Verizon cell phones at ports

xray

First, I am NOT tech savy at all so bear with me.

I would like to call home from either St. Thomas or St. Marteen without occuring roaming charges. Is that possible?

When leaving Ft. Lauderdale do I have to do anything but turn my phone off as not to be charged for incoming calls?

Mainly I am just trying to avoid any additional charges on my phone.

Thanks, XRAY

I would like to call home from either St. Thomas or St. Marteen without occuring roaming charges. Is that possible?

When leaving Ft. Lauderdale do I have to do anything but turn my phone off as not to be charged for incoming calls?

Thanks, XRAY

I believe Verizon treats the St. Thomas and St. Martin as outside the US, so you would be charged per minute. Check out this planner:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

Thanks, XRAY

Turning the phone off or putting it in airplane mode will prevent additional charges.

Thanks, XRAY

Please call your service provider to get the best information since it may vary. Calls free and you'll know you got the correct information.

Depending upon your provider (mine is Verizon), you may want to disregard the advice normally given to turn your phone off or use airplane mode. Using airplane mode means no incoming calls or texts. How would some one contact you in an emergency?

Verizon charges five cents for incoming text and fifty cents for an outgoing text. Neither of those are going to break the bank. Calls on Verizon are $2.95 per minutes which can get expensive quickly. However, if you ignore the call and do not answer, the cost is much more reasonable, ie, nothing. Be selective about who you answer.

Most of the horror stories on cell phone bills involve kids who don't realize he ramifications of sending a few hundred pictures or have an intense need to update their facebook pages. If you have kids, lock their phones up in the safe unless you trust them completely.

BTW, I called verizon and they were very glad to help. Even sent an email with all the correct information and instructions.

People here on CC like to help, but who do you trust to provide the best information? Them, or your provider?

Check with your carrier. When we were in St.Thomas last year, my son, who has Verizon, was using his cell to call his girlfriend. We had Sprint and were making our calls to home. My son ended up with an almost $300 cell bill for roaming charges. He didn't realize that calls weren't free in St. Thomas for him, as it was for us. Hard lesson learned. Although they did give him a break by reducing his bill in half, but I wouldn't count on it. They were free in San Juan though.

Gwen :)

Thanks, XRAY

Not sure about Verizon because I have T mobile, but isn't St Thomas treated as US? I called home from there and didn't pay anything.

Putting your phone in airplane mode will take care of roaming fees.

Please call your service provider to get the best information since it may vary. Calls free and you'll know you got the correct information.

Depending upon your provider (mine is Verizon), you may want to disregard the advice normally given to turn your phone off or use airplane mode. Using airplane mode means no incoming calls or texts. How would some one contact you in an emergency?

Verizon charges five cents for incoming text and fifty cents for an outgoing text. Neither of those are going to break the bank. Calls on Verizon are $2.95 per minutes which can get expensive quickly. However, if you ignore the call and do not answer, the cost is much more reasonable, ie, nothing. Be selective about who you answer.

BTW, I called verizon and they were very glad to help. Even sent an email with all the correct information and instructions.

People here on CC like to help, but who do you trust to provide the best information? Them, or your provider?

While this may be true, if you have a smart phone you will want to disable your data. You may not want your phone automatically pulling the latest app updates or facebook notices.

While this may be true, if you have a smart phone you will want to disable your data. You may not want your phone automatically pulling the latest app updates or facebook notices.

A perfect example of why you should call your provider instead of relying upon strangers here on Cruise Critic. I had forgotten about turning off data.

A perfect example of why you should call your provider instead of relying upon strangers here on Cruise Critic. I had forgotten about turning off data.

I'm not going to disagree with you, but instead slightly change your suggestion to "you should call your provider to enhance the knowledge provided by strangers here on Cruise Critic.

But, be sure you understand that comments some may make here are based on their carrier, which may or may not be the same rules for your carrier.

On T-Mobile St Thomas is US, but Guam is not. Spoke with rep and they said Guam was not a US territory. Someone needs a geography lesson

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Verizon has a Global phone that if you're a Verizon customer they will send out to you, It's 19.99 for 21 days (not sure of the number) they give you a shipping box/label prepaid to ship it back. We used this in Europe in 2012 and will do it again next month on our Panama Canal cruise, they transfer over your cell number to this phone. You need to order the phone at least 4 days in advance (check that is correct I'm reading my husbands notes) They will email you the rates and most are very reasonable. Messaging is less than roaming. Their number is 800-922-0204. We are older and don't have a cell phone that is good for travel, and we found this very easy to use. We did go last time to our Verizon store and had them go through the phone with us.:)