Ventura

TOMOGP

Firstly my apologies if this has been covered before

We sailed on Ventura about 2 months after its maiden voyage, we hated it the layout was poor the children (and some adults) behaviour was to be kind poor. The children dominated the main pool, my wife who is disabled was told use the adult only pool, fine but it could only be reached by descending some 12/14 steps no good for her.

Adult behaviour turning up for breakfast in night dress's including bare feet.

Now our problem is it is doing the very itinerary that we want to do next year, has the layout improved for example the venue for films was right by the main thoroughfare so continually disturbed whilst trying to watch, have the timings improved? we went to watch a talk at 9pm one evening yet the kids had the area till 8.45 were excited from that and didn't leave making the talk a waste of time.

Sorry its long winded we enjoyed Azura so has Ventura improved or not please.

Personally I find them to be almost identical, but my preference edges towards Ventura, I much prefer Ventura's old Ramblas layout of what is now The Glass House, to that of Azura, and I am not really a fan of Azura's outdoor screen, except when they are showing football; but the layout is unchanged and is identical to Azura, which you say you enjoyed.

Also Ventura is due a refit in April next year, so should be spruced up a bit for your cruise.

It is now a lot better than you previously experienced but still below Azura I think. The itinerary will also have an effect on how well things go.

Regards John

Its the Christmas one to the Canaries with NYE in Maderia

We have been on Ventura 4 times, first was the 3rd cruise after her launch and last in March this year. The layout has not really changed.

This year films were shown in the main theatre so no longer affected by people walking passed.

In my opinion the behaviour of passengers now is worse than it was in the earlier days.

The staff seem to less happy on Ventura than they are on the other ships and less willing to interact with the passengers ( perhaps because of the way that the passengers treat them ).

After our cruise in March this year we seriously considered cancelling the other cruises that we had already booked but in the end we still went on Oriana in June and Azura 2 weeks ago but we have switched December cruise on Ventura to Adonia and have said we will never cruise on Ventura again.

Our last cruise on Ventura was quite poor, primarily due to poor service and some unruly passengers. There was quite a long thread some time back started by a couple who had experienced major problems from a family of travellers who were in the next cabin to them and it transpired that many others had experienced the same issue - it seems to be the ship of choice for the travelling community. Unfortunately, most of the comments got deleted by the moderators, which was a shame as they were all true. Ventura and Azura are our least favourite ships, primarily due to the lack of a Crows Nest.

Our last cruise on Ventura was quite poor, primarily due to poor service and some unruly passengers. There was quite a long thread some time back started by a couple who had experienced major problems from a family of travellers who were in the next cabin to them and it transpired that many others had experienced the same issue - it seems to be the ship of choice for the travelling community. Unfortunately, most of the comments got deleted by the moderators, which was a shame as they were all true. Ventura and Azura are our least favourite ships, primarily due to the lack of a Crows Nest.

Selbourne I think you are right about the travelling comunity preferring Ventura, we have seen groups of them on 3 of our Ventura cruises but they were only a problem once. We have noticed that heavy drinkers seem to be more prevalent on Ventura for some reason.

Its the Christmas one to the Canaries with NYE in Maderia

It's a school holidays period roughly but I do not see absolutely huge numbers on board as many like a sunny summer break. Quite a few families though maybe with extended groups. Should be quite a good mix for Christmas I feel.

Regards John

We spent months researching this ship with the help of CC members. Here is our review of our holiday. Returned last Friday, the 1st

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=590587

A very balanced review. I think that most of the problems regarding unruly passengers relate mostly to the short cruises. We did a 4 day one and service levels were poor. It was as if the staff couldn't really be bothered, as passengers were on board for a short time only. We had a 14 night cruise on Ventura some years earlier and didn't have any of these problems. Pleased to hear that you still enjoyed the cruise in spite of the issues that you experienced.

