RFID wallet, worth it or waste?

webetraveling

I already did a search for past posts on this subject. Seems like some like them some don't, or don't care either way from what I am reading. Just trying to get an update on what current thoughts are.

My own current thought is to get one that is thin enough to be able to hang around the neck, more for pick pockets then the RFID. Also seems like most of these wallets tend to be a bit bulky.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Here's the story on Snopes about this RFID-theft business:http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp

Note that it says that the only way a thief could scan your card is if you are carrying only one. Since we have two or more with Chips, I don't think this is a real problem.

I think you're referring to an RFID wallet of sorts, right? I have one in a pretty purple I got from Magellan's. I love it but it is a royal pain having to take my passport out every freakin' time I go through security. They want it OUT of the passport wallet. Seems like it's not doing a whole heck of a lot of good being taken out but I suppose it's being protected when it's tucked away in our carry-on bag. Since Magellan's seems to have been bought out by another company, here's a similar one at Travelsmith:

http://www.travelsmith.com/leather-rfid-blocking-passport-currency-wallet/travel-accessories/security-bags-belts-wallets/796749

Edited to add: They do have more masculine colors too (I see that you're a male so pretty purple probably isn't going to float your boat). And no, they aren't bulky at all. The ones people wear around their neck look ridiculous to me - like they've been labeled like a package being shipped. :o)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Are you referring to the chip and pin card? If so, that is not an RFID card, there needs to be direct contact with the chip on those cards.

You're right, I was confused at the time. Chip and PIN is a different technology which cannot be read without the card being inserted in a card reader.

RFID is the technology that Chase calls "Blink" and other issuers give other names, which allows you to wave your card near a card reader instead of inserting it.

It turns out I have several of these in my wallet, even though I have never used them -- and other than at gas stations don't recall ever seeing such a terminal. But since I do have more than one, the point of the Snopes article is still valid: the potential for thieves to skim this data from my wallet is cancelled by the presence of more than 1 RFID card. So there is no need to replace my wallet.

If you Google "RFID Wallet" you'll also find an article from Consumer Reports that compared a homemade wallet (from duck tape and aluminum foil -- if you can pry it out of the hands of your local alien-paranoid-conspiracy-theorist) that was more effective than 80% of the anti-RFID wallets they tested. ["Our reporter offered her own homemade shield constructed of duct tape and lined with aluminium foil. It provided better protection than eight of the 10 commercial products, including a stainless-steel “RFID blocking” wallet selling online for about $60."]

At least with a duct tape wallet, I would preserve my macho cred -- much better than wearing a wallet around my neck. ;)

I love it but it is a royal pain having to take my passport out every freakin' time I go through security. They want it OUT of the passport wallet.

I have never had issues, as I place it in my Pacsafe shoulder bag a n d leave it there until I go through immigration somewhere.

There is also a sleeve that just slides over the credit card. My credit union gives them away at the customer service desk. That way I just use my regular wallet. I also have sleeves for our passports. They were sold by one of the TV channels that broadcast items for sale. Not sure I can mention it here.

I also have chip cards but they also have a magnetic strip on them so would still be susceptible to skimming. Just a thought. I think most American cards still have magnetic strips even though they may have a chip.

There is also a sleeve that just slides over the credit card. My credit union gives them away at the customer service desk. That way I just use my regular wallet. I also have sleeves for our passports. They were sold by one of the TV channels that broadcast items for sale. Not sure I can mention it here.

I also have chip cards but they also have a magnetic strip on them so would still be susceptible to skimming. Just a thought. I think most American cards still have magnetic strips even though they may have a chip.

Mag stripes also require physical contact and can not be skimmed. RFID cards are the only type that can be read from a distance. You can tell if your card is RFID by this insignia

rfid-credit-card.jpg

Mag stripes also require physical contact and can not be skimmed. RFID cards are the only type that can be read from a distance. You can tell if your card is RFID by this insignia

rfid-credit-card.jpg

Thanks for the photo. Certainly shows what to look for. The only RFID item that I have is my Global Entry card and it came with a protective sleeve.

I investigated aggravated robberies and kidnappings in one of our nations largest police departments. During the commission of robberies the complainants wallet with credit cards and I.D were often stolen which sometimes led to identity theft. Almost to a person these crime victims told me that this was a much worse experience than when they were robbed at gun or knifepoint even those some had been stabbed or shot. It was always the same story of destroyed good credit and the problems of dealing with the credit card companies, banks,etc..This really frightened me so I carry and RFID wallet which may well be useless inside my pacsafe vest. I do this simply for peace of mind.

