Sample Comparison Spreadsheets

FuelScience

Lots of us create spreadsheets to compare various cruise lines. Of course, you can never capture all the intangibles of a cruise line on a spreadsheet, but it's a good start.

So I thought it might be worthwhile for some of us to share the spreadsheets we've developed to assist others or just show how it might be done. I've posted a link below that will take you to a public folder on Dropbox. When you click on it, you should be prompted to save the spreadsheet (Ams-Bud.xlsx ) to your computer. Note the location you save it to, and you should be able to open with Excel or compatible spreadsheet program. I use BitDefender antivirus, and am confident that the spreadsheet is virus-free.

I prepared the spreadsheet to compare costs for a Budapest/Amsterdam cruise in May of 2017. Please don't pay too much attention to the actual numbers, they are always changing, and these are from a month ago and special promotions that might have been included then may no longer be valid.

If you would like to share your spreadsheets with the forum, you can send them to me at fuelscience at gmail dot com. and I'll put them onto DropBox and post the link on this thread.

I would welcome you comments and suggestions on how to improve my spreadsheet.

FuelScience

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60189370/Cruising/Ams-Bud.xlsx

Excellent, I was just asking about this - see my thread 'Comparing Cruise Lines'. I see from responses there that it is hard to compare apples to apples.

In your spreadsheet is Tauck Cat 4 comparable to Viking Fr Balcony ? i.e. are you using similar cabin classes.

I use Open Office. If you have that, you can just download the file then open it with Open Office Calc. (Open Office is free and can be downloaded and installed easily.) Open Office is entirely adequate as a substitute for Word and Excel.

Your spreadsheet is a lot like mine, but yours is better ;). Mine is flipped, with the different categories stretched horizontally, which I realize looking at yours doesn't make much sense. So my next one will be better!

And I like that by having the cruise lines across the top, you can divide them into two cabin classes.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I cannot open the link......tried multiple times. Oh well. But thank you

for the suggestion. I guess I have an old laptop.

Are you all a bunch of accountants? :confused:

Roz

I'm not accountant--I'm a chemist and a nerd. When I'm going to shell out the kind of money we're talking about for a river cruise ($12K to $20K) for the cruises on the spreadsheet, I want to make sure that I have good information to support a decision on a cruise line.

FuelScience

I cannot open the link......tried multiple times. Oh well. But thank you

for the suggestion. I guess I have an old laptop.

Do you have a spreadsheet program on the laptop? If not, the OpenOffice suite that Wendy mentioned is free and will work well to view and modify the spreadsheet.

FuelScience

Excellent, I was just asking about this - see my thread 'Comparing Cruise Lines'. I see from responses there that it is hard to compare apples to apples.

In your spreadsheet is Tauck Cat 4 comparable to Viking Fr Balcony ? i.e. are you using similar cabin classes.

I tried to compare similar cabins--usually Balcony or French Balcony cabins on the middle deck for this spreadsheet.

FuelScience

I'm not an accountant but I do LOVE decision matrices - and using excel is just easy. My comparison sheet isn't on this computer but if I find it (It's from 2013) I'll forward. I think yours is more comprehensive:D I use decision matrices for so many vacation decisions!!!

And yes, Lois, the link goes straight to an excel spreadsheet. When I click, I'm asked to save it to my computer- that's how I have my laptop set up. So you need to have a program available to be able to see the document....

It will be much easier to use/adapt as an excel spreadsheet, but a pdf might be more universally viewable?

WOW, the spreadsheet is great. I also do a similar Excel Spreadsheet for each of our trips designating Day #1, Day #2, etc. as to where we will be, what tour we will take (and even sometimes, add what clothes I will wear that day.....I know, OCD). But it sure does help in planning. Thanks for sharing your spreadsheet.

Cole

Good idea, Hoyaheel.

I downloaded Fuel Science's spreadsheet and printed it to a pdf. Hopefully that is attached.

