Ladies - Help me pack for NEng/Canada Cruise

Ladies,

I'm leaving in two months for a seven night New England Canada cruise on RCI Brilliance.

This is my first cruise that is more towns and cities and not beachy/islands....

I would like to know realistically, what would you guys pack? For example how many pairs of long pants versus capris, shirts, tees, shoes, etc.

Firstly, I'm interested to see how everyone else packs for their trips and also I'm hoping to scale down what is sure to be enough clothes for two months! I'm assuming my ports of call could be on the warm side, to cold, windy and rainy.

Off the top of my head, I will probably take two formal night outfits, capris, jeans, long pants like a khaki, 5 short sleeved tees, one or two 3/4 sleeve comfy tops, couple more dressy but not formal wear tops, couple pair of printed palazzo pants with silky tops for non formal nights, evening sandals (silver and goldish), tennis shoes, 2 or 3 pr. of cute flats, one or two coverups for formal nights, light weight rain jacket for layering, 2 crossbody bags - 1 for ship and 2 for ports.

How am I doing? I don't want to get on the ship and suddenly realize I should have brought something else.

Debbie

Why do you need different bags for ship and port? Use only one....no one cares if it's "matchy" or not!

I doubt you'll need a coverup for formal nights....those nights are no cooler than any other evening.

Do your REALLY need 3 pair of flats??? Bring one in a neutral color...no one is looking at your feet....really!

You might want to throw a pair of shorts in there....it could still be warm ashore!

Hi Debbie,

Do you think maybe a couple of long sleeve tops and maybe a sweater? Also, more long pants and fewer capris. Hopefully the weather will stay nice in September but you never know. I would take two crossbody bags - I like a very small one on the ship and bigger for ports when I will be carrying more junk. I would take 2-3 short sleeved tees, maybe 2-3 3/4 length tops and 1-2 long sleeve.

Kathi

Scrap Nana, I think you are right. I'm so into the summer mindset that I am thinking capris but it will be cooler I'm sure so maybe two pair of capris and a few pair of long pants.

And that also means that I should bring more long sleeve shirts and definitely some type of sweater that I can put under my lighter weight rain jacket.

And the reason I would bring three pair of flats is that they would be different styles and colors so mainly because some are more casual and some are a little more dressy and good for dinner.

I only bring 2 bags: 1 small crossbody for the ship and one larger cross body for the ports that will hold my water and maps, etc. And of course I will bring a couple small evening clutches.

Thanks for the input!

Debbie

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Debbie, I had to cancel my NE/CAN cruise, but I was prepared with lots of layers. You really cannot tell whether weather will be cool or warm, so that would prepare you. Whatever you do, enjoy the lovely foliage and terrific cities.

I am in the planning stages for our NE/Canada cruise next September.

My port clothes will include 1 pair of jeans and a pair of black comfy knit pants. Probably 3 pairs of capris, grey, black and tan. Also, 4 long sleeve T's, and 4 short sleeve T's, and 1 or 2 sleeveless. A hoodie, a vest and a light weight rain coat and one white sweat shirt.

For evening wear 2 cocktail dresses, one more casual dress, a black skirt, long tan pants and white capris. And, 6 or 7 tops and cardigans that can be worn with more than one bottom. We are on a 9 night cruise.

I don't carry a purse on a cruise but do use a drawstring backpack. I have wristlets for evening, a black and a white.

Shoes, 1 pair of dressy sandals, black or silver, my brown walking sandals, black oxford style sneaker types, brown peep toe flats and black thong sandals.

Of course all of this can and probably will change.

Planning is half the fun.

I am in the planning stages for our NE/Canada cruise next September.

My port clothes will include 1 pair of jeans and a pair of black comfy knit pants. Probably 3 pairs of capris, grey, black and tan. Also, 4 long sleeve T's, and 4 short sleeve T's, and 1 or 2 sleeveless. A hoodie, a vest and a light weight rain coat and one white sweat shirt.

