Good tasting water

e150club

Many people like bottled water. The water from the sink in the cabin sometimes is a little funky. The water from the Lido deck is well filtered and to me is just as good if not better then bottled water. Why pay for water.

Many people like bottled water. The water from the sink in the cabin sometimes is a little funky. The water from the Lido deck is well filtered and to me is just as good if not better then bottled water. Why pay for water.

I love the water from the sink in a glass filled with ice. Really like when the ice in the ice bucket melts down and I just pour that coldness in a glass

I have never read or heard that Lido water is filtered. All of the ship's water is purified to make it potable. I believe Carnival uses reverse osmosis to purify and desalinate.

I don't care for ship's water. I have seen brown water come out of the tap in my cabin. A lot of people say they experience swelling from drinking ship's water which goes away after returning home. Some people are more sensitive to salt than others, and desalination reduces salt but doesn't completely remove it.

So I can certainly understand why some people prefer bottled water over ship's water. And at $3.99 per 12 pack, bottled water is worthwhile IMO.

I have never read or heard that Lido water is filtered. All of the ship's water is purified to make it potable. I believe Carnival uses reverse osmosis to purify and desalinate.

I don't care for ship's water. I have seen brown water come out of the tap in my cabin. A lot of people say they experience swelling from drinking ship's water which goes away after returning home. Some people are more sensitive to salt than others, and desalination reduces salt but doesn't completely remove it.

So I can certainly understand why some people prefer bottled water over ship's water. And at $3.99 per 12 pack, bottled water is worthwhile IMO.

Water at the dining venues (that served by the wait staff) and Lido dispensers, bar guns, and ice makers have carbon filters to remove the chlorine, but for maintenance reasons, not for taste.

The brown/yellow/whitish water that sometimes comes from the sink is definitely off-putting, but safe. It is from chlorine scale that forms inside the pipes, and when a section of piping is shut down for repair, the scale breaks off and circulates for a little while. Generally running the tap for a minute or so will clear it up.

One of the common comments is that reverse osmosis desalinated water has more sodium than shore water. If you have a water softener and need a low sodium diet, it is recommended that a reverse osmosis filter to remove the sodium.

Water taste is a supremely subjective topic, so if you like bottled water's taste, go for it, but I personally don't like the waste of plastic.

We started using bottled water in 2007 when by the 4th day of an 8 day cruise by right leg was so swollen I could barely walk. Once home doctors put me on diuretics and swelling went down.

Sodium is a big issue with the ships water. I do drink water in the MDR but no other. Not even in the bathroom. We always have 2 bottles of water in the bathroom for brushing teeth.

We started using bottled water in 2007 when by the 4th day of an 8 day cruise by right leg was so swollen I could barely walk. Once home doctors put me on diuretics and swelling went down.

Sodium is a big issue with the ships water. I do drink water in the MDR but no other. Not even in the bathroom. We always have 2 bottles of water in the bathroom for brushing teeth.

If sodium is a "big" issue with the ships water, then it has to be a "colossal" issue with the food served by every venue on the ship.

The tap water NEVER "runs cold"...so ice (yes, made from the same water!) is needed. Chilled water always tastes better than lukewarm water!

Have wondered why their tap water is always so warm.

We do find the ship's water fine for our taste.

Have wondered why their tap water is always so warm.

We do find the ship's water fine for our taste.

The water coming to your home is not moving, and underground, so at a temperature of 55-65*F, so the longer it travels or sits in the underground pipes the closer to ground temperature it will get. The water on the ship is constantly circulating, so the pumps and piping friction adds heat to the water. Also, the water circulates in spaces in the ship that average 70+*F, and back to the engineering spaces which can be well over 100*F.

Also, since by regulation, the water tanks are surrounded by void spaces, they do not benefit from any cool sea water the ship may be sailing in, compared to a tank that is integral to the hull.

Edited by chengkp75

I Really like when the ice in the ice bucket melts down and I just pour that coldness in a glass

(Suggestion):

Always ask for a plastic liner for an ice bucket. People use/do many things with them. Including using them if they're sick & can't make it to the bathroom in time.

:eek:

If you are from the north, the ship water temperature is far more noticeable. My water here in Florida is never cold, and about to get warmer as summer is coming. When I am up north visiting, I'm amazed at how cold the cold water is. As for taste, it can vary from town to town, or if one is accustomed to one taste. As one poster said, I use cold water from the ice bucket.

At home I have well water, I grew up on over chlorinated city water.

I drink the tap water on the ship, only noticing slight "tampering". (My wife won't drink the tap water on a bet!)

As long as the water doesn't "fight back", I'm a happy camper!:p

At home I have well water, I grew up on over chlorinated city water.

I drink the tap water on the ship, only noticing slight "tampering". (My wife won't drink the tap water on a bet!)

As long as the water doesn't "fight back", I'm a happy camper!:p

Funny thing back in the 90's we went to a resort in the Catskills NY. My son could not drink the well water it ran right through him.[you know what I mean] We bought bottled water for him.

he's OK with ships water.

Someone I cruise with will inevitably buy some packages of bottles water, as it is cheap enough. I will ask for 2-3 bottles and after I drink them I fill them up from the sink in the cabin and stick em in the fridge. Then I always have cold water and it doesn't taste any different to me than the actual bottled water.

A lot of people say they experience swelling from drinking ship's water which goes away after returning home. Some people are more sensitive to salt than others, and desalination reduces salt but doesn't completely remove it.

I'm no expert - but my suspicion is the diet one follows on a ship has more to do with the swelling than the water. I'm one that has never bought a bottle of water on a ship (I drink straight from any tap that is available to my refillable bottles) and more often than not, I actually lose weight on my cruises (take the stairs always, not sitting behind a desk all week, etc...).

Put me in the "tap water on a cruise ship is wonderful" camp...

I think it was in Nassau or Port Canaveral that they had the blue hose pumping potable water into the ship. some ships may get water from the shore. Not salt water.

Just about all ships get some of their water from shore. It all depends on the itinerary. Ships can only make water when more than 12 miles from shore, so the greater amount of port time in relation to sea time determines how much water the ship needs from shore. The hydrants where the water is taken must have been tested for bacterial count within the last 30 days, and all water taken in port is segregated from use until an onboard bacterial test is done, which takes 18-24 hours.

Just about all ships get some of their water from shore. It all depends on the itinerary. Ships can only make water when more than 12 miles from shore, so the greater amount of port time in relation to sea time determines how much water the ship needs from shore. The hydrants where the water is taken must have been tested for bacterial count within the last 30 days, and all water taken in port is segregated from use until an onboard bacterial test is done, which takes 18-24 hours.

You know your water. Thanks.

I plan on taking some personal brita bottles with filters and hopefully that filters out any funky taste and extra sodium. When you are use to a certain tasting water the ships water is very off putting. The filtered bottles will hopefully prevent having to buy bottled water and you can easily fill with ice from the machine and have ice cold water all the time.