Re: Coral Princess Bayou Cafe

Kingofcool1947

DW and I will be on the Coral Princess in October for 15 day Ocean to Ocean cruise, Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco. First sailing on the Coral.

We are thinking of trying the Bayou Cafe. Would you recommend it, as there is a $29.00 surcharge per person?

Also, is it allowed to order more than one starter, and more than one entree per person, or is it limited to one of each? I am a hearty eater, and enjoy sampling new cuisines when on a cruise. ;p

What on the menu do you recommend I try?

Is there a dress code for dining at the Bayou Cafe?

Thank you.

The generous portion of excellent steak was more than enough for us.

However, we were not impressed...

All of the sides were spicy cajun.... We actually tried asking for a nice baked potato.

We were not impressed with the dining area or the ambiance.

A piano player played easy 'elevator / funeral parlor' music for a few minutes... Then dead silence, while the understaffed servers rushed back and forth by the table, with the floor in that area that seemed to emphasis, instead of mute, every footstep. Not upscale or relaxing.

The CORAL really needs to rethink this venue, so that it also serves as a decent steakhouse. A this is sorely missing on the ship.

It has been a wlhile since we sailed the CORAL... last spring....

Based on that, I will report that the service and food in the Main Dining Room was excellent!!

We did stick to that on most nights, and were very happy.

The buffet seemed to be very very poor.

Edited by Wishing on a star

The best meal I had on our 10 day Panama Canal cruise was in the Bayou Cafe. Lamb Lollipops, which melted in my mouth.

Our waiter brought us a sampler of all of the sides, none of them were great, most were just so-so.

The piano player was just a kid, and seemed clueless when I requested some "traditional jazz". The dining room is supposed to be New Orleans themed, hence the murals on the walls and Mardi Gras beads on your table.

From what I hear, only 1 main course is included in your $29 cover charge. You might be able to get a 2nd entree for an additional fee of $10.

We have sailed on the Coral Princess 3 times over a 3 year period. We have not been aboard the Coral in the last two years so I can't speak as to current conditions. We ate in the Bayou Cafe at least twice on each cruise. Our service was excellent each time but we always ate early in the evening when it was not crowded. At that time you could order an 8 oz lobster tail for $5 extra. We found the Cajun dishes to be very good and not overly spicy. The filet mignon is our favorite steak. It was always tender and juicy. The dress code is smart casual even on formal nights in the main dining rooms.

I've been to the Bayou Cafe on both the Coral and Island Princess. I'm not a fan of spicy food but still enjoyed it and would do it again. I had the gator ribs, soup and the best filet mignon I've had in a very long time. I had a loaded baked potato. It was more than enough food. I couldn't finish it and I didn't have the bread.

We've been to the Bayou Cafe on the Island Princess. They will bring you a sampler platter that includes all of the appetizers. The food is spicy, but delicious. My DH spent two years in Louisiana, and he said it was probably the best Cajun food that he had eaten since he was in New Orleans.

They also make a wonderful mint julep. ;)

We have sailed on the Coral Princess 3 times over a 3 year period. We have not been aboard the Coral in the last two years so I can't speak as to current conditions. We ate in the Bayou Cafe at least twice on each cruise. Our service was excellent each time but we always ate early in the evening when it was not crowded. At that time you could order an 8 oz lobster tail for $5 extra. We found the Cajun dishes to be very good and not overly spicy. The filet mignon is our favorite steak. It was always tender and juicy. The dress code is smart casual even on formal nights in the main dining rooms.

This was our experience. The lobster tail was huge and well worth the extra $5. It's been awhile since we were on the Coral though so things may have changed.

Do you suggest making reservations for dinner in advance of boarding. We are sailing on Nov.11 and I wonder if I should do reservations for both specialty restaurants before hand, or am I safe just waiting until we are actually onboard?

Can anyone tell me the 'formal nights,' on the 10 day Panama cruise so I don't make reservations for those nights?

Do you suggest making reservations for dinner in advance of boarding. We are sailing on Nov.11 and I wonder if I should do reservations for both specialty restaurants before hand, or am I safe just waiting until we are actually onboard?

Can anyone tell me the 'formal nights,' on the 10 day Panama cruise so I don't make reservations for those nights?

For us we never make a res pre cruise.

Don't like trying to schedule those types of things that far ahead as plans always change.

When onboard we go with the flow. If we can't get in on a certain night/time we find another.

We've only sailed Coral once (relative cruise n00bs) but did eat in Bayou Cafe one night. It was a very stormy night and the place was mostly empty as even many of the "iron stomach" folks were lying down in their cabins. (I love my "patch" :hearteyes:). I don't remember what my wife ate but I had steak and lobster and it was better than the last time I had the same thing in Crown Grill. If not for the fact that I simply can't eat very much I'd have no issue returning to the venue. Service was great and food was quite good if not excellent.

Of course if I want better food I can always blow a couple hundred bucks at a restaurant at home but I certainly can't get anything comparable for the same price as Bayou Cafe.