We spent months researching this ship with the help of CC members. Here is our review of our holiday. Returned last Friday, the 1st

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=590587

An excellent review. I'm booked on Ventura next year shortly after her refit, and as a first time cruiser it helps a lot to see reviews like this. Thanks.

Les.

Selbourne I think you are right about the travelling comunity preferring Ventura, we have seen groups of them on 3 of our Ventura cruises but they were only a problem once. We have noticed that heavy drinkers seem to be more prevalent on Ventura for some reason.

The only time we've had lots of travellers on a ship recently was Azura and there were several large families.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

TOMOGP

Like you I went on Ventura in her early days and said never again. Last year was more or less forced to go back as there wasn't anything else leaving Southampton at that time. I was very surprised by how much the ship had improved, so much so, that I booked a further two cruises while on board. I did those earlier this year and now have 3 further cruises booked on her including 2 35night cruises. OK, I travel during term time so very few children are on board but that also applied to my first cruise on her.

Biggest problem I found was getting a seat in the theatre for the evening shows, but apart from that there isn't to me much wrong with her or the staff.

As to the travelling community, that seems to be an issue on a number of ships. There were major problems with a group on a QM2 Christmas cruise I did a few years ago.

The only time we've had lots of travellers on a ship recently was Azura and there were several large families.

Very concerning that the appeal seems to be spreading beyond Ventura. I guess that it's only natural that Azura would be next. Out of interest, was it a short cruise?

Last year on Aurora, 24 nights, Caribbean, S'ton to S'ton. There was a large family group, which others said was a traveller family. They did tend to take over any venue they were in, grouping 3 or 4 tables together, encroaching on the dance floor by dint of numbers. If they took to the dance floor there was very little room for anyone else, as they tended to dance in groups. But they caused no trouble as far as I could tell and participated in various activities around the ship individually and in couples.

I know my sight is not as sharp as it used to be, but how does one spot a traveller among such a large number of passengers, presumably they don't let them take their caravan on board?

Good review presto, wondered how you'd got on!

I've just reread our review and it made me smile. Some of the 'issues' we had would cause some passengers to freak out (I.e. the smoking issue). We just go and enjoy. I think every ship we have sailed on has had negative things, but life's too short to dwell on it and having looked at the news tonight about those poor people in the Caribbean, worse things can certainly happen.

Thoughts are with them tonight.

Great review Presto. Ventura is one of our favorite ships.

When we were aboard Oceana in 2011 we had a large family from the Traveling Community. Their choice of dress was a little different to ours but their behaviour was perfect. Unlike a so called regular family we encountered at Christmas on Azura who thought it was acceptable to drink themselves to oblivion and then fall asleep at the dinner table.

I know my sight is not as sharp as it used to be, but how does one spot a traveller among such a large number of passengers, presumably they don't let them take their caravan on board?

They do have two distinct accents for Romany and Irish Travellers. They may behave in a slightly different traditional way but not normally a problem. I don't think they will start the grabbing amongst a mixed group of passengers on a cruise.

Regards John

They do have two distinct accents for Romany and Irish Travellers. They may behave in a slightly different traditional way but not normally a problem. I don't think they will start the grabbing amongst a mixed group of passengers on a cruise.

Regards John

Agree with you John. As with everything, it is the bad ones that tarnish the rest. A cousin of mine married into the travelling community 40 years ago and they are appalled by the reputation of some of their community. Very difficult group to know well as they do keep to themselves a lot.

Jon

Thanks for all the replies

Well appears to us there is still a nagging doubt about Ventura so decided to go on our favourite ship Arcadia on another itinerary

Sometimes it is best to stay with what you know and then you know you are going to have a great time. Ironically, we nearly booked Arcadia and went with Oceana one year as we didn't know the ship. Bet you think we were mad. :-)

When she has a refurb. give Ventura a go - you may, like us, be pleasantly and totally surprised. Have a great cruise on Arcadia.

P.S. Re travellers on the ship - the only travellers we saw were cruising kind ...