Live review with pics, Equinox, Oct 27, TA Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale.

cl.klink

I hope to update this post daily as my wife Debbie and I celebrate our 25th anniversary. Part of the fun of any trip is just experiencing and enjoying whatever comes. I am looking to having fun, not looking to criticize, hopefully with new experiences, relaxing, enjoying really good food, on a terrific floating hotel with good staff and services.

First, about us. We live in Columbia Missouri, I work at the University of Missouri, and we have kids as well as grandkids who live in town. Columbia is a really pleasant college town, nice place to live. But, love to travel too. We are one bag traveller converts so we are going on this 16 day trip with one bag each (a carry on); no checked bags. I've used one bag on every trip I've taken anywhere since 2007. It took longer to convince my wife, but she does it too, now. More on this later - pics of all our stuff and packing list and websites that guided us.

This will be our third cruise, and we really have liked our others. First was through Panama Canal and got a whopping upgrade all the way to a royal suite. Second was Concierge to southern Carribean. This will be our first visit to Spain, first trans-Atlantic, first time on an S-class ship, and first time on Aqua class. For a splurge and another first, I'm thinking of getting the fancy who hah premium alcohol package. Haven't passed that by my tea tottling DW yet so not sure it'll fly. Wish me luck.

This cruise starts in Barcelona, leaves Monday 10/27, stopping in Palma de Mallorca, Valencia, Malaga, then into the Atlantic with stops at Lanzarote and Tenerife of the Canary Islands, then across the pond to Ft. Lauderdale FL

I'm a bit of a novice with photography, but I like it, so I'll try to include a lot of pictures, and if there is something anyone wants to "see" please let me know and I'll try to get a picture. I'm still trying to figure out how best to load pics so I may be trying different approaches. And, if there is anything else anyone needs me to find out on board, or in port, please let me know and I'll do my best.

Right now, we are riding a shuttle driving us eastbound on I-70 to St. Louis. I-70 the other way would take us to Kansas City in 2 hours where the baseball team, the Royals, are still in the MLB championship series (shame my St. Louis Cardinals didn't make it, but happy not to have the conflict of missing their games while on the trip!). From St. Louis we fly to Chicago, 2:10 lay over, then to London, only 1:20 layover (coin flip says we make it or miss it), then Barcelona. We will stay at Hotel Acta Atrium Palace Saturday and Sunday nights before embarkation.

Crazy day and week to get all my work done (still finishing some of it on the drive and some may wait for the plane ride). I hope to be fully off the (work) grid by the time I land in Barclona and after that NEVER go to any work issue or work email for 2 weeks. I hate how email and texting and the like intrudes and insists upon itself, so ... No. The world will have to wait. I'm just not so important that anyone HAS to hear from me till 11/11. Is anyone, truly?

Below is my iPad taking a photo of the shuttle to St. Louis (it's gonna get a lot more scenic ... Hang in). Hope this works!

- Joel

c1c40e393b0f2ce5ec7d655883bbaacc.jpg

Joel, congrats to you and your wife on your anniversary!

We have friends sailing with you, and I hope you all have a fabulous crossing! I won't get to read about all of it live as my spouse and I will be following shortly behind you through the Med and across the pond as we embark on the Silhouette TA (Nov. 1), and we like to vacation "unplugged." But I look forward to catching up when we return, and I am particularly interested in how you do this with just one bag.

I think you will love the S-class ships!

Happy crossing!

Very excited to read your post. We are headed for the Panama Canal next week and plan on booking the transatlantic from Barcelona for next fall. We've been to many countries in Europe but not Spain. I will be anxious to hear how you enjoy all those sea days. Happy travels.

My wife and I are also residents of Columbia, Missouri. Congrats on your anniversary and I hope you have calm air and smooth seas! We love the S-class ships and Aqua Class and are looking forward to our two weeks on Celebrity Eclipse which will take us to the Southern and Eastern Carribean in January, 2015. We will read your review and look forward to your pictures. Happy Cruising Bob and Linda

Joel,

We have been waiting for ya'll to hit the road so you can fill us in, since we get on after ya'll bring the Equinox across!

We sailed the Reflection last yr, so are familuar with the S-Class layout. Main thing we would like to know about is the wine selection in the GastroBar left from the conversion of Cellar Masters. Dana really had a wonderful time there last yr, and I have been filled in on the craft beer selection.

