TA versus direct bookings..benefits etc

Elviex

We have to date booked direct with P&O, usually while on board. But I keep reading about how TAs come up with better prices. If this is so, could someone give me some names of recommended TAs please?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've never used a TA. I investigated it a couple of times, but the prices were the same. On one occasion I was offered an incentive - 4 bottles of wine. For me, that's no incentive at all. I like to deal direct. I know what I'm getting. Hasn't failed us yet.......................only time will tell.

Thanks for those replies. I rather suspected names weren't allowed but I can use the clues! And as we have been happy with prices etc we would probably stick with P&O, but nice to hear what others think of different ways of booking.

For the last 2-3yrs the prices of online cruise TA's has been the same as booking direct with P&O because of the cut in commission given to TA's the only difference I have found is occasionally higher OBC given on certain cruises. Certainly not found 5-10% like was normal few years ago.

Yes because of the cut in agents commission there are very few deals. Its still worth checking though and you can usually try and get one to undercut another or say waive the cc fee. Generally weve found one online agent whos prices usually are a touch lower than elsewhere........whoever you book with Bon Voyage ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if you save money through booking with a travel agent but, for me, the assurance of a booking direct with the cruise line will always trump any other method. It gives you instant access to the line to pose any questions, and you can also check for price drops etc. Cut out the middle man, is what I say. I haven't set foot inside a TA's for years, and won't be doing so again.

Having said that, I appreciate that some people prefer to book through an agent, so it's down to personal choice.

The question should be clarified.

Is the OP asking if it is cheaper/better to book a P&O package through a travel agent rather than direct with P&O.

Or is the OP asking if it is cheaper / better to book a package that an agent has put together that involves P&O cruise.

As far as I can see, the answer to the first is probably not a lot, so why bother with the agent.

However the answer to the second, is in my experience there can be a very substantial difference.

The question should be clarified.

Is the OP asking if it is cheaper/better to book a P&O package through a travel agent rather than direct with P&O.

Or is the OP asking if it is cheaper / better to book a package that an agent has put together that involves P&O cruise.

As far as I can see, the answer to the first is probably not a lot, so why bother with the agent.

However the answer to the second, is in my experience there can be a very substantial difference.

Im not sure I get any lack of clarification from the OPs question. Do you book a cruise direct or through an agent. No mention of packaged cruises.

I don't know if you save money through booking with a travel agent but, for me, the assurance of a booking direct with the cruise line will always trump any other method. It gives you instant access to the line to pose any questions, and you can also check for price drops etc. Cut out the middle man, is what I say. I haven't set foot inside a TA's for years, and won't be doing so again.

Having said that, I appreciate that some people prefer to book through an agent, so it's down to personal choice.

For those of us in the UK, price drops are irrelevant as they don't apply.

It is also free for me to phone my TA, but due to the 08 number for phoning P&O and other lines it costs me money to phone them.

I agree with a Nellydean...peace of mind is important to us. As the OP, my question was simply to find out if, in the experience of others in this forum, it is cheaper booking a cruise through an agent or direct with P&O. From what I have seen so far, and bearing in mind Nellydean's comments, direct with P&O suits us.

I agree with a Nellydean...peace of mind is important to us. As the OP, my question was simply to find out if, in the experience of others in this forum, it is cheaper booking a cruise through an agent or direct with P&O. From what I have seen so far, and bearing in mind Nellydean's comments, direct with P&O suits us.

We too find booking direct as we have a fantastic personal advisor and she really sorts everything out, explains and nothing is too much trouble.:)

Im not sure I get any lack of clarification from the OPs question. Do you book a cruise direct or through an agent. No mention of packaged cruises.

Ok, to put it simply, is the OP asking about booking a P&O cruise with P&O flights direct or through a travel agent. Or booking a P&O cruise with independent flights arranged by the travel agent as a package.

Another factor, is it appeared to me that there were three grades of booking.

P&O "Select" - Choice of meal times, etc.

Independent bookings, which get most but not all of the same benefits as "Select"

P&O "Saver" - No choice, etc.

It seemed that Independent bookings were being sold below Saver prices.

So far I have booked two online and one on board. Having read the comments, it may persuade me to go the TA route in the future.

However, has anyone tried to book direct with P&O and asked for the TA's commission to be given as a discount ;)

Just a thought :D

Although P&O do not want TA's to offer discounts they have substantially improved the commission levels they are now offering, so I guess it won't be long until someone breaks ranks.

However we have always used a TA and for us this is also for peace of mind, especially when it comes to after sales service, one short phone call to our TA to explain what we want and we leave them to contact the cruise line and make the necessary amendments, seek additional info. or sometimes to switch our booking to a new offer and save money, which we have done both with a P&O and Princess cruise. Now maybe we would have achieved the same service and result dealing direct, but I rather doubt it, and it would certainly have required much more effort on my part.

So for us we think booking through a TA is by far the best option.