Amber Cove - New Port?

sail7seas

Malaria? I thought it was Chikungunya that people are worried about now. There has been very little written about it on CC. A friend of mine has cancelled her vacation to the Caribbean as she scares easily. I guess when the media gets bored with Ebola, this will be the new "scare" disease. Happily for me, there aren't too many mosquitoes on the beach, where I plan to park myself at every stop on my January cruise.

there was a huge thread on the Chirungunya a while back (sp?)

some are very concerned and others will just take the common sense precautions

Travel to the Dominican Republic (except for two large cities) would disqualify me from donating blood for a year. I want more than a nine hour port stop for that.

You are permitted to travel to Santo Domingo and which other DR city and still be able to donate blood?

Edited by sail7seas

Nor us. If I'm going to a foreign country I like to see the real country or what's the point in going?

I'm with you. We do some research in advance, if we are going to a purpose-built tourism port, and go see some of the surrounding area when we can. That worked for us at Costa Maya, and Mahogany Bay. I expect it will work if we ever stop at Amber Cove.

I didn't see anyone "defending their choices" - merely stating their opinions???

I didn't see anyone making any disparaging remarks about other people's preferences, either. So IMHO no need for anyone to defend their choice.

Simply because my opinion is not someone else's opinion doesn't make anyone wrong. But I still feel I have the right to state my opinion. Others are entitled to have a different opinion.

I'm with you. We do some research in advance, if we are going to a purpose-built tourism port, and go see some of the surrounding area when we can. That worked for us at Costa Maya, and Mahogany Bay. I expect it will work if we ever stop at Amber Cove.

I didn't see anyone making any disparaging remarks about other people's preferences, either. So IMHO no need for anyone to defend their choice.

Simply because my opinion is not someone else's opinion doesn't make anyone wrong. But I still feel I have the right to state my opinion. Others are entitled to have a different opinion.

I hope you find what you feel you need to see in the Dominican republic. After spending 2 weeks on a land vacation there I'd be pretty ok not moving away from the port. Also took a long tour in Costa maya that ended up at a very bug infested beach in town. I'd be pretty ok missing that too. Having a stop in Costa maya is not a draw for me.

You are permitted to travel to Santo Domingo and which other DR city and still be able to donate blood?

Santiago. Santiago and Santo Domingo are the two malaria free places in the Dominican Republic according to the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/country_table/d.html

Other US blood centers may have slightly different rules. Apparently malaria mosquitoes do not bite during the day and a daytime visit to the Dominican Republic should have almost no risk, but blood centers are extremely cautious.

"Travelers are often surprised to learn that even if they adhered to all of the prevention advice and did not become sick with malaria, recent travel to a place where malaria transmission occurs is an exclusion criterion for blood donation." http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/

It seems when anyone posts about a new port a few people have to pipe in with negative comments about how you are not seeing the "real" port. I'm ok with it. I get enough "real" weather during the winter that I just want to feel some warmth. Since when is going on a caribbean cruise a cultural experience? I have no desire to fly overseas but I don't feel the need to put others down that enjoy it.

Spot on.

I don't cruise the Caribbean for a cultural experience -no jam there for me.Rent-a-beach. To each their own. I do fly to Europe for my cultural fix though.

That being said a new port in the Carib is not a bad thing.

Keep it real CruiseChic :) but gotta run and snowblow my driveway. Brrrr.

Santiago. Santiago and Santo Domingo are the two malaria free places in the Dominican Republic according to the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/country_table/d.html

Other US blood centers may have slightly different rules. Apparently malaria mosquitoes do not bite during the day and a daytime visit to the Dominican Republic should have almost no risk, but blood centers are extremely cautious.

"Travelers are often surprised to learn that even if they adhered to all of the prevention advice and did not become sick with malaria, recent travel to a place where malaria transmission occurs is an exclusion criterion for blood donation." http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/

Thanks, Whogo.

Interesting. And thanks for being a donor. :)

Agree that a new port of call will be refreshing. I believe there was mention of this new development within the past year.

Thanks for the link.

There was an article in USA Today about new ports. The article mostly highlighted the fact that Carnival was developing new ports to call on. it looks like several cruise lines are trying to overcome the "been there -done that" malaise.

Just a bit of info that Carnival just sent out today regarding this port

We're excited to share that Amber Cove - a NEW destination in the heart of the Dominican Republic's breathtaking North Coast, will welcome its first cruise ship when the Carnival Victory arrives on October 6, 2015.

This much-anticipated Caribbean destination gives you a new selling point for enticing your tried-and-true Caribbean cruisers looking for a different destination to visit - and is equally attractive for cruise rookies as well! Designed to serve as the gateway to one of the world's most beautiful cruising regions, Amber Cove features dramatic architectural elements that echo the area's storied Colonial past. The port is situated in a picturesque cove that serves as the backdrop for soaring mountains and lush tropical landscape. Its cobblestone plazas will be lined with a wide variety of retail offerings, including themed restaurants and bars and a marketplace with locally sourced crafts and souvenirs, recreational amenities, and a transportation center for access to land and sea adventures.