Have a wonderful cruise, we will be watching for your arrival at Port Everglades around 5:30-6:00 am on Nov 10th from our balcony at the Hyatt Pier 66!

EW & Dana

(ps: my Sister works for Columbia College at the main Campus on Rogers St since 2003)

Edited by wallie5446

Happy Anniversary to the both of you, we celebrated ours onboard Emerald Princess, 4 years ago, around the eastern Carribean, we did the Renewal of our vows ceremony package, just me and DH but it was beautiful, it was our first cruise and we fell in love there and then with cruising, we went around the canaries 2 years ago on the Grand Princess. Just like EW and Dana we will be joining the beautiful Celebrity Equinox in Fort Lauderdale as you get off, so we are so looking forward to reading your review. we hope you both have a fantastic time

Pauline and John

What's the big fuss about just one bag each....DH and I do it all the time...what??? you mean one CARRYON bag:eek: Yikes, I do just one carryon too, but only after checking a full bag lol!! Can't wait to see what and how you pack! Happy Anniversary and really looking forward to this blog! Have loads of fun!!

Cathy

Everything about your post interests me. I am curious about your flights to and your overnight stay in Barcelona pre-cruise, your one carry on bag packing method and if you enjoy all those consecutive days at sea. I will be taking what I've termed my first "backpack" cruise next month. Hubby has always said I overpack for cruises so I am set on proving him wrong. My challenge to myself. . .I will bring only what I can fit in one backpack this time. Should be interesting. . .looking forward to your posts. Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on your anniversary!

I am very interested to follow this thread for several reasons. We are on Equinox in April to do the W Caribbean, right down to Cartagena, really looking forward to it.

Questions - you will love Aqua for the Bleu experience but what do you plan to do on formal nights? Please let DH and I know where we go for a decent glass of wine in a pleasant quietish bar now that Cellar Masters has had a make-over?

A couple of suggestions - do take a walk down Las Ramblas when in Barcellona but be sure you keep wallet/purse extremely safe. If you have time take one of the open-topped city bus tours on Sunday. Finally DONT DRINK THE TAP WATER - I had a very nasty experience once in Malaga you cando much worse once you get off the free shuttle bus than to walk straight ahead of you and find yourself in the old town. Enjoy a glass of local wine and a ate of tapas ridiculously cheaply

Have a great trip!

Hi Joel,

We're also boarding the Equinox when she returns to Ft Lauderdale. I'm looking forward to reading your posts each day to help me get through the next two weeks before we fly south. Taking only one carry on each is amazing! You'll have to let us know how you do it.

Sue

Did the Med cruise on this ship in September from Venice to Barcelona with a three night pre cruise and a 3 night post cruise. Had the most wonderful time. The gastro bar is wonderful and I am sure your wife will be able to find her favourite wine on board and if not I am doubly sure the sommelier will be able to introduce her her to her next favourite wine. We had the upgraded drink package and tasted some excellent wines. We also purchased the 5 night specialty restaurant package. Have a wonderful time happy anniversary and can't wait to hear about your one bag packing tips as we did the early/self disembarkation. Very quick relatively easy except for the large bag we had to drag behind us but we were at our hotel in Barcelona by 8:15am and in our room by 10 and heading down Las Ramblas by 11am. Having just one small bag each will make the ESD great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So nice to have so many nice comments already. This is neat! Just like a real CC poster.

We are here in Barcelona, just arrived at hotel. Having a nice drink at hotel bar. I already love this city. Feels alive, healthy, lots of things to see and do.

I'm up to speed on the pickpocket racket. Fascinating video of a similar challenge is on YouTube with Bob Arnot (

). I have a security pouch that attaches to my belt and folds inside my pants. I'll test it out on La Ramblas shortly. I wear a ScottEvest to keep a lot of my belongings zipped up in pockets (and helped carry stuff on plane).

As for my one bag, yes, I actually DO have a dinner jacket in it, but it's blue (not white; sorry) and a blazer can be folded for a bag ( see

). For formal nights I'll wear that and a tie but I'll be in either Blu or a specialty restaurant so won't need to be as formal as the MDR I think (right).

The water is bad here? The only liquid I've yet consumed in this country is wine. So, except in so far as the grapes took up water once, I've managed to avoid it. But, I do have some Cipro tablets just in case.

0670d4c093ed1ab0594ccc595e2b6afc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk