Ocean Medallion and Club Class

tequilasunrise

The difference is that any passenger in any type cabin can eat in a Specialty Restaurant if they want to pay for it. Sanctuary is the same, as any passenger can pay to use it.

But when passengers in some high priced cabins are the only ones guaranteed to have immediate seating in Anytime Dining, then over 90% of passengers have no access at all to that option.

Good point if the Club Dining is viewed as just Anything Dining without a wait. I view it has a separate restaurant option (not yet with the walls) that is part of the included benefits of the suites and certain mini suites. It is open to anyone that wants to pay the price just like the Specialty Restaurants and Sanctuary. Of course it is tied into the premium cabin choice.

Part of the trend in cruising today where you pay more and get more.

I do agree that Princess should fix the situation where so many seats in TD are not occupied, but yet some people have to wait to be seated in Anytime dining. All passengers should be able to dine without having to wait a long time. I suspect most people actually do not have to wait, but it is the long lines that lead to cruisers complaining. (As they should complain)

I am not 100% sure, but I thought this sailing in suites have always had priority in Anytime dining. Is that not true?

Edited by jagoffee

Many of them are simply small devices in the ceiling along the hallways. They are shown in the promo videos. What will be readily apparent are the interactive terminals placed around the ship. There are supposed to be something like 400 on Regal and Royal. It remains to be seen how many are actually placed. Of course the cabin TV will also be able to act as a terminal in addition to the ones placed publicly. I'm guessing that means that Caribbean Princess will have to be upgraded to the same sort of on demand system used on Regal and Royal.

They already had the new LCD type screens on the Royal by the elevators and PSD. Nice & bright. I hope they extend the location feature to the smart phones.

Now that would be a handy feature. :D

I can't believe with that many sensors you would be out of range at any time even if it is a very short range.

I suspect they wouldn't have to cover the complete show lounge for example but only the doorways leading in. It's hard to imagine where they'll be placed.

I can't wait to see the layout. :)

If they are going to deliver your pre-ordered cocktail to you in the show lounge, then there will need to be sensors close enough to detect where every person is seated.

Just having a sensor that shows you entered the room is not enough.

If they are going to deliver your pre-ordered cocktail to you in the show lounge, then there will need to be sensors close enough to detect where every person is seated.

Just having a sensor that shows you entered the room is not enough.

I'm almost certain that the hand held devices the waiters will carry will zero in on a specific Medallion although did they indicate that people could order drinks using one?

I'm almost certain that the hand held devices the waiters will carry will zero in on a specific Medallion although did they indicate that people could order drinks using one?

The Medallion's signal only goes a few feet. The waiter does not have the time to go through every row in the theater to get within signal range.

More likely is that a screen the waiter has will pin-point the location the passenger is at.

The Medallion's signal only goes a few feet. The waiter does not have the time to go through every row in the theater to get within signal range.

More likely is that a screen the waiter has will pin-point the location the passenger is at.

It's at least got to indicate (within a row or 2) where the person was sitting.

I'm sure when a person orders a drink the'll be expecting it to arrive & flag the waiter down as he approaches.

Anything is better than the nothing at all.

• 8 months later...

Is not anyone concerned about their privacy?

Why don't they just inject your forehead with a tracking device. Let's call it say, mark of the beast.

When someone knows everything about you, you in effect become a slave. Knowledge is power. Total knowledge is total power.

My cruising days are numbered with this system, if it becomes mandatory to wear your bracelet. I will not subject myself to this kind of personal intrusion and loss of privacy.

T Tail

Princess elite

Holland four star

RCI diamond

Why don't they just inject your forehead with a tracking device. Let's call it say, mark of the beast.

When someone knows everything about you, you in effect become a slave. Knowledge is power. Total knowledge is total power.

Just look at what the UK does with CCTVs. There are cameras just about everywhere.

More than once the UK has demonstrated they can backwards video track a suspect from the the scene of the crime back to when he/she left his home. Almost continuous video of walking on the street, entering/exiting and riding in public transportation, etc.

My cruising days are numbered with this system, if it becomes mandatory to wear your bracelet. I will not subject myself to this kind of personal intrusion and loss of privacy.