For evening wear 2 cocktail dresses, one more casual dress, a black skirt, long tan pants and white capris. And, 6 or 7 tops and cardigans that can be worn with more than one bottom. We are on a 9 night cruise.

I don't carry a purse on a cruise but do use a drawstring backpack. I have wristlets for evening, a black and a white.

Shoes, 1 pair of dressy sandals, black or silver, my brown walking sandals, black oxford style sneaker types, brown peep toe flats and black thong sandals.

Of course all of this can and probably will change.

Planning is half the fun.

Luvscruising - This is very helpful! I know the final packing list will be a moving target, but I needed a place to start. My only cruises so far have been caribbean and much more casual/beachy port visits.

I will be challenged to cut my shoes down to only five pair or so, but I'm on a mission. I normally wear one quarter of what I take.

Debbie

You should cut down on the number of capris and bring long pants. I have been on this cruise in September and 2 in June (just went last month). The Canadian ports are usually cool with a good chance of rain, drizzle and fog. The same goes for short sleeve tops. 3/4 or long sleeves are best. A light jacket, sweatshirts and sweaters are good choices. Check the weather forecast several days before you leave. Unless you hit unusually warm weather, summer clothes are too light.

As you go north it gets colder then warms as you come back down.

We went slightly later than you did and its 7 nights and it looks like you pack for a lot longer. Go for mix and match i.e wear a top one evening and then wear it on the day another day etc.

I would take 1 capri, 1 shorts and a couple of long - don't forget you will be boarding in a pair too. A warm top and waterproof coat for layers. Then mix and match the tops and pick your evening attire.

Hey if you want lots of shoes, go for it as shoes and a scarf can completely change the same outfit.

You should cut down on the number of capris and bring long pants. I have been on this cruise in September and 2 in June (just went last month). The Canadian ports are usually cool with a good chance of rain, drizzle and fog. The same goes for short sleeve tops. 3/4 or long sleeves are best. A light jacket, sweatshirts and sweaters are good choices. Check the weather forecast several days before you leave. Unless you hit unusually warm weather, summer clothes are too light.

Good idea to check weather forecasts before we leave.

For me, I don't wear shorts anymore. So, capris are my go to and I will wear them on the ship during sea days. And, for the ports I'll probably have a denim jacket.

Debbie, good luck with your planning.

Good idea to check weather forecasts before we leave.

For me, I don't wear shorts anymore. So, capris are my go to and I will wear them on the ship during sea days. And, for the ports I'll probably have a denim jacket.

Debbie, good luck with your planning.

Luvscruising,

Same here - stopped wearing shorts long ago and capris are my "shorts" now and I will definitely be wearing them or cropped pants around the ship, unless it is really cold on the ship, which I doubt.

I can't imagine just taking 1 shorts, 1 capris and one long pant for seven nights! I just need more options than that. (even with tops to mix and match)

The demin jacket would be cute, I could pair it with black pants (comfy knit ones as recommended) or tan khakis and will be a good laying option - I have some lighter weight denim jackets with some stretch - so perfect!

So I will continue to pare down my list to get it workable - have two months so plenty of time.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Debbie

We cruised New England last September . I packed jeans , khakis , a few long sleeved t shirts , a few short sleeved t shirts ,two pairs of capris , two sweaters , a rain jacket , an umbrella , a few dresses and black pants with tops .Two pairs of flats , sneakers , black sandals with heels . This worked out perfectly . We Spent two days in New York before the cruise and I spent two weeks after the cruise with my Mom in Pa..

We did the Canada cruise a couple of years ago in Mid-June. It was cool but very humid. I wore layers: capris or long pants with tee shirt and sweater or hoodie. You will want a ligthtweight windbreaker jacket.

Instead of carrying rainwear, I buy the clear plastic disposable rain ponchos at Dollar Tree and always bring those along when I travel. Evenings were the same as on any cruise, but I did use a pashmina-type shawl most evenings.

Hope this helps.

