Can't decide Alaska on the Soltice or Summit to Bermuda?

NOSaints1

Having a hard time deciding Soltice out of Seattle or Summit out of NJ, price is about the same for an AQ, airfare would be more to Seattle from BUF which would be around 1000 for both, the Summit will be around 400 for both, DW wants to go to NY for a couple of days, so the money we save can go for hotels. Seattle we could go the day before where I always wanted to go to the Boeing plant and tour? Will 3 days in Kings Warf be to much? I know RC has a 5 day my DW is more into relaxing and likes the spa. So which one would you pick or a better destination for the money?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having a hard time deciding Soltice out of Seattle or Summit out of NJ, price is about the same for an AQ, airfare would be more to Seattle from BUF which would be around 1000 for both, the Summit will be around 400 for both, DW wants to go to NY for a couple of days, so the money we save can go for hotels. Seattle we could go the day before where I always wanted to go to the Boeing plant and tour? Will 3 days in Kings Warf be to much? I know RC has a 5 day my DW is more into relaxing and likes the spa. So which one would you pick or a better destination for the money?

I would always choose Alaska, but that is just me. I may be influenced by the fact that I live in Texas, so going to a warm spot is not all that attractive. Alaska is a beautiful cruise, with plenty of time for relaxing.

Carolyn

Lol, we just went thru this dilemma...

Here is how we figured it out.

We live in Ontario, so the distance is fairly similar to you in Buffalo

Bermuda - We figure we will drive to the port, as it will be cheaper than flying. Sure we'll need a hotel for a night or two plus parking... But even if we flew in, we'd still be looking at a few days in the NYC area. We researched Bermuda as a vacation spot on its own... Very expensive. Our 7 to 10 Cruise Trip will be a lot cheaper than flying & spending a week in Bermuda. Having done some research we are not worried about 3 Days being too much in Port... Problem could be just the opposite not enough time (evidently we are not alone, Bermuda Cruises get a lot of repeat customers... Plenty onboard who book right away for next year).

Alaska - Overall a lot more expensive destination... Especially when you look at airfare, and Shore Excursions. And many go to Alaska but once... So once in a lifetime trips tend to be more expensive as you figure you will never be back. Many Travellers save Alaska for their "Sr Years"... Nothing wrong with that... Just that Alaska can be an adventure seekers paradise... And the more able you are the more you will want to see / do.

Have Family & Friends who have recently done Alaska...

Scenario one - Couple in their 80s. Wanted to see as much as possible. They truly made this a trip of a lifetime... Cruise to Alaska (Skagway) and added on cross country train (White Pass RR) & bus trek into Canada's Yukon (Klondike Hwy to Whitehorse & Alaska Hwy beyond). Spent another week in Northern Alaska before flying back to Vancouver... Then took the train thru Canada's Rockies, before flying home. They did it all... They were gone almost 4 weeks.

Scenario two - Couple in their 60s. Took a one way cruise to Alaska (Anchorage), then flew back to Vancouver & home. They did some great shore excursions... But believe they should have booked more time for the trip (sadly, it wasn't available... 10 days was all they had).

As for us...

Bermuda is booked for May 2015

Alaska will have to wait a tad longer... 2017 or beyond (we will still be in our 60s)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

This is kind of like comparing apples to oranges, sandy beaches to snow covered mountains. Yes, cruises to Alaska are expensive but also spectacular. We finally did Alaska this past June, HAL land/sea tour, because it was a better itinerary. It was expensive, no doubt, but we would gladly do it again. We specifically went in mid June so that there would still be a good amount of snow to see - we also lucked out with nearly perfect weather for all two weeks. :)

If you have never been on an Alaskan cruise, that would be my pick. I've done it twice and both times it was awesome.
We feel the same way -- love Alaska -- spectacular scenery with so much diversity. We prefer the cruises that travel east of Vancouver Island so you are surrounded by scenery most of the way as you cruise along and are not just looking at ocean.

It is a different experience each time. The landscape looks entirely different at the beginning of the season right after a snowfall when it is still a winter wonderland from the way it looks in the middle of summer.

Then it looks different again if you go at the end of the season when the foliage has started turning to bright shades of gold and red and orange.

While Bermuda is certainly pretty, it is kind of ho-hum.

If we go back there again on a cruise, I would want it to be one that visits other ports as well, not one that only goes to Bermuda.

We're in our mid 30s, no kids. I know NCL goes to Bermuda, but we don't really want to sail with them. I don't know what it is about NCL that turns us off. So what's some must sees in Bermuda.

