Ultimate Balcony Dining

Monkeycat

My husband and I are taking a 15 day Panama Canal Cruise on the Island Princess in November 2019. In your opinion, does it matter what evening to book an UBD? Would it be better to book it for an at sea day or for an evening that the ship has been in port all day and is sailing for the next destination in the late afternoon/early evening?

Thanks!

My husband and I are taking a 15 day Panama Canal Cruise on the Island Princess in November 2019. In your opinion, does it matter what evening to book an UBD? Would it be better to book it for an at sea day or for an evening that the ship has been in port all day and is sailing for the next destination in the late afternoon/early evening?

Thanks!

That's up to you what you think would be a good night. We have done both....... sometimes we like a sailaway UBD and sometimes an at sea dinner.

If done on a sea day you will need to contend with whatever type of weather is happening and the wind from the ship's forward motion. Depending on where your balcony is located that could be a major factor. I'd hate to try to do it on a forward facing balcony while underway. ;p

We did it while at port at sunset. Lovely! If its a sea day all you get is the ocean. But if your docked at a lovely port do it there. Also the ship is not moving as much. What I am wondering is if you have an inside cabin can you still book this wonderful meal experience? Surely they can do it elsewhere for you? I think I remember asking them about it. They said they have done this before. How about in the sanctuary having it? It makes you feel like a royal king and queen being pampered.

We've done it twice:

2015, leaving Skagway, Alaska, we probably sat down right around the point when the ship had backed out of the Railroad dock and was beginning to pick up speed. We had a starboard-side mini-suite, and it was a little windy on the way out but oh so spectacular. By dessert time, the sun was going down and it got cool, so we moved inside. See Cruise2015-5065 for a sampling.

2017, leaving Mazatlan, Mexico, we sat down as the ship was leaving Mazatlan in its wake. We had an aft-facing suite, and I brought my studio lights with the hope of a great sunset shot. The photographer was later than we expected, so the skies had gotten dark (and/or he didn't take my suggestions for settings)...oh well. See Cruise-508 for a sampling (the first two setup shots show more of what I hoped to capture of the skies than the "real" shot). As an aft-facing balcony, it didn't really get cold, but I do think we moved inside for coffee as we finished dessert.

Long story short, it becomes a compromise of where your cabin is vs. what you'll be seeing. I'm only half-joking when I say that we decide which night we'll have our UBD before booking a cruise. ;)

If done on a sea day you will need to contend with whatever type of weather is happening and the wind from the ship's forward motion. Depending on where your balcony is located that could be a major factor. I'd hate to try to do it on a forward facing balcony while underway. ;p

Exactly, ... That is why we try and pick a late port day.

Exactly, ... That is why we try and pick a late port day.

That's exactly what we have done on Caribbean Princess this Christmas when, although we have aft facing balcony, we have we booked, and pre-paid, for St Thomas and Curacao because they both have a 10pm departure time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did that dinner going from Kauai to Oahu on the Grand. It was well with it.

I'm not sure what the weather is like in Panama in November but if you choose to have it in port you might get a taste of that Panamanian heat & humidity- no wind.

Either way I'm sure you'll love it!

The best advice I have seen is that you want to do it early in the cruise rather than later. Part of the event is a very nice floral centerpiece for your table. Those flowers will last for 4 or 5 more days in your room. Secondly, the very last course is a plate of petit fours. By the time you get to that, you will be pretty full. So, maybe you'll have one. Again, the rest will last for 4 or 5 mored days.

That being said, I have read, here on Cruise Critic, that some people like to have it on the last evening of their cruise. There is, certainly, nothing wrong with that. It sure brings your cruise to a great ending.

Now, I just realized that you are on a 15-day cruise. That gives you a lot of flexibility.

Have a great cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

We had our on the sea after leaving Tahiti and going to Hawaii. I think it was our second day after Tahiti. We did it fairly early and watched the sunset, but it was dark by the time we finished. It took almost 4 to 5 hours because the ship was short handed and the waiter had four dinners on three different decks. So, I would say check to make sure there is enough help.

We're going on Coral Panama Canal in mid-Nov. So as not to have too much humidity would doing UBD between Aruba and Cartagena be less humid than later in the itinerary? Or will that really matter ? Colon is our only late departure (8:00) so we will beat sea with all other choices.

My favorite backdrop was when we had the UBD in Curacao (10 p.m. departure). When we did it in Grand Turk, the scenery was not as nice--our balcony was facing a Carnival ship for the first part of our dinner. Apparently we became the topic of conversation on that ship. We could see a lot of its passengers watching as we were served our dinner. The third time we did it was my least favorite. It was at sea--but on the last night of our cruise. It was DH's birthday. If we cruise again during a special occasion, we will book it for earlier in the cruise and not worry about having it on the actual date.

We had our on the sea after leaving Tahiti and going to Hawaii. I think it was our second day after Tahiti. We did it fairly early and watched the sunset, but it was dark by the time we finished. It took almost 4 to 5 hours because the ship was short handed and the waiter had four dinners on three different decks. So, I would say check to make sure there is enough help.

5 hours!! Was dessert served in bed?

5 hours!! Was dessert served in bed?

We went down and complained. There was no one around. One of the problems was that France and the Philippines were having a disagreement and France would not give the PI workers what they needed to work on the ship. So the whole cruise was under manned. Service was slow because of the labor problems. There were not any Pilipino workers on the ship.