We did a Canada cruise some years ago and it was actually still quite pleasant in ports. I remember wearing a short sleeved shirt paired with a sleeveless vest just to keep the wind at bay, and jeans and good walking shoes. Layers are important here like they are in Alaska, IMO.

The denim jacket would be cute - do you have a couple of colorful light scarves you could accessorize with?

Has anyone ever worn absolutely everything they packed because they thought they'd need it? I have yet to accomplish that! :p

I did this cruise Oct. 4,2010 starting in Quebec. It was much colder than I believed it would be -- cold front came in and had first flurries of snow. That was a week later than what you are going. Never can predict but be prepared.

I would take the following (which is just about what I always take:p)

2 pair black comfy knit long pants, 1 pair grey dress pants, 1 pair kakhi dockers type pants, 1 black dressy pants or long skirt. 5 colorful blouses or knit tops (t-shirts fine but the others more dressy for city siteseeing which is what you do most of on this trip) 3 t-shirts, 2 short sleeve or sleeveless shirts that can be worn under the blouses or under a light sweater/sweatshirt with zipper and hoodie. For evening I have 5 dressy silky tops that pop over the slacks or skirt -- all weigh about as much as a hanky. I have several dresses that I take that again weigh like a hanky -- do not add the weight of rhinestones. Depending on the 2 dresses I add one jacket/blazer type coat (sometimes those DR freeze even a warm blooded woman out) that goes colorwise with dresses, dressy tops, and even tshirts so can match and mix and have some choice. I use basically black, rose, turquoise, and white. Definitely a rain poncho (umbrellas carry too much wind on deck and in street), definitely a medium jacket or fleece and maybe both to layer. Swim suit but I used it only once and I usually swim every day. Medicines, first aid kit of things that work for you (I use small sizes kept in quart bags labeled tummy, bandages, colds, skin, and when home this is my medicine cabinet)

This is the basics of a packing list. There was a great one here on CC a few years back that had everything covered and had a list of tasks to complete etc. search here for a good packing list and then TRIM it down. The phrase take half the stuff and double the money always works except for electronics chords!!

Thanks for the insight everyone - I'm adjusting my list as I go. It is true that except for one or two sea days, every day will be spent in a city wandering around so I need to plan accordingly.

Debbie

It might be helpful if you could post the exact dates of your cruise and the cities that you will be stopping in. I live in Boston, and have traveled to many cities elsewhere in New England. The weather can be quite different at the end of September compared to the beginning of September, and different yet again depending on where you will be stopping.

It might be helpful if you could post the exact dates of your cruise and the cities that you will be stopping in. I live in Boston, and have traveled to many cities elsewhere in New England. The weather can be quite different at the end of September compared to the beginning of September, and different yet again depending on where you will be stopping.

Sweetpea,

Sorry - my cruise dates are in my signature (which I guess doesn't show if you are using certain apps) and I mentioned in my question that I was leaving in two months, but the dates are September 22nd for seven nights. Ports are Halifax, NS; Saint John, NB, Bel Harbor, Maine; Portland, Maine and one other that escapes me!

It appears that layering is the answer and I'm planning on taking a few items for a warm climate, but with more 3/4 or longer sleeved tops, pants, sweater and waterproof jacket for daytime.

I'm going to be ready for 70 degrees or 30 degrees with wind and rain, so hopefully I will be all set!

Debbie

Thanks. So your stops are all in Canada/Northern New England (as opposed to Conn. or RI, for example), and will be at the very end of September. Being prepared for anything and definitely layering is the way to go. However, within that broad outline, I think minimizing what you would bring to wear in warm weather would serve you well. For ex., while it's possible there could be a warm day when shorts would be appropriate, it's extremely unlikely.

