How Much in Advance to Book Air?

LuCruise

OP here...thank you all for the replies. Really appreciate the comments and suggestions. Would be nice if there was a specific time (e.g. right when they are released), but sounds like we just have to budget and decide. And we'll go with the May to Nov timeframe to book for our April 2016 cruise as I do want to ensure that we get a flight that works for us (we will fly in the day before but still prefer to avoid the 7am flight or the one that gets us in late). Also someone mentioned, driving to Buffalo is an option for us too but we'd have to account for hotel costs depending on the flight time so would have to be worth it (and I don't love the option of adding an additional 3hrs onto our travel time).

I see what they are charging for April 2015 (it's been pretty constant the past month) and also for Oct 2015, which is actually the same number...and am hoping we can get a bit cheaper as it's pricey (2400 for four of us). Hopefully the dollar will improve a bit to help.

Edited by LuCruise

I do want to ensure that we get a flight that works for us (we will fly in the day before but still prefer to avoid the 7am flight or the one that gets us in late).
Remember that those desirable flight times may be desirable for other folks as well. As such, you get the law of supply & demand working - pricing may be higher for the desirable routings/times, so be mentally prepared when the question arises "Is it worth it to....?" Only you can judge the worth of timing/routing options, but you should have some values in mind. How much more would you pay for a non-stop? How much of a savings to take a double connect? Do the "what if"s. You get the drift.
and I don't love the option of adding an additional 3hrs onto our travel time.
Again, only you know what your time is worth. To you.
Hoping we can get a bit cheaper as it's pricey (2400 for four of us). Hopefully the dollar will improve a bit to help.
As a friend of mine likes to say "Hope is not a strategy". Yes, I would hope to get the right numbers on a lottery ticket, but I'm not buying a Ferrari because I hope to get that particular ticket this week. Hopes need to be tempered with HUGE doses of reality. If you want to really get into reality, keep your eye on currency FOREX futures for an idea on what the market thinks about exchange rates. And your ongoing research on route pricing will give you an insight into market activity for your city-pair.

And lastly, most commonly air pricing is reported/quoted in terms of per person. To you it's a total outlay, but for discussion, it often works better to quote on a PP basis. Just so everyone is on apples and apples. (There was one thread where only after many postings we found out that the OP was talking about the price for two, when those replying were talking about one. We couldn't understand why he was being quoted so much!)

Would be nice if there was a specific time (e.g. right when they are released) ...
But then everybody would know that that was the time to book. And demand would be intense then. And the law of supply and demand would mean that the fares couldn't be low then. And then the lowest fares would have to be released at some other time.

In fact, the effect of this can be seen in one type of airline booking that I'm familiar with. British Airways has announced a policy that two business class award seats will be released on every flight at the moment that bookings open. That's at midnight GMT, 354 days in advance of the flight. On routes that are in high demand, those two seats can be booked within a couple of minutes.

In fact, last night, I was looking at two routes: Sydney-London (one flight) and Hong Kong-London (two flights). One seat went on the latter route within 30 minutes, the pair of Sydney-London seats went within 45 minutes, and by 8 am another pair of Hong Kong-London seats had gone. This is particularly interesting given that the chances are that those who are booking these seats are phoning from the UK to either Tokyo or Hong Kong to book them, even though it's in the middle of the night in the UK.

This is what happens if you make the release time of cheap seats predictable.

I have the same predicament but my cruise is leaving Aug 30, 2015 in Southampton. I'm planning on booking through Virgin Atlantic. I've been looking at the airfare since it became available. The prices haven't changed much. Now I'm six months away. I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and book or do you think if I wait another month I'll see a price difference? also I'm booking Premium economy.

I have the same predicament but my cruise is leaving Aug 30, 2015 in Southampton. I'm planning on booking through Virgin Atlantic. I've been looking at the airfare since it became available. The prices haven't changed much. Now I'm six months away. I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and book or do you think if I wait another month I'll see a price difference? also I'm booking Premium economy.

I've priced some stuff in Premium Econ myself on CX, QF and BA and the prices don't seem to change much one published. (unless of course, you are talking last minute). I've never looked at regular econ on a the long hauls so they might change but Premium econ, biz and first seem to stay pretty stable.

now there will be 42 posts saying there are major price swings in premium econ. :p

Edited by TruckerDave

Honestly, I have to agree with the answer "when it's cheap" I like to keep an eye on airfare to my destination and watch what the airfare is trending price wise and then determine what I am wiling to pay. Honestly you need to know what you are willing to pay before you go to book. IF the price is higher than you are willing to pay look at alternative airports such as FLL vs. MIA or Midway vs. O'hare. Check the prices daily and don't be afraid to jump on a price if it seems "good"

Thanks TruckerDave! I'll probably just buy now and if I use miles and money I'll still come out better.
Note that most "miles and money" programs are a lousy way to use your miles. You get far less "bang for the buck", which is why they are promoted so much. Unless you are trying to just burn off miles that would otherwise not be used, look at the actual return you would get with miles/money vs a straight mileage redemption.

We usually follow the pricing of our preferred air carrier and compare it with the cruiseline air fare. When we see a spread developing, we jump to the lower fare. Seems to work most of the time but not always.

Just remember...you aren't buying the same thing. Cruiseline air is different, so it's not apples and apples. If you are willing to accept the differences and feel that the price savings is worth it - go ahead. Just have your eyes open and don't look at just the price.

Note that most "miles and money" programs are a lousy way to use your miles. You get far less "bang for the buck", which is why they are promoted so much. Unless you are trying to just burn off miles that would otherwise not be used, look at the actual return you would get with miles/money vs a straight mileage redemption.

Well, I don't have enough miles for two premium Econ but it'll make it $500 cheaper. If premium economy prices aren't ever on sale and it is was it is then I'll make the most of the miles I have to get some kind of discount.

Well, I don't have enough miles for two premium Econ but it'll make it $500 cheaper. If premium economy prices aren't ever on sale and it is was it is then I'll make the most of the miles I have to get some kind of discount.

Basically using miles in this way earns you about a 1% "discount." For most people who don't play the miles game to a great extent (i.e. enough to earn a ticket solely using miles), a "cashback" card is usually the best bet. There are several cards that give 2% cash back. Better to get 2% cash back and use it toward paying for your flight than earning miles that in essence only earn you 1% back. Unfortunately, most people don't understand that.

• 1 month later...
Basically using miles in this way earns you about a 1% "discount." For most people who don't play the miles game to a great extent (i.e. enough to earn a ticket solely using miles), a "cashback" card is usually the best bet. There are several cards that give 2% cash back. Better to get 2% cash back and use it toward paying for your flight than earning miles that in essence only earn you 1% back. Unfortunately, most people don't understand that.

I do!

I agonized over my European airfare for this summer for 6mths.

JFK to Italy.

First started researching last summer. I have heard January is a good time to book Europe airfare don't know if that is good for all.

Soooo I waited till end of January and booked. Price went down and up.

It is currently $30 cheaper than what I paid. Went up as much as $200 more and down 150 from what i paid.

I am used to Southwest with no penalty and Delta has a stiff $300 change fee.

So my suggestion is to price flights throughout year and start looking to book about 6mths before and have an idea what you are willing to pay.

Then book and don't look at the price again so you don't torture yourself like I do:o

Happy planning

Kerri