Personal Belongings During Excursions

BubblesJo

Hi all,

I apologize if there is already a thread for this, I did not see one in the first few pages.

I have only been one one cruise and sadly it was rerouted to New York due to hurricane Matthew.

We are cruising again in May and should actually be going to the Caribbean this time! This will be our first time doing the shore excursions, so I was just wondering where our personal belongings are kept during these? (wallets, purse, etc)

We will be doing Snuba in Grand Turk and the Historical tour and snorkel in Freeport.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I apologize if there is already a thread for this, I did not see one in the first few pages.

I have only been one one cruise and sadly it was rerouted to New York due to hurricane Matthew.

We are cruising again in May and should actually be going to the Caribbean this time! This will be our first time doing the shore excursions, so I was just wondering where our personal belongings are kept during these? (wallets, purse, etc)

We will be doing Snuba in Grand Turk and the Historical tour and snorkel in Freeport.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Depends on the excursion you do - Sometimes there are lockers available at the spots you go to, Sometimes you can keep your belongings in the vehicle you came in which I would never do because you never know what can happen to your stuff if your not there, other times you have to keep it with you

I would suggest you search for a lockable type bag that allows you to secure it somewhere while you are in the water or away from it. I found a thread about the KYSS bag on here and looked into getting one for that purpose. We have used it on 3 cruises so far and does work well for those occasions. There are probably other type of bags similar so the internet is your friend. But hope you enjoy your cruise and all the great activities you have planned.

If you on on a boat or bus, then you can leave your stuff on that...but you will NOT need your wallet, unless you're shopping or on a "tour"...anything with water, take ONLY the bare necessities! Bring 1 credit card and a bit of cash. Of course, you will need the ship's card to even get off the ship. All of those things are waterproof (yes...even cash won't be hurt if it gets wet!) Stick them in hubby's velcro pocket on swim trunks! No one will bother towels or flip flops, etc...

I have a small plastic case on a lanyard I bought in the on-board gift shop for $5 or so that is roomy enough for a thin coin purse I put cash and driver's license in. My waterproof camera goes in the water with me. The plastic case on a lanyard goes around my neck and then tucked into the top of my swim suit. I don't care if it looks funny. My stuff is safe while I snorkel, climb falls, etc....

We only take off what is truly needed. DH uses a small billfold as a wallet- some cash, a CC, DL, Ship card. My wallet is the same.

For water excursions, I use a DryPack alligator wallet and a water proof camera. Both are half-hitched to my tankini shoulder strap and stored in my bra. DH keeps his wallet in his trunk's pocket. No problem with anything in our wallets getting wet.

If doing a combo tour, the towels can/will stay in the bus but our wallets come with us.

We do not bring anything else of value. In our bag we'll bring our snorkel gear, towels a small first aid kit and baby powder (for sand removal). Maybe a cereal box from the ship. Phones, passports, 99% of the stuff that's in my regular purse doesn't come ashore. Usually it doesn't even come onboard.

I also use the DryPak Alligator bags. I put my Driver's license, 2 credit cards and however much cash I may need. Also have a water-proof camera. I slip my small wrist watch inside the Drypak bag so that I can see what time it is. Don't ever take more than you need on a shore excursion as far as valuables, cash and credit cards. If it's lost of stolen, it will be a nightmare. I had my purse stolen a mile away from home, while my husband was in Italy. I spent the entire day canceling credit cards, closing out my bank accounts, and getting a new driver's license. You can't do any of that stuff while you're on a shore excursion. All of our wallets and cash get locked in our room safe as soon as we are on the ship. Look on Amazon for the Drypak pouches. They are extremely water-tight. I own 3 sizes of them.

If there are two of you traveling together, each of you should carry your own ID and S&S card. We misplaced the waterproof "wallet" that contained both IDs and S&S cards on a recent cruise... Luckily we found it at one of the shops we had visited. They were waiting for us to walk through the door. This was a lesson learned for us... At a minimum, if one of us loses our IDs, the other can get back on the ship and get the passport out of the safe...

My fianc? carries any money we need in a waterproof pouch

https://www.amazon.com/3Cworld-Universal-Waterproof-Boating-Swimming/dp/B00XXLHYXE/ref=sr_1_13?s=outdoor-recreation&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1488404533&sr=1-13&keywords=dry+pak&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

We don't really take anything but some money and maybe one card with us on excursions whether on a ship or land vacation.

If we have a beach bag as well, that usually stays in the boat or whatever and just has a cover-up, towel, sunscreen, stuff like that.