T Tail

Princess elite

Holland four star

RCI diamond

If you are that concerned about your privacy the only thing left is to resort to living in a cabin in the woods with no electricity like Ted Kaczynski.

T Tail

Princess elite

Holland four star

RCI diamond

Sorry to inform you but there is no longer privacy. If you drive a car you're tracked, carry a cell phone... type on a computer... sit in front of some of the new smart TV's just say HI to whomever is watching. I just love those that are buying those new things that you talk to to lower the light in you house or lock the door. Those private security systems that put cameras in your bedroom, really...

I doubt that a Medallion is any worse. BTW we're all doomed. Now where my tin hat,

framer

There's no fighting it although you could always use cash but they'll be monitoring you at the bank also. :eek:

British supermarket offers 'finger vein' payment in worldwide first

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/20/british-supermarket-offers-payment-fingerprint-worldwide-first/

I don't follow the Royal Caribbean boards, so I have no idea what you're talking about there. But I do follow Celebrity, and this is nonsense. The "class system" on Celebrity involves four different cabin categories. "Suite Class" dines in Luminae, a separate dining room not obvious to anyone else, and has exclusive access to Michael's Club [which used to be reserved to Elite passengers -- but there are now so many Celebrity Elites that they wouldn't fit in MC for their free cocktail hour, so now they get coupons and can drink anywhere] "Aqua Class" dines in Blu, again a separate dining room not obvious to anyone else. "Concierge Class" dines in the regular Main Dining Room [without a rope or any special menu items], but gets some in-cabin amenities [not obvious to anyone else]. And Inside, Oceanview, and regular Balcony cabins dine in the Main Dining Room. That's it! The rest of the ship -- 99%? -- is available to every single passenger. [Celebrity did wall off some of the Luminae and Blu areas from the original MDR, but I have not seen any reports that this is causing extra waits for Anytime Diners. Maybe Princess could hire away a Celebrity executive to explain how they handled this so smoothly!]

I am late to this party...but sadly disagree with Host Jazzbeau. My last four cruises have been on Celebrity....three prior to that were Princess and upcoming is Princess. On one of those Celebrity cruises, I went to guest services to book a shuttle back to the airport after the cruise. While I was there, I mentioned that my cabin was missing some very basic amenities (q-tips, cotton balls, pen & paper). Obviously didn't diminish my cruise experience, but thought it was worth a mention. I was told "well, you're not a suite guest". A few months before the cruise, I attended a travel expo in Chicago. I went to speak to the Celebrity rep to let her know how much I was looking forward to my upcoming cruise...her response: "are you a suite guest?" I had a conversation with a Celebrity rep when I returned home and explained that I believe that if people are willing to pay more for the suite experience, they should get whatever benefits are afforded to them. However, I did not like the feeling that those of us that were not suite guests were made to feel like second class citizens. I am a very "go with the flow" kind of traveler and am happiest when I'm on a cruise. I'm hoping that, as in the past, I feel like part of the Princess family when I return next March!

Just look at what the UK does with CCTVs. There are cameras just about everywhere.

More than once the UK has demonstrated they can backwards video track a suspect from the the scene of the crime back to when he/she left his home. Almost continuous video of walking on the street, entering/exiting and riding in public transportation, etc.

This isn't strictly true, it would only be possible if you lived in the city Centre. There is no CCTV out in the suburbs, apart from the odd speed camera which would only pick you up if you were speeding.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Good point if the Club Dining is viewed as just Anything Dining without a wait. I view it has a separate restaurant option (not yet with the walls) that is part of the included benefits of the suites and certain mini suites. It is open to anyone that wants to pay the price just like the Specialty Restaurants and Sanctuary. Of course it is tied into the premium cabin choice.

Part of the trend in cruising today where you pay more and get more.

I do agree that Princess should fix the situation where so many seats in TD are not occupied, but yet some people have to wait to be seated in Anytime dining. All passengers should be able to dine without having to wait a long time. I suspect most people actually do not have to wait, but it is the long lines that lead to cruisers complaining. (As they should complain)

I am not 100% sure, but I thought this sailing in suites have always had priority in Anytime dining. Is that not true?

Yes - suite passengers have a separate line at the entrance to the Anytime Dining Restaurant