I think that another way to put this on the web so that it can be accessed in spreadsheet form by those who don't have Excel or similar, would be to upload it to Google Docs. They have a spreadsheet option, and the viewing/editing software is native to Google Docs. So the spreadsheet can be accessed and edited online without the user having to have Excel or similar installed.

Just a thought, if Fuel Science wants to try that.

Sample Spreadsheet from Fuel Science.pdf

I'm not an accountant but I do LOVE decision matrices - and using excel is just easy. My comparison sheet isn't on this computer but if I find it (It's from 2013) I'll forward. I think yours is more comprehensive:D I use decision matrices for so many vacation decisions!!!

And yes, Lois, the link goes straight to an excel spreadsheet. When I click, I'm asked to save it to my computer- that's how I have my laptop set up. So you need to have a program available to be able to see the document....

It will be much easier to use/adapt as an excel spreadsheet, but a pdf might be more universally viewable?

The link Chris posted works for me!:):)

Edited by Lois R

Good idea, Hoyaheel.

I downloaded Fuel Science's spreadsheet and printed it to a pdf. Hopefully that is attached.

I think that another way to put this on the web so that it can be accessed in spreadsheet form by those who don't have Excel or similar, would be to upload it to Google Docs. They have a spreadsheet option, and the viewing/editing software is native to Google Docs. So the spreadsheet can be accessed and edited online without the user having to have Excel or similar installed.

WOW...that works for me:D...THANK YOU!

Great Spreadsheet. I usually have cost per person per day to help compare itineraries that are different lengths. Also if there is a desire to spend one or two nights before or after sometimes you can still use included transfers and sometimes not, so I include an estimate of those costs.

Thanks for posting this

Good idea, Hoyaheel.

JP,

You are THE MAN for all things tech, be it tracking your walks in Europe or spreadsheets! You always have good ideas. So the link below should take you to the Google Docs version of the sheet.

Also, I added a per person per day row as mj_holiday mentioned. Good suggestion!!

FuelScience

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uJu2dfUOzNjTw6ci1acuUl7x43EGTi-jFZ5QuRHf020/edit?usp=sharing

Wendy,

Do you see anything on your sheets that I should add to mine? Any suggestions for improvement would be welcome.

FuelScience

I usually calculate a per diem cost. And often have two columns or rows for air--one for Premium Economy and one for Business. We try not to fly Coach over the oceans any more. And the size of the ship or boat--if it's an ocean cruise I'd include the type of dining--we try to avoid set dining, so that would be a factor--I know this doesn't matter on a river trip.

I'd also probably list or summarize the situation with included versus optional excursions, to level the playing field when analyzing the cost.

And I'd list a particular excursion that I'd want to do specifically. So for the Seine, I want to make sure I have the choice to see the Bayeux Tapestry.

And ports--whether or not there are any ports that are different--i.e., Honfleur on the Seine route would be a bonus decider.

You know spreadsheets are all well and good but frankly we just decide where we want to go, look in our trip piggy bank, ring up our TA and just go for it.......

Life's too short and unpredictable!

Safe travels and have fun!

Kathy

your spreadsheet is good, but I would add a few additional items:

1. Cost of excursions (some include all some include only one per day)

2. Airport pickup and drop off charges.

3. Included hotel stays before and or after the cruise.

4. included meals on shore during the cruise.

5. Flexibility of arrival day and departure day.

For us the real determination is the itinerary followed by how a particular line has handled low and high water levels over the past.

Hi Kathy, I think we were in touch last year when we both cruised Paris to Normandy on Avalon! The spread sheet I found very interesting . Good way to compare cruise companies. I noticed Uniworld wasn't included. No plans for this year haven't seen anything that interest me. How about you?

I'm emailing you my spreadsheet - there are 3 tabs - comparing boats, itineraries, and a quickie on the whether or not to do the pre-cruise package in Prague (we opted to spend extra time in NUE, as did my parents, but my in-laws opted for the Avalon tour)

I certainly don't expect these are helpful for everyone. Same with packing lists or restaurant or hotel reservations. We're all different (thank goodness!) But for those who DO find them helpful, examples are great!!

Edited by Hoyaheel