Security on Ships?

cwistyred

Good evening everyone,

Due to the tragedy earlier this week, the media is focusing on cruise ship safety. They have been discussing the inevitability of an attack on a ship itself. The older readers on this forum will remember the horrible events on the Achille Lauro in the 80's.

My question is do you think that there are any armed security officers on a cruise ship? Basically the equivalent of an Air Marshal. I realize that one armed person could not protect four thousand passengers, but it would be mildly comforting to think there would be someone onboard with arms if a hijacking were to occur.

We have a Med cruise booked for 2016 with mostly Italian ports. We have done two other Med trips and hope and pray that it will be safe to visit my favorite country again. I realize that what will be will be, but I hate to tempt fate.

Many merchant ships sailing in risky water have firearms on board. Some even have armed private contractors to act as security. But I doubt any cruise director would let you in on this secret and sensitive topic during the behind the scene tour.

Since 9-11, the IMO has promulgated the ISPS Code (International Ship and Port Facility Security), which has been adopted by all nations. As part of ISPS, all ships and ports must have a Security Plan that covers all aspects of security, and many eventualities. One major aspect of ISPS is restricting access to ships and ports to those with proper documentation. To use the US as an example, everyone who works or visits a port facility in the US must obtain a TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Credential), that requires an FBI background check. This includes not only dockworkers but marine vendors wanting to sell items to the ship, truck drivers bringing the food stores to the ship, a taxi driver bringing a crewmember back from shore leave (any taxi driver without a TWIC must drop his fare at the port gate), and even the port chaplain. Admittedly, other countries are not as thorough, but the mechanism is there.

The cruise ships have security officers. At NCL, which I am familiar with, the Senior Security Officer was a retired British cop, and the Security staff were retired Ghurkhas from the British army. Most cruise lines will have limited arms onboard the ship, but this is closely guarded. One aspect of the ISPS required Ship Security Plan, is that it is a classified document, and only the Captain and Security Officer know all aspects of the plan. So there are parts of the plan that even Senior staff and officers don't know about, unless it impacts their jobs. Need to know.

Edited by chengkp75

We have sailed around the Horn of Africa several times over the last few years. Each time we had a "Pirate Drill" prior to entering that part of the seas. At least once they demonstrated the water cannons that would be used to deter a boarding.

In addition, we were often within eyesight of naval vessels. US, India, France and South Korea come to mind.

One of the world cruise reports currently on the HAL board says that since they are nearing Dubai and are in pirate water there has been razor wire put on the promenade deck railing, there are extra guards, additional watching of radar, and the crew has done pirate drills.

I don't think you need to worry.

Good evening everyone,

Due to the tragedy earlier this week, the media is focusing on cruise ship safety. They have been discussing the inevitability of an attack on a ship itself. The older readers on this forum will remember the horrible events on the Achille Lauro in the 80's.

My question is do you think that there are any armed security officers on a cruise ship? Basically the equivalent of an Air Marshal. I realize that one armed person could not protect four thousand passengers, but it would be mildly comforting to think there would be someone onboard with arms if a hijacking were to occur.

We have a Med cruise booked for 2016 with mostly Italian ports. We have done two other Med trips and hope and pray that it will be safe to visit my favorite country again. I realize that what will be will be, but I hate to tempt fate.

I KNOW there are. and more than one.

I have no idea why everyone is going bonkers over standard Med cruises with the recent Tunisian tragedy.

Only 10 countries in the Med with a high Muslim population (which means there may be more extremists per population but even this is an estimate). These are Morocco, Eygpt, Tunisia, Turkey, Israel that are tourist destinations for Westerners. The other 5 (Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Libya and Algeria) are not. The rest of Europe has a similar perceived risk of terrorism as many western countries and cities all over the world.

Most of theme countries (esp Turkey et al) unless on a cruise route are far away from the popular Greek, Italian and Croatian Med cruises that are the most common and popular. I would happily stop in Turkey on a cruise by the way and I have been to Northern Africa and felt safer than in London at night. I said this on another thread as well but many UK folk have not cancelled their Tunisian resort Summer holiday which tells you another thing too.

You have a similar terrorism risk in Rome as you do in say...Chicago. I realise that it is further afield for US folk but the Med is really pretty safe as any other westernised location.

As far as security on ships go there is also port security around and response time for city personnel would be similar if it was a tourist site.

Edited by Velvetwater

Have I missed something? (I've been on holiday.) I know there was a terrorist attack in Tunisia, but that could hardly be connected with a cruise to Italy. What else has happened?

some of the fatalities were cruise passengers on an excursion. the terrorists have already come out stating they DELIBERATELY chose a target that had tourists.

remember the bombing of a popular nightclub in Bali? it was a tourist mecca for Australians and US Servicembers. in fact my husband was at that nightclub a week before when his ship was in Port.

these slime puppies are DELIBERATELY targeting tourist attractions, cultural and historical locations/relics and other CIVILIAN targets. soon enough they will start bombing schools and hospitals. maybe then certain people will get off their butts and do something besides spout rhetoric.

I have no idea why everyone is going bonkers over standard Med cruises with the recent Tunisian tragedy.

Only 10 countries in the Med with a high Muslim population (which means there may be more extremists per population but even this is an estimate). These are Morocco, Eygpt, Tunisia, Turkey, Israel that are tourist destinations for Westerners. The other 5 (Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Libya and Algeria) are not. The rest of Europe has a similar perceived risk of terrorism as many western countries and cities all over the world.

