Amber Cove - New Port?

sail7seas

I just noticed Nieuw Amsterdam has an itinerary in 2016 that calls at Amber Cove, Dominican Republic. This is the first I've heard of it but think it probably is a Carnival created cruise port in Puerto Plata.

I don't recall any conversation about anyone having visited there on HAL or any cruise line.

Here's a link: http://www.ambercovecc.com/port-information.aspx

I think it's great. I like Grrand Turk, Costa Maya and the 'created port' stops.

Thank you for posting this. It looks great. DR has some lovely white sand beaches. I also love HMC, GT and Costa Maya. I have seen just about anything that's interesting in the Caribbean and now just look for a nice beach to spend a day on. I specifically picked my next cruise, because I have will have two chances at stopping at HMC and once at GT. I enjoy a beach where no one is constantly trying to sell me something. It's funny but I usually end up buying something at HMC and GT where I am not pressured to buy.

Some of us have been to so many of these ports so many times, we've seen what interests us. ;) I've done the required sightseeing and am at a point where sun and relaxation are what I seek from a Caribbean cruise. Of course, you most certainly should suit yourself....... as should we all.

The "point of going" is to escape the cold, snow and ice of New England and get some sun on our faces. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I'm sure that HAL will be offering excursions at this port that will take people to explore the DR. That's the beauty of cruising -- there is always something for everyone to enjoy. Unlike the European cruises, for me the Caribbean is mostly for getting away from the cold and enjoying the rest and relaxation before returning to the cold and work. For some reason I find cruising must more restful than all-inclusive resorts. As a solo female traveller, I also fee much safer on a ship than in a hotel. Like I said, there is something for everyone.

We are cruisers, not travelers. We work very hard and only want to relax on vacation. Walking down an pier to a white sand beach and jumping in to warm, turquoise water is fine with us. :)

Maybe when we retire, we'll turn more into travelers, but in the meantime this works for us!

:confused: Why should we feel the need to defend our choices?

Whoever it was that wrote there are excursions offered by HAL and anyone is free to book private excursions in the cruise line created ports so seems to me it's a win-win. :)

Sit at the beach or hop in whatever transportation and go see whatever it is that you'd like to tour.

Edited by sail7seas

We are cruisers, not travelers. We work very hard and only want to relax on vacation. Walking down an pier to a white sand beach and jumping in to warm, turquoise water is fine with us. :)

Maybe when we retire, we'll turn more into travelers, but in the meantime this works for us!

I'm waiting for retirement so that I can do these long cruises and explore more. I just hope I will still have good enough knees to withstand the exploring. In the meantime, the beach, warm salt water, with nice cold drinks, will do just fine.

Whoever it was that wrote there are excursions offered by HAL and anyone is free to book private excursions in the cruise line created ports so seems to me it's a win-win. :)

Sit at the beach or hop in whatever transportation and go see whatever it is that you'd like to tour.

You asked about a new port of call. Legitimate question. How that devolved in folks having to defend their choices of shore activities is totally beyond the pale.

When we look at cruise itineraries, we look for ports that have an appeal to us for whatever reason and not to satisfy someone else. Private islands are nice as a place to just relax and reflect on how lucky we are. Other ports, like Cozumel, are nice as a place to see, first hand, historical sites that we otherwise would only read about in National Geographic.

Having been to Cozumel on three separate occasions, and not being in the bar scene, we would have to think twice about booking a cruise that included Cozumel.

But if a cruise itinerary includes a private island, we're good with that and will not disqualify a cruise itinerary just because we've visited that island many times before.

That said, adding a new island is always an intriguing idea, simply because it will probably, but not necessarily, be a different experience.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic. Who out there knows anything about Amber Cove, Dominican Republic?

The more ports offered, the more places all those ships roaming the Caribbean have to pull into. As more ports are added to the existing itineraries, we may find some ports a bit less crowded at least on some days.

I would hate to see HAL make an itinerary where you have all these Carnival built sites.

For example -- Ft Lauderdale, HMC, Grand Turk, Amber Cove, etc. Not appealing to us.

THAT is just about what that Nieuw Amsterdam itinerary is. It's fabulous for those who want it and avoidable by those who do not. They are calling it "Tropical" vs. Eastern or Western Caribbean etc

I didn't see anyone "defending their choices" - merely stating their opinions???

It seems when anyone posts about a new port a few people have to pipe in with negative comments about how you are not seeing the "real" port. I'm ok with it. I get enough "real" weather during the winter that I just want to feel some warmth. Since when is going on a caribbean cruise a cultural experience? I have no desire to fly overseas but I don't feel the need to put others down that enjoy it.

New port/old port as long as it has sunshine and warm water I'm happy. Our cruise in Jan we are on Ryndam for 14 days and other then Key West and San Juan, I'm not too sure where we are going (and really don't care) I'm on a cruise and I don't have to cook, clean up or make my bed. I'm a happy camper! Lots of the time we decide at the last moment not to get off the ship. The sun shines at the pool as well as the beach!

Actually I think its good that there is one more port in the Carribbean. There are so many ships this will help spread the ships out more.

Edited by Hflors

Thank you for the information.

Not interested in beaches any more.

These new places that Carnival has been building don't interest us as well.

This port will be located within a short driving distance of Puerto Plata, a city of approx. 300,000 inhabitants that was NOT built by Carnival or Disney. I think it is good that the cruise lines build these centres that allow its passengers to visit areas they would not otherwise have access to other than on a land trip. If you do not like what they built, you just have to keep right on walking through it and visit the rest of the area.

THAT is just about what that Nieuw Amsterdam itinerary is. It's fabulous for those who want it and avoidable by those who do not. They are calling it "Tropical" vs. Eastern or Western Caribbean etc

I was just looking at the 14 day Amsterdam for Jan 2016. I see that you have 2 stops in Key West and of course 2 stops at HMC.

As much as we like Key West, stopping there 2 times in 14 days doesn't appeal to us.

JMO

This port will be located within a short driving distance of Puerto Plata, a city of approx. 300,000 inhabitants that was NOT built by Carnival or Disney. I think it is good that the cruise lines build these centres that allow its passengers to visit areas they would not otherwise have access to other than on a land trip. If you do not like what they built, you just have to keep right on walking through it and visit the rest of the area.

That may be good for people, but even with a walker, I can no longer walk long distances.

I was just looking at the 14 day Amsterdam for Jan 2016. I see that you have 2 stops in Key West and of course 2 stops at HMC.

As much as we like Key West, stopping there 2 times in 14 days doesn't appeal to us.

JMO

I'm not booked on that cruise but I wouldn't mind. :) Maybe I'll think about it.

No one attacked anyone's preferences on this thread. A couple of people stated that Amber Cove is not for them. At the risk of getting flamed, Amber Cove is not for me, either, as I avoid casual visits to malaria zones.

Malaria? I thought it was Chikungunya that people are worried about now. There has been very little written about it on CC. A friend of mine has cancelled her vacation to the Caribbean as she scares easily. I guess when the media gets bored with Ebola, this will be the new "scare" disease. Happily for me, there aren't too many mosquitoes on the beach, where I plan to park myself at every stop on my January cruise.