't specifically Carnival related, but I was just wondering what kinds of things any cruisers have seen while looking out into the water from your balcony or window? Any strange things floating in the water, interesting sea life, UFO's(:D), etc?

On my most recent Breeze sailing at dusk one night we saw what looked almost like baby dolphins swimming with the ship, coming up and down out of the water, it really was magical to see.

We have seen lots of dolphins, but coming up the Pacific from the Panama Canal we saw a LOT of sea turtles. They were so cute, just their little heads were above water and they would watch the ship before diving under. We have seen whales on 2 occasions but they were quite a ways away. We also saw a lot of barracuda in the Caribbean.

We once saw a small boat with a sail stitched together from different fabric with 4 men on board. Even from far away we could tell they were sunburned and looked like they were physically struggling.

They were Cuban refugees trying to make it to America but they were very off course. We stopped and got them. It was the second day of the cruise and they gave us updates throughout the cruise. They were kept in the jail and the ship tried to offload them at every port but no one would take them. We met the US coast guard early am the last day of the cruise and they took them and brought them back to Cuba.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We once saw a small boat with a sail stitched together from different fabric with 4 men on board. Even from far away we could tell they were sunburned and looked like they were physically struggling.

They were Cuban refugees trying to make it to America but they were very off course. We stopped and got them. It was the second day of the cruise and they gave us updates throughout the cruise. They were kept in the jail and the ship tried to offload them at every port but no one would take them. We met the US coast guard early am the last day of the cruise and they took them and brought them back to Cuba.

I was just discussing what happens in this situation last week! I've heard that if they are seen, the ship HAS to pick them up. Is this true? Is it a law or a cruiseline policy? Was also curious to know where they kept them, so thanks, interesting.

This was 15 years ago, but we were told the same thing - that Maritime law requires stranded passengers to be picked up.

It was very interesting to watch as the ship slowed down and opened up a lower door and took them in. We got updates during dinner throughout the week on how they were doing. It was a weird and sad thing that no one took them and the U.S. Coast Guard took them back to Cuba. I understand the laws and why they need to be there, but I will always remember that tiny boat with homemade sail and those guys on there, a couple of them laid out and looking very sunburned and weak. Apparently they were also very dehydrated and weak, but they never did clarify how long they had been at sea. I cannot imagine their thoughts as this giant ship pulls up to them and takes them on.

Good reality check to remember when I think my life is rough.

SHARK!:eek:

Sailing to Cozumel, sea day.....hubby was napping, and I went to the balcony, and looked down. There it was....very large, swimming just below the surface of the water, in the wake.....

Awesome to watch!

During Behind The Fun tour, my group was on the bridge when the ship called the Coast Guard to ask for an emergency evacuation of a passenger with a serious medical condition. The ship was close enough to land for the Coast Guard to send out a boat. I had enough time to make it back to my cove balcony to watch the passenger being taken from the ship.

This isn't specifically Carnival related, but I was just wondering what kinds of things any cruisers have seen while looking out into the water from your balcony or window? Any strange things floating in the water, interesting sea life, UFO's(:D), .

In Glacier Bay while on Alaskan cruise I sat and watched a bald eagle sitting perched on a floating block of ice less than 20 feet from my balcony. The Eagle sat there for at least 10 minutes before spreading incredibly wide wings and flying away. Amazing!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Our cabin was below the bridge, so we had our lights out while on the balcony. I loved being in the pitch dark at night. Anyhow we noticed lights in the sky darting all around. We were so freaked out. Then we realized that they were doing a stargazing seminar on the top deck and it was just the super powerful light pointer of the presenter.

In Alaska: have seen bald eagles sitting in nests along the shore near Sitka, bald eagles sitting on the pier light posts in Juneau, mother and baby seals floating on chunks of ice in Tracy Arm Fjord, bears, whales, bald eagles, and seals in Glacier. Have also seen whales migrating along the Mexican Riviera. Have seen porpoise and flying fish on almost every cruise I have been on.

On the 4 day cruises out of long beach, the sea day the ship just does circles at a very slow speed. A few years ago we were sitting out on deck when we saw a guy in a very small aluminium boat with an outboard motor cruising by. He waved at us as he went by. My wife looked around and even from the lido deck we could not see land.

Edited by welldone60