As far as security on ships go there is also port security around and response time for city personnel would be similar if it was a tourist site.

they are no longer limiting their actions to Muslim heavy countries/populations. the recent tragedy in France comes to mind.

Now don't get me wrong, 3 weeks after 9/11 I was in the air, international. I am not going cower under my bed nor make any huge changes to my travel plans. but neither am I going to assume that I am safe using 'normal' precautions any more.

they are no longer limiting their actions to Muslim heavy countries/populations. the recent tragedy in France comes to mind.

But thats what I am saying.

People should not be worried about Italy/ the Med purely because its proximity to Tunisia/ Turkey etc.

Terror risk is higher in all places...but US/Westernised Europe has a similar perceived risk. Walking down the street in Miami is just as risky as walking down the street in Bologna or Liverpool. So what the heck...go on holiday.

Thank you to all who have responded.

My question was based on the premise that the terrorists have stated that a main target for them is Italy as it's proximity to North Africa makes it an obvious entryway. Also as "the home of the crusaders" they have said a goal was to see their flag waving over what was left of St. Peter's in Rome. A big problem for Italy is that they do have thousands of immigrants from that part of the world sailing in small boats and landing on Italy's shores. How do they tell legitimate refugees fleeing these SOB's from the terrorists themselves who may use this to gain entry to the country? This is my concern for Italy.

Gaining control of a huge ship at sea would be a daunting task even for the most skilled of these monsters, but who thought they would gain the foothold that they already have? I was just posting a query on what protection a ship would have against such an action and many of you answered my concerns. Will any of us know a different reality in the years to come? Who can tell? But I pray that we will all be safer and this "revolution" will be crushed and good people everywhere will live peacefully. Or at least as peacefully as humans are capable of living.

Yes, I am a Pollyana on this subject as I want to believe.

Security around ships and ports does seem to be extensive, more conspicuous in some places than others. I have also often wondered about the ship, and I know of the roaming unarmed security personnel, I can only trust that plans are in place for reaction to a serious insurrection situation beyond drunken passengers.

As for avoiding geographic locations based on anything, it should be apparent to all now that terrorist acts have and can occur anywhere.

Edited by jamessemaj

Security is noooo problem. There is no way that pirates can board a cruise ship, as long at the ship's photographers do their job, and hinder the pirates boarding, in the same way as they hinder ours.:rolleyes:

john

P.S. IMO one should have a far greater fear about going about ones daily lives, than having to worry the O.P.'s posting.

jt

Security is noooo problem. There is no way that pirates can board a cruise ship, as long at the ship's photographers do their job, and hinder the pirates boarding, in the same way as they hinder ours.:rolleyes:

jt

Like!

Edited by chrispb

I had to think about that for a min. very clever.

Most of theme countries (esp Turkey et al) unless on a cruise route are far away from the popular Greek, Italian and Croatian Med cruises that are the most common and popular. I would happily stop in Turkey on a cruise by the way and I have been to Northern Africa and felt safer than in London at night. .

Turkey is safe? I am not so sure given many there are openly anti US, anti Israel and supporters of Hamas. Did you miss this recent video when this Turkish mob attacked 3 unarmed US sailors dressed as tourists in Istanbul?

Turkey is safe? I am not so sure given many there are openly anti US, anti Israel and supporters of Hamas. Did you miss this recent video when this Turkish mob attacked 3 unarmed US sailors dressed as tourists in Istanbul?

I am not American or Israeli or a soldier (although the extremists are anti Western in general).

One of my dearest friends is in Istanbul on work placement at the moment, another family member will be stopping there on a cruise in a few months time and the UK are currently running a holiday ad where people decide 'Spain or Turkey?'. My husband and I have also spent 3 weeks there between us.

As I have discussed in numerous threads on the subject. The British public that like cheap Med fly holidays and Med cruises are common vistors to Turkey's resorts and beaches. What may seem like a mysterious and far away place to Americans is a bit more normal to us.

If I was holidaying anywhere at the moment with high tourist capacity I would proceed with more caution (esp in certain countries ) but as a whole I would say that Turkey is still a desirable destination for many cruisers and if I had not been there before I would certainly by happy to be there for a day on a cruise.

Have I missed something? (I've been on holiday.) I know there was a terrorist attack in Tunisia, but that could hardly be connected with a cruise to Italy. What else has happened?

Yes you have missed something, and nothing else did happen.

The terrorists specifically waited for and then hunted down the cruise ship passengers in an effort to harm tourism in the area.

It was an attack 100% connected to the Italian cruise ships stopping there.

Most of theme countries (esp Turkey et al) unless on a cruise route are far away from the popular Greek, Italian and Croatian Med cruises that are the most common and popular. I would happily stop in Turkey on a cruise by the way and I have been to Northern Africa and felt safer than in London at night. I said this on another thread as well but many UK folk have not cancelled their Tunisian resort Summer holiday which tells you another thing too.

You have a similar terrorism risk in Rome as you do in say...Chicago. I realise that it is further afield for US folk but the Med is really pretty safe as any other westernised location.

What about the attacks in Paris? et al

You're not really safe anyway anywhere. The way the world is today all the leaders and those in authority just lie anyway. People are out to kill people. Question is, are you will to go and enjoy yourself anyway? My feeling is what will be will be. We're booked for the Med in May ... husband wants to go to London and Paris as well. I'm not really excited about any of it but was going to go anyway for him. My original fear was that if I wasn't killed and just hurt somewhere over there what would happen. I do have faith in the Medical community here in the states. Tonite I really don't care, my dog of 13 years has died, my husband is being a jerk .... thinking maybe I'll find him a mistress to go with him. Any takers?