Reservation roulette

kloreece

I made my dinner reservations on the Silver Muse 6/21/17 on the 120th day. Almost every day, I am on the app. No issues. Today, is the 89th day. Now, I have some weird message and my reservation appears to be different. If people, did not reserve early that's their problem not mine. I had this issue on my last Silversea cruise and it worked out, but I don't need this aggravation. Particularly, when traveling with a 78 year old who is easily upset. By everything. What's next? Are they going to possibly give my Silver Suite away because those are all sold out? Emailed my TA tonight and will be on the telephone tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I made my dinner reservations on the Silver Muse 6/21/17 on the 120th day. Almost every day, I am on the app. No issues. Today, is the 89th day. Now, I have some weird message and my reservation appears to be different. If people, did not reserve early that's their problem not mine. I had this issue on my last Silversea cruise and it worked out, but I don't need this aggravation. Particularly, when traveling with a 78 year old who is easily upset. By everything. What's next? Are they going to possibly give my Silver Suite away because those are all sold out? Emailed my TA tonight and will be on the telephone tomorrow.

Not sure I fully understand exactly what is happening but it sounds like your dinner reservations have been changed or dropped? We had our reservation times changed for our last cruise and I spent a little time with an assistant maitre d' in LaTerazza getting that straightened out once we got on board. It was more a nuisance than a real issue and I was able to get everything reset to our original dining times. Never did get an explanation of how or why the times were changed. Nothing else, like tours or cabin preferences, were changed or impacted.

It's one thing when it's just La Terrazza that one has to deal with but when it's every restaurant every night as on the Muse it's another story.

The assistant maitre d' in La Terrazza had full access to our reservations for every night for whatever restaurant we had planned not just La Terrazza. All the reservations are now computerized and available through the tablets maitre d's carry.

Edited by Randyk47

We sail on the Muse in May and I have just checked my dinner bookings. Only one booking has been altered and that is at La Dame. The message tells me to contact the Maitre D' when I board.

I have sent an E-mail to my SS contact and will await her response. This is my only booking for La Dame so I am anxious to ensure it is honoured.

Me too. I purposely didn't book twice. And I picked a day with. O shore excursions for my 78 year old mother to not be tired. My joy is planning my vacation. This is not joyful. But I expect my reservation to be honored.

We may be very naive but have never made reservations prior to a trip. We are on the Muse in May so will see what happens. DH usually speaks to our butler who makes our reservations on board. If there are any difficulties he has a word with the maitre'd. We will be in a veranda suite. I do accept that the dining options are different on this ship but I'm sure with past experience of SS we will be well looked after.

Jane

We may be very naive but have never made reservations prior to a trip. We are on the Muse in May so will see what happens. DH usually speaks to our butler who makes our reservations on board. If there are any difficulties he has a word with the maitre'd. We will be in a veranda suite. I do accept that the dining options are different on this ship but I'm sure with past experience of SS we will be well looked after.

Jane

We don't make reservations for every evening but we're typically celebrating at least one special occasion during our cruises so we typically want a specific restaurant for that. The other consideration is where will we be on a particular itinerary and is it a night we'd say like to eat out on deck at The Grill. After getting nearly closed out of The Grill almost every night on one cruise we pay closer attention to that. Certainly it's more of an issue on the smaller ships like the Wind with its more limited restaurant choices.

More limited restaurant choices but a main dining room which guarantees too accommodate you at any time with anyone. No need to worry about where you want to eat months in advance and then stress over whether those reservations will be honored.

Yeah...I've got to admit that I'm not too worried about how I am treated on the cruise as long as the overall experience is great.

I should be able to technically eat just about any food I want (room, restaurant, or a different restaurant if necessary)? Can't imagine eating on a location of the ship that couldn't be made enjoyable.

To be honest, over the years the whole thing has never had a sense of precision about it. There are several issues at play. The number of people registering for each venue may be greater than the capacity. This means that rather than have it on a first come first served basis, ie early bookers getting everything they reserve, they try to ensure that late or no bookers also get a look in. This penalises the well organised. There is also the tipping in advance thing with some of the MDs viewing access to their domain as a part of the pension plan.

We don't dress up and had a "special arrangement" on a few of our cruises where a table would always be available to us in Terraza. It ended up with quite bun fight with the MD being "told" to comply and he was then all over us like a rash.

There are too many contentions fighting for too limited places by too many people choosing different time planning horizons for there to be any viable solutions that will satisfy all. Personally I don't like deciding where I'm eating tomorrow let alone six months time for every night without even seeing a menu. But we're all different with different priorities.

I hope you get what you want.

By the way .... the adverse comment. I read it as the poster was agreeing with you rather than disagreeing ......

Well Jeff, To digress, on another cruise line, one poster was boasting about getting reservations in restaurants by tipping (bribing) the maitre d' . A very senior person from that cruise line, who was known to read CC, read this post and said maitre d' is no longer employed by that cruise line.

Turnip

Can you tell me what you gain by your nasty comment?

You are couraged to make reservations by Silversea

Where in the world did you see any nastiness in my post? It was a question and a very valid one imo. And feel free to ignore posts which obviously offend your sensitivity. I know I do.

Where in the world did you see any nastiness in my post? It was a question and a very valid one imo. And feel free to ignore posts which obviously offend your sensitivity. I know I do.

As with many things where people don't actually see each other or know each other when chatting, particularly when we're hacked off with a bit of poor service and I think this was a genuine innocent on both sides misunderstanding. We can all forgive misunderstandings because we all sometimes accidentally cause them. There is often at least two different ways to read a post.

Don't fall out or let stirrers derail otherwise generally really friendly and helpful threads that we can ALL enjoy if we are generous and forgiving.

:)