I would do Alaska definitely . But look into doing a week land and a week on the cruise (do cruise second). To me just going for a week is not enough. Best time to go is June into July. We did the trip in 1999 and loved it.

My DH and I have also done Bermuda by cruise (all on the Summit) 3 times and would love to go back. And do the 7 day. We learned the transportation system and just love taking the ferry and riding the buses.

Health reasons for both of us is keeping us from cruising. Otherwise we would be doing Bermuda next June. It's just a nice trip. We enjoy not having to fly to get to Bayonne. We only live an hour and a half and we take a car service. We are definitely spoiled.

Also, Bermuda is a much more relaxing trip.

Good Luck with your decision. :)

We have been cruising since the early 80's, mostly on Celebrity. We enjoy Bermuda so much we have not been on any other place but Bermuda since 2002. There is always something to see or do and we never get bored.. We were there June past and will be on the Summit again May 2015. Since we live in an area that get a lot of snow, we prefer warmer climates for vacations. What ever your choice, you will not be disappointed with either place.

Always, always, always do what DW wants to do. :D

Does the Sky suites have nice size bath tubs, deep enough? How many of you've stayed in Sky Suites and did you like them?

Just stayed in a Sky Suite on Summit a few weeks ago. The tub is full size. And yes, we really liked it for a 14 night cruise. That said, would I book it for a 7 night cruise? Depends on how much time you spend in your cabin and like your own space ... and of course the cost compared to a regular verandah cabin.

As for your choice of where to go, you need to decide if you prefer the warm weather beach scene of Bermuda or the stunningly beautiful scenery/wildlife of Alaska (we've been 3 times and would go again in a heartbeat).

Wife and I have done Bermuda several times on both Celebrity and NCL, and did Alaska on the Solstice two months ago. If you choose Bermuda, I would definitely take Celebrity as the food is much better and because of the smoking policy.

Solstice to Alaska is a wonderful cruise, the ship can't be beat and Alaska is just someplace you have to see at least once. If I did it again I would prefer to go out of Vancouver rather than Seattle because the itinerary is much better. On this cruise you spend two days in the Pacific ocean and the Victoria stop is basically wasted because of the time arriving.

If you choose Bermuda, to answer your question, three days is not too much, it is too little. Lots of things to do and great beaches. If you are traveling with children go mid June to the end of the season as there will be loads of kids. Celebrity has great children's programs.

If you are traveling with just your wife, travel end of May, early June and possibly the Labor Day cruise. Usually not a lot of kids and weather warms up. I would definitely not go early or mid May as weather in Jersey can be iffy as far as temps and Bermuda can be a little cool with cool water temps. Lived in North Jersey most of my life.

Also, if you are spending a couple of days in NYC, suggest checking a couple of hotels in Jersey City which will have much lower prices. In some locations, you can go downstairs to catch the Path trains right into NYC, less than 15 minutes.

Edited by dkjretired

We don't have any kids, we live in Ontario, it's more expensive to from Toronto to Vancouver than it is to fly to Seattle. I know the 2016 schedule comes out at the end of Nov, I'm afraid might miss booking it when they have the deployment schedule.

Late-40's here, kids in college. Did Summit to Bermuda with no kids a year ago. I love Bermuda and did enjoy Summit. This ship during May has few kids and was an older crowd (mid-60's). We enjoyed the cruise and destination a lot. We are planning an Alaska cruise, but we are waiting for a few years. My husband feels it is too laid back right now. (don't necessarily agree but it is what it is) Plus, we would want to do Alaska when we have the time and finances to spend 1 week land / 1 week cruise. That time isn't quite yet. Whatever you choose, have a great time.

Which cruise would be more suitable for a couple in their mid 30s?

The question may also be what Cruise line would be more suitable for a couple in their mid 30's. I enjoyed the laid back environment on Celebrity and would do it again because I love Bermuda. But, if you are looking for lots of nightlife and constant activites geared toward others in your age group, it might not be the best choice. (Atleast the Bermuda Summit Cruise)

The last couple of years we have sailed Summit to the S. Carib. and the Summit to Bermuda. We just sailed the Solstice to Alaska a couple of months ago( Aug.). We enjoyed all the cruises, I liked Bermuda and she liked Alaska. We have done many warm weather cruises and found Alaska very nice but a different type of weather. That's not to say we didn't like the weather it was just different, the scenery was something to behold. I found Bermuda to be filled with many things to see and do plus a lot of history. I quess I'm trying to say you will enjoy which ever cruise you pick. We are from MI so we know about cold and snow.

Any questions about either cruise let me know,

J.