Naples DIY

envy4u

We have been to Capri, Ischia, and along the Amalfi Coast all the way to Positano. We have also been to Pompeii and visited the "Nativity Capital" of the world in old Naples close to the port. So now I need your help on what to do on this port day??? Do not want to rent a car. They truly have crazy drivers here. lol

Edited by envy4u

If you like Roman ruins, you can easily take the local train to Herculaneum (Ercolano) and the wonderful Roman villa at Oplontis (nearer to Pompeii).

There's also the world-class Archeological Museum in Naples. Or one of the "Underground Naples" tours.

Or...instead of going south, you can go north of Naples to Pozzuoli, a more "real" seaside town with a fantastic Roman amphitheatre (underground area better preserved than the Colosseum) -- easily reached via metro from Naples.

I must say we have done our fill of ruins and not really interested in seeing any on this trip.

We like shopping, scenic views, strolling new areas. Not a bad day to sit down with a glass of vino or two and people watch. Ideas? Naples can be dangerous so going too far off the beat and path is not an option at this port of call.

Any major city has dangerous areas, that doesn't set Naples apart. Don't believe everything you hear.

You can have a lovely day within steps of the port, including everything you've mentioned.

From the cruise port you can walk up to Via San Carlo via the temporary walkway alongside Castel Nuovo (the castle directly in front of of the cruise port). On your right as you walk up you can see the excavations for the upcoming Municipio metro station.

If you are interested, you can go inside Castel Nuovo and see the interior rooms, including the municipal museum of Naples. If not, there are two other interesting stops just steps away. First there is the opera house of Teatro San Carlo, one of the most important venues in Europe. There are tours throughout the day. Just past the opera house there are the royal apartments at Palazzo Reale.

Across the street from the opera house and the royal palace is the galleria, a shopping arcade from the late 1800's. Across the street from the royal palace and the galleria is the famous Caffe Gambrinus, a good place to have a coffee, a pasty, and people watch.

To this point we haven't gone more than a half mile on foot from the cruise port.

Continuing on you could walk up Via Toledo for a middle of the road shopping experience, or you could go down Via Chiaia for more high-end shops.

You could also go a couple of blocks up Via Toledo and take the funicolare Centrale up to Piazza Fuga, then walk around the Vomero district, another upper middle class residential and shopping area. A few blocks from there you can find the Certosa di San Martino, the building up on the hill that overlooks the cruise port.

Would have to agree with Eurocruiser, when it comes to Naples. Partly because of "Euros" urging, DW and I have spent a couple of long days just walking around miles of Naples streets and trying to find its charm :). While Naples would never be on our "favorite cities" list it can be fun to just explore, eat, shop, go to a museum, etc.

One other good option from Naples is to take the train to Caserta and visit the old Royal Palace (and gardens) that are a relatively short walk from the train station. While we do not normally recommend Caserta for folks coming to Naples for their first or ever second visit it is a very good port-day trip for those that have already seen the normal places. Some other interesting options would be to take the jetboat/hydrofoil to either Ischia or Procida. Or course one should do some reading about these islands before deciding if this is how you want to spend your port day.

Hank

We were last in Naples on a Sunday. We walked about 5 blocks (can't remember the street) from the dock. Walked along the street for probably 2 hours and were amazed at the families out for a nice fall afternoon. Completely changed my view of Naples. Didn't see any tourist.

Would have to agree with Eurocruiser, when it comes to Naples. Partly because of "Euros" urging, DW and I have spent a couple of long days just walking around miles of Naples streets and trying to find its charm :). While Naples would never be on our "favorite cities" list it can be fun to just explore, eat, shop, go to a museum, etc.

:D I feel like I've done my part, on some level.

One of these days we're going to be in Naples at the same time and I'm going to do my best to move her up into your "favorites" category.

Edited by euro cruiser

One other good option from Naples is to take the train to Caserta and visit the old Royal Palace (and gardens) that are a relatively short walk from the train station. While we do not normally recommend Caserta for folks coming to Naples for their first or ever second visit it is a very good port-day trip for those that have already seen the normal places. Some other interesting options would be to take the jetboat/hydrofoil to either Ischia or Procida. Or course one should do some reading about these islands before deciding if this is how you want to spend your port day.

