Interesting things seen from your balcony?

WeIsCruisin

While on the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti, we saw the "green flash" at sunset. It was too short to get a picture, but it was fantastic.

When the conditions are right, a green spot is visible above the upper rim of the disk of the sun. The green appearance usually lasts for no more than a second or two. Green flashes occur because the atmosphere can cause the light from the sun to separate out into different colors like a prism.

Well, I'm going to break a few rules here....it was my parents on the cruise and not me....and they saw it on an excursion, but to me, it would be a pretty amazing sight

Alaskan cruise...tour guide showing the group around the wilderness, then all of the sudden about 50 yards away a moose running for it's life with grizzly bear in tow...and the bear won.

My dad said that the entire tour group was just standing there with their mouths open.

Our Celebrity ship rescued a damaged sailboat in the middle of the Atlantic. It was heading for Tenerife, Canary Islands. She had been caught in a storm and broke her mast. We past water and diesel enough to get to destination. All done by ropes and pulleys as the water was too rough to bring her alongside. Very cool.

On our Norwegian Jewel cruise last year in the Gulf of Mexico, we woke up one morning to thousands of Jellyfish floating by. On that same cruise we saw a man sitting on his balcony with his legs facing the ocean. The crew on the bridge saw him too and were yelling at him to get back on his balcony.

• 2 weeks later...

Azamara Indian Ocean -- a para scope from a (submerged) submarine - (little unnerving!).

Swan Hellenic Sri Lanka -- Hundreds of Hawksbill turtles & a couple Blue whales for good measure.

Princess Diamond Aleutian Islands - the buoys/crab traps from the reality show (crabbing in the Bering -- it was very calm when we passed by ;-)

AHOY SHIPMATES,

Have enjoyed many of the common sights from the balcony when we have been lucky enough to be upgraded to one.....but the most exciting view was from the flightdeck of a Carrier is 1958 It was one of those days when the water was so calm it looked like glass. All of a sudden the largest TURTLE I have ever seen( Much larger than an automobile) surfaced , turned to watch us for about a minute ,then went down again. We were probably the biggest thing it had ever seen also.

Of course since sailing on the cruise ships I've seen many whales but mostly in the LIDO buffet line.

On a Caribbean cruise several years ago we had a med emergency on-board requiring a helicopter evac from Guantanamo Bay. When the chopper was hovering above the deck we saw a chorus-line of deck chairs flying over the upper railing into the water. Never expected to see those floating alongside (but they didn't float for long).

Coming into Boston to the Black Falcon terminal, we have to go past one of the runways at Logan Airport. While we are passing the runway, flights have to be stopped from coming in. These pictures tell why.

IMG_9421.jpg.3a1037b31774b55fbbf39cfd9bfbfa4b.jpg

IMG_9426.jpg.482877b9384e952a3b7d4960de774cce.jpg

Edited by Talisker92

on Grandeur of the seas to Bermuda from Baltimore, we were scheduled to set sail at 4pm September 12th, 2014 and the Blue Angels were scheduled to fly over Fort McHenry at 3pm for the 200th anniversary of the writing of the Star Spangled Banner. Turns out a cruise ship is the best possible seats for an air show. The entire show happened right over our heads. As one fellow cruiser said, its unbelievable to have 6 jets buzzing your ship!