In addition, Amber Cove will feature:

• One of the most extensive shore excursion programs available in the Caribbean, offering a wide array of landside experiences including beautiful beaches, exciting water sports and special culinary, cultural and adventure options. Nearby Ocean World, which is one of the region's largest marine adventure parks, will offer guests many great ways to experience and interact with a variety of marine animals.

• Dozens of shore excursions will be available, from cross-country adventures in 4x4 Terracross buggies that traverse the rugged countryside and horseback riding on the beach to snorkeling in crystal-clear waters and swimming in a pristine natural river pool. Guests can also travel via speedboat to beautiful Paradise Island, one of the Caribbean's top spots for snorkeling and scuba diving, or visit rural coffee plantations and sample traditional Dominican cuisine, rum and seasonal fruit. Or for the ultimate luxury experience, guests can reserve their own private beachside bungalow with the services of a personal chef, bartender and staff.

• Amber Cove will also provide easy and convenient access to the nearby historic town of Puerto Plata, named by Christopher Columbus when he discovered the island in 1492. Puerto Plata is home to the first fort built by European settlers in the New World. Visitors to the city can shop in the bustling downtown area featuring numerous artist studios and rum and cigar factories or stroll along the famed Malecon, a three-mile-long open air beach-side boardwalk dotted with bars, restaurants and shops.

Amber Cove will be a featured port on select sailings of Carnival Breeze, Carnival Glory, Carnival Splendor and Carnival Victory from Miami, Carnival Conquest from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Carnival Sunshine and Carnival Valor from Port Canaveral, Fla., and Carnival Fantasy from Charleston, S.C. To learn more, visit GoCCL.com

<snip>

Amber Cove will be a featured port on select sailings of Carnival Breeze, Carnival Glory, Carnival Splendor and Carnival Victory from Miami, Carnival Conquest from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Carnival Sunshine and Carnival Valor from Port Canaveral, Fla., and Carnival Fantasy from Charleston, S.C. To learn more, visit GoCCL.com

Thanks, Lisa. Interesting they mention the Carnival scheduled visits but no mention of HAL. :) I stumbled upon it yesterday.

I was on the Noordam last month and we made a call in the Dominican Republic. We had to tender in and since I was not doing a tour, I decided to enjoy the amenities of the ship. those who went on Tour liked it but those who just went ashore and walked around the pier did not like it. This looked like it might be quite different.

There's also a story on Sea Trade about it, but it focuses more on the Carnival side of things. I would assume that Carnival is the main funder of the stop and the other Carnival Corp lines will use it as well.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/eight-carnival-ships-scheduled-to-call-at-new-port-amber-cove.html?nspPage=1

Sounds nice. I especially like the cabana option. Sounds a lot like the cabanas at Mahogany Bay in Roatan.

There's also a story on Sea Trade about it, but it focuses more on the Carnival side of things. I would assume that Carnival is the main funder of the stop and the other Carnival Corp lines will use it as well.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/eight-carnival-ships-scheduled-to-call-at-new-port-amber-cove.html?nspPage=1

Sounds nice. I especially like the cabana option. Sounds a lot like the cabanas at Mahogany Bay in Roatan.

Yes, similar to Mahogany Bay as well as somewhat like Grand Turk, Margaritaville.

Sounds interesting. Thanks, Sail.

I'm also interested in it. At this stage of my travel, I enjoy a pool/beach day near the dock. :) I like knowing there are tours available and places to visit if it interests someone.

• 7 months later...
I just noticed Nieuw Amsterdam has an itinerary in 2016 that calls at Amber Cove, Dominican Republic. This is the first I've heard of it but think it probably is a Carnival created cruise port in Puerto Plata.

I don't recall any conversation about anyone having visited there on HAL or any cruise line.

Here's a link: http://www.ambercovecc.com/port-information.aspx

I think it's great. I like Grrand Turk, Costa Maya and the 'created port' stops.

There are two cruise ships coming to Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (Amber Cove). Carnival's Victory ship will take its first voyage to Puerto Plata in October, 2015, and Carnival's ship, Adonia will embark on its first voyage to Puerto Plata in April, 2016 via its new brand Fathom, offering a voluntourism experience.

Below, we have included links to provide additional information.

http://www.insidepuertoplata.com/take-a-cruise-to-puerto-plata-heres-how/

http://www.insidepuertoplata.com/voluntourism-with-a-twist-fathom-impact-travel-comes-to-puerto-plata/

THAT is just about what that Nieuw Amsterdam itinerary is. It's fabulous for those who want it and avoidable by those who do not. They are calling it "Tropical" vs. Eastern or Western Caribbean etc

I booked this "Tropical" Caribbean as soon as I saw it. We LOVED this itinerary. In February, it includes Nassau instead of Key West. We sail with our two kids, 9 and 14 and we find the most enjoyable, relaxing ports are the ones where you walk off the ship and everything you need is right there. We're from Canada, so those ports where you can enjoy sun and sand without spending time and $ on an excursion are very appealing to us. We get a day pass for Atlantis which is always fantastic. Amber Cove, I heard, is the site of the first Jurassic Park movie, which is neat. If I got to pick which ports I wanted on a cruise, HMC, Grand Turk, Amber Cove and Nassau would be it. Nice work HAL!