I investigated aggravated robberies and kidnappings in one of our nations largest police departments. During the commission of robberies the complainants wallet with credit cards and I.D were often stolen which sometimes led to identity theft. Almost to a person these crime victims told me that this was a much worse experience than when they were robbed at gun or knifepoint even those some had been stabbed or shot. It was always the same story of destroyed good credit and the problems of dealing with the credit card companies, banks,etc..This really frightened me so I carry and RFID wallet which may well be useless inside my pacsafe vest. I do this simply for peace of mind.

Being stabbed or shot or robbed at gun point is less frightening? I wouldn't want to find out

Note that it says that the only way a thief could scan your card is if you are carrying only one. Since we have two or more with Chips, I don't think this is a real problem.

It may make scanning less likely if you have more than one RFID card in your wallet but it is definitely not impossible. My DIL had one of two RFID cards scanned (and then used) from her purse while on a recent trip. The attempted use looked suspicious enough and wasn't allowed but the scanning with two cards worked just fine.

It may make scanning less likely if you have more than one RFID card in your wallet but it is definitely not impossible. My DIL had one of two RFID cards scanned (and then used) from her purse while on a recent trip. The attempted use looked suspicious enough and wasn't allowed but the scanning with two cards worked just fine.

Wow, that is crazy! :eek: What are you supposed to do to keep your cards secure if they're packed away in your carry-on in a RFID wallet and that's still not enough?

You're right, I was confused at the time. Chip and PIN is a different technology which cannot be read without the card being inserted in a card reader.

RFID is the technology that Chase calls "Blink" and other issuers give other names, which allows you to wave your card near a card reader instead of inserting it.

It turns out I have several of these in my wallet, even though I have never used them -- and other than at gas stations don't recall ever seeing such a terminal[/color]. But since I do have more than one, the point of the Snopes article is still valid: the potential for thieves to skim this data from my wallet is cancelled by the presence of more than 1 RFID card. So there is no need to replace my wallet.

If you Google "RFID Wallet" you'll also find an article from Consumer Reports that compared a homemade wallet (from duck tape and aluminum foil -- if you can pry it out of the hands of your local alien-paranoid-conspiracy-theorist) that was more effective than 80% of the anti-RFID wallets they tested. ["Our reporter offered her own homemade shield constructed of duct tape and lined with aluminium foil. It provided better protection than eight of the 10 commercial products, including a stainless-steel “RFID blocking” wallet selling online for about $60."]

At least with a duct tape wallet, I would preserve my macho cred -- much better than wearing a wallet around my neck. ;)

Here in the UK it is known as contactless technology and is on my Credit and Debit cards. More and more places have terminals for these including all buses operating for Transport for London.

Sorry I seem to have messed up I was trying to hightlight the name and usage part of Host Jazzbeaus post

Edited by squarevanman

I have an RFID blocking wallet that from a company called Stronghold. I have used it for a while and like it. Not much more cost than a regular leather wallet.

As an aside, recently we were eating at a Red Robin restaurant. They have little wireless units on the table that you can order, play games on (for a cost) and pay with. Well, as odd as this sounds, when arriving and my husband sitting down, the wait staff said 'hello and my husbands first name'. Well, I heard it as well as he did. He at first thought he heard incorrectly until I asked how she knew his name. Well, we were out of our local area and we did not know her. I found it really strange and if it were me I would have questioned it. Anyone on this? Kind of odd and creepy to me.

I bought some RFID sleeves for my credit cards and used these on a recent trip - my credit cards still easily fit in my regular wallet. I bought these at AAA but expect that you can find them elsewhere. That said, one of my credit cards kept getting rejected half way through my trip. I finally called my company and found that there was a hold on my card - it had been used in the US in a state where I hadn't been - I had done a travel notification. No idea of how the information was compromised. Good reason to always travel with more than one credit card.

Here in the UK it is known as contactless technology and is on my Credit and Debit cards. More and more places have terminals for these including all buses operating for Transport for London.

Sorry I seem to have messed up I was trying to hightlight the name and usage part of Host Jazzbeaus post

Do the buses also have terminals for the chip and PIN cards?

No sorry contactless only. Also we are being warned about card clash and not have more than one card in wallet when passing the scanner, otherwise money could be taken from both.

Clearly this is a technology that should never had been released -- not ready for prime time. Only my Chase cards have it, so they will be sitting home as much as possible.