Hank

Thanks Hank. Been to the Palace in Caserta and also to Ischia. Will do some research on Procida. Time of ferry may be an issue as they are not frequented that often.

• 4 weeks later...
naples is not what you can call a safe city :eek:
Deliberately incendiary comments like this, with no backup or perspective, are of no help or use to anyone. You went back nearly a month to find a thread you could resurrect just to slam the place?

Naples is a city with all of the same issues you find in any large city, anywhere in the world. Unless you have some actual facts to backup your implication that it is somehow worse than other similar cities, you have added nothing to the conversation but fearmongering.

Edited by euro cruiser

The city shopping area is not too far from the pier. You can walk there in about 15 to 20 minutes. Here is a video I made from our NCL Jade cruise.

[YOUTUBE]LMUr2fqkpXg[/YOUTUBE]

We also had some pizza at this touristy trap pizza place, for the fun of it.

[YOUTUBE]Jamna2TRiIE[/YOUTUBE]

I agree with other posters about the fact that like any big city, you need to pay attention to your surroundings in Naples and Naples is a "gritty" city. However, I love Naples.

I love walking around the Spacccanapoli area and walking down Via San Biagio dei Librai, eating cannoli, people watching, stopping at street vendors, etc. The Archeological museum is fantastic as well. Naples also has several churches worth a visit.

I must admit I was skeptical about Naples myself at first. My mother was born in Italy, outside of Venice, and I have been going to Italy fairly often for my entire life. There is a bit of north vs. south rivalry in Italy as well. I was not expecting great things from Naples. Now, I always plan my stays in Rome to include an extra day for a side trip to Naples!

Have to add this amusing tidbit. DWs hair dresser took his first trip to Paris (a few years ago) and stayed in a small hotel in Montmarte with some friends. When we returned home he told us that he really hated Paris. DW was a bit surprised (she loves Paris) and asked him why? His answer, "Paris is old."

And yes, Naples is also "old."

Hank

Have to add this amusing tidbit. DWs hair dresser took his first trip to Paris (a few years ago) and stayed in a small hotel in Montmarte with some friends. When we returned home he told us that he really hated Paris. DW was a bit surprised (she loves Paris) and asked him why? His answer, "Paris is old."

Hank

:o that is the saddest thing I've read today! We spent a week in Montmartre and could spend a lifetime there! One of our favorite parts of Paris (after the Pantheon/Sorbonne area). Completely charming. Just no pleasing some people!

:o that is the saddest thing I've read today! We spent a week in Montmartre and could spend a lifetime there! One of our favorite parts of Paris (after the Pantheon/Sorbonne area). Completely charming. Just no pleasing some people!

LOL not sure we would apply the word "sad" to her hairdresser but do agree that it is hard to understand anyone not being charmed by Paris. No matter how many times we go to Paris we are never bored. Just walking the streets is enough to paint a broad smile on DW.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Iluvcruising2 for posting the video. It looks a lot easier than I thought getting into the city. We were thinking about doing a walking food tour but looks like we can get to things fairly easy. I understand that there are some touristy places to eat but does anyone have any suggestions of a can't miss lunch place in Naples? The more local the better.... Even better when they serve vino ;)

Yikes! As European cities go Paris is actually quite young, as most of it is less than about 800 years old. We Americans just lack perspective when it comes to age.

You all are just feeding my need to take one of my days in Rome coming up and take the train up to Naples! I've got to re-read all of this, put it into a form I can understand, and plot out a walking strategy for it!!!

My only fear about Naples is that I may run into some of my ex's relatives :eek:

Yikes! As European cities go Paris is actually quite young, as most of it is less than about 800 years old. We Americans just lack perspective when it comes to age.

Ahhh so that is why DD called me an "old man." She also lacks "perspective." :)

Hank

You all are just feeding my need to take one of my days in Rome coming up and take the train up to Naples! I've got to re-read all of this, put it into a form I can understand, and plot out a walking strategy for it!!!

My only fear about Naples is that I may run into some of my ex's relatives :eek:

Do it! Just feign ignorance if you run into anyone you'd rather not remember!

Tell us what you think you'd be interested in seeing and we can help you lay it out.