We are doing a very similar cruise but three weeks after you, so I know I will need to layer for the changeable weather. A few years ago I found a great packing list somewhere on CC and ever since don't travel without one. I create a very basic Excel spreadsheet and start by listing all ports and sea days in columns with rows for daytime outfits and shoes (ports, pool time, etc.) and evening wear and accessories. I also create a column with my wish list of clothing which I color code. Start dropping outfits into the daytime or evening activities. My rule is I must wear casual outfits at least twice or they don't make the cut. I do mix up the outfits as well. I then allow myself to bring evening wear for each night (unless longer than 7 nights). I have found this not only helps me from overpacking but makes getting ready each day a breeze as I don't have to think about what to wear. We were in Paris in late April and then on a river cruise and I was able to layer tops with a thin sweater and didn't have to bring a heavy jacket. Have fun - save some of the fall colors for us!

We are doing a very similar cruise but three weeks after you, so I know I will need to layer for the changeable weather. A few years ago I found a great packing list somewhere on CC and ever since don't travel without one. I create a very basic Excel spreadsheet and start by listing all ports and sea days in columns with rows for daytime outfits and shoes (ports, pool time, etc.) and evening wear and accessories. I also create a column with my wish list of clothing which I color code. Start dropping outfits into the daytime or evening activities. My rule is I must wear casual outfits at least twice or they don't make the cut. I do mix up the outfits as well. I then allow myself to bring evening wear for each night (unless longer than 7 nights). I have found this not only helps me from overpacking but makes getting ready each day a breeze as I don't have to think about what to wear. We were in Paris in late April and then on a river cruise and I was able to layer tops with a thin sweater and didn't have to bring a heavy jacket. Have fun - save some of the fall colors for us!

AlmandenCruisers,

Thanks for the insight. I'm not a big excel person and I want to do several spreadsheets 1) wardrobe/packing and 2) itinerary/ports/shows, etc. but I don't know where to start. I would love to see some examples. I've found one or two by searching CC, but nothing yet that seems to meet my needs.

Very excited and I mainly want to plan as a reminder to myself not to forget and miss certain venues, etc. I've been known to do that and I've found a visual reminder works for me.

I did this too. Years ago my friend suggested wearing bottoms twice with different tops. I tried it, forgot and didn't wear the right top first and ended up short an outfit. Next time I made a chart of what tops to wear when and took it with me. (The printed chart went in my scrapbook :D)

This time the trip is Alaska, at least 2 weather changes, smart casual for dinner and 2 formal nights. I made the same chart, worked on it at lunch at work, forgot it when I went to babysit. I made a new one at my daughter's house and, like you, put in the days, ports and time in ports. What was taking me weeks to figure out at work took all of an hour with this type of chart. My plan was to wear a pair of pants in port, change to a dressier top for dinner. It worked out that while I will wear at least 3 of these pants twice, it is not on the same day. I will look so varied and I am so proud of myself. This chart will definitely go in my vacation scrapbook.

AlmandenCruisers,

Thanks for the insight. I'm not a big excel person and I want to do several spreadsheets 1) wardrobe/packing and 2) itinerary/ports/shows, etc. but I don't know where to start. I would love to see some examples. I've found one or two by searching CC, but nothing yet that seems to meet my needs.

Very excited and I mainly want to plan as a reminder to myself not to forget and miss certain venues, etc. I've been known to do that and I've found a visual reminder works for me.

Debinnova,

The idea of several spreadsheets is great, I've not tried the itinerary/ports/sights but it's a great idea. I think it would be really helpful for NYC where we are spending a couple of days precruise. I'm not very good attaching things but here is my attempt for an excel spreadsheet. This one is one the best but it will help give you the idea.

Caribbean Pkg Lst.xls

Debinnova,

The idea of several spreadsheets is great, I've not tried the itinerary/ports/sights but it's a great idea. I think it would be really helpful for NYC where we are spending a couple of days precruise. I'm not very good attaching things but here is my attempt for an excel spreadsheet. This one is one the best but it will help give you the idea.

Almaden,

Thanks for the spreadsheet - I love it and now if I can just figure out the way to clear the cells in one sweep, I would be a happy camper! LOL

Debbie

Archived