Beware of NCL false advertising

badcruising

We recently went on a Norwegian Cruise and booked the particular cruise ship because Norwegian advertised that they had a golf driving range on board. We were on a 7 day cruise most of which was out at sea with only 1 port so what one could do on the boat was pretty important. The driving range was a key item for us choosing this cruise ship. There was no driving range on the ship at all. I tried to dispute the charges as I felt like I was subject to bait and switch and Norwegian's response stated clearly that they shall not be obligated to honor any booking resulting from misprints or errors of any kind, whether in brochures, advertisements on the Internet ... So beware of NCL because if they advertise certain activities on the ship you are not guaranteed that those activities are actually on that particular ship. It's like advertising a swimming pool but then there isn't one when you board the ship .. may upset a few people who enjoy lying by the pool or taking a swim.

If I can't get any justice from Norwegian then maybe the law will help out as bait and switch is illegal in many states. Wish me luck!

Badcrusing

We recently went on a Norwegian Cruise and booked the particular cruise ship because Norwegian advertised that they had a golf driving range on board. We were on a 7 day cruise most of which was out at sea with only 1 port so what one could do on the boat was pretty important. The driving range was a key item for us choosing this cruise ship. There was no driving range on the ship at all. I tried to dispute the charges as I felt like I was subject to bait and switch and Norwegian's response stated clearly that they shall not be obligated to honor any booking resulting from misprints or errors of any kind, whether in brochures, advertisements on the Internet ... So beware of NCL because if they advertise certain activities on the ship you are not guaranteed that those activities are actually on that particular ship. It's like advertising a swimming pool but then there isn't one when you board the ship .. may upset a few people who enjoy lying by the pool or taking a swim.

If I can't get any justice from Norwegian then maybe the law will help out as bait and switch is illegal in many states. Wish me luck!

Badcrusing

What ship? Can you copy and paste the advertisement that they have a driving range? thanks.

The "driving range" is a net, some balls and a club or two. I've seen it out at the sports courts on a couple of ships (Epic and Jewel), usually laying there unused. It looks like a complete waste of time

The current "What's on Board?" feature on the NCL website does not list a (golf) driving net for any ship, as far as I can tell. However, an older version of the website did. It can be reached by searching "driving net" in the search box at the top of the website. The older version shows a driving net for several ships, such as the POA and the Sun.

Badcrusing

So your plan for the sea days was to be in the driving range from morning to night (except of course for meals)? And because you couldn't do that you could find nothing else to do and you believe you are entitled to some redress from NCL? :rolleyes:

Okay, seems plausible to me.

Info for the Sky, Spirit, Star, Sun and POA all list golf nets. There was definitely one on the Star and it was busy most of the time. A golf net is a very different animal from a golf driving range! Not one ship in the fleet advertises a "range."

So your plan for the sea days was to be in the driving range from morning to night (except of course for meals)? And because you couldn't do that you could find nothing else to do and you believe you are entitled to some redress from NCL? :rolleyes:

Okay, seems plausible to me.

Was thinking the same thing... if I can't find something better to do than swing a club and wack a ball on a beautiful ship, in a beautiful ocean with wonderful company... and allow the fact that the supposed driving range doesn't exist to ruin my fabulous cruise.... well time to start digging...cause I must be a goner...just sayin' :eek:

The OP didn't say that there was only one port day, they said there was only one port. Sounds like one of the Bermuda cruises, so probably the Breakaway or the one that leaves out of Boston.

I stand corrected. And there's certainly no where to swing a club in Bermuda. lol

I don't mean to pick on the guy, IF I booked a cruise based on ONLY ONE THING and it wasn't there, I'd be PO'd too. It's just odd that it's the first post.

Maybe it's me, but how can a golf driving range be the selling point of a cruise? I remember a large net on the Gem, as posted earlier, with a few clubs and balls. I do not recall seeing anything similar on the Breakaway or Star.

Disclaimer: I am in no way in favor of getting anything back from NCL!!! But to answer your question - as a Travel Agent I get requests like this all the time. Today I had a couple looking to go to the Caribbean - the wife will be happy enjoying the beach etc - the husband MUST BE BLE TP FLY FISH... If not they will not book. So maybe the OP really wanted to hit golf balls while out to sea.

Badcrusing

Since this is your FIRST post I welcome you to Cruise Critic and have kept this in mind while reading your post.

I found that the information you provided just doesn't add up or perhaps I'm missing something.

....The driving range was a key item for us choosing this cruise ship....

Wow is about all I can say.

Bait and switch. Yea, they get lots of people booking cruises because they have a driving range at sea. Yea, that is the "driving" force!

(and of course, first post)