Seasickness... Yes or No?

AXiDMonica

Do you normally get seasick?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you normally get seasick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Though 50% of us suffer from terrible car sickness, none of my family gets seasick under normal conditions on a cruise; in fact, we enjoy the movement of the ship.

However, I will make several comments on that:

1. I have felt queasy on small boats (i.e., snorkeling boats). I think they provide a rougher ride.

2. I feel sure that IF I ever sail without taking medication along, I'll be seasick.

3. I strongly suggest crystalized ginger as a "try this first". You can buy it in the fresh vegetables section of your grocery store -- I can always find it at Harris Teeter under the name brand Sweet Melissa. I chop it up tiny-tiny and bring it in a Tupperware container. Just a bite of this helps me with car sickness.

I actually make other people sick when the water gets rough. For me, eating makes me feel better, which makes a lot of other people uncomfortable ;)

There was a windstorm on our cruise in the Med. making everyone sick or woozy. My wife decided to take a nap, I decided on the buffet. Lets just say that I was the only one there. :D

I seem to be getting more and more travel sick recently. After 4 uneventful cruises I was very sick crossing the BoB in December, it was a bit rocky and many people felt unwell, I lost the first 2 days of my cruise :( This was despite taking prescribed medication.

Have had one cruise since and was fine. We are risking the Bay again later this year, hopefully the weather won't be as bad in late September.

Not sure the purpose of this poll??

The purpose was curiosity. People post all sorts of things on here and I thought I'd ask a question.

If you must know details... My main reason for posting was that I read about a mom planning to bring her son on his first cruise. Many folks were alerting her that he may get seasick, to prepare, etc. I didn't think it was such an issue but it was brought up over and over. So I wanted a general consensus. Sorry.

My stomach is never feels quite right, but never enough to make me stop cruising! I used to use the patches that you put behind your ear, but on the last two cruises, they have messed with my vision. I'm going to try Dramamine on my next cruise. Fingers crossed that it works!

Dramamine or Bonine works well. IMO, Bonine is less likely to cause drowsiness. But everyone may react different to it I guess.

I frequently experience motion sickness when I'm a passenger in cars or planes. On my first 2 cruises I was sea sick when the ships experienced moderate seas. This despite using the patch on the first cruise and dimenhydrinate on the second. On subsequent trips I followed the advice to take a Bonine tablet once every night starting the night before the cruise. It has worked wonderfully well for me. Could I cruise without taking the Bonine and not get sea sick? Its possible. But why risk feeling miserable when the pills work and I have no discernable side effects?

I frequently experience motion sickness when I'm a passenger in cars or planes. On my first 2 cruises I was sea sick when the ships experienced moderate seas. This despite using the patch on the first cruise and dimenhydrinate on the second. On subsequent trips I followed the advice to take a Bonine tablet once every night starting the night before the cruise. It has worked wonderfully well for me. Could I cruise without taking the Bonine and not get sea sick? Its possible. But why risk feeling miserable when the pills work and I have no discernable side effects?

Good Point!

I used to have motion sickness my first couple of cruises until I discovered Bonine (meclizine). I too, take one every night before bed and the last 46 cruises have been perfect! If you ask the pharmacist for Meclizine, they will provide you with 100 tablets for about $4.00 or $5.00.

Does not make me drowsy and I can drink alcohol without any side effects.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

But last NYEve we were on rough seas & the captain was going faster than usual in an effort to get out of the rough seas...but of course going faster makes it rougher. There were barf bags taped to trash cans all over the ship, so it wasn't just me.

As long as I was in bed I felt fine. Watched a lot of movies that day...:rolleyes:

I see that I'm in the minority of cruisers who experience the unpleasantness of seasickness. I have experienced motion sickness since I was a child and whether in a car, train, ship or plane, I can get violently ill and there's nothing I can do to control it. Thankfully through these boards I discovered Bonine (meclizine) and have been able to travel happily ever since.

Some time ago someone mentioned ginger, so I bought some "Charms" ginger chews - they are tasty and really settle a queasy stomach. I always keep a zip lock full of them in my purse when we travel.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

30+ cruises...start taking meclazine before I board the ship. I've been in category 3 hurricane off of Greenland, encountered 3 terrible storms in the Tasmen Sea and a terrible spring storm in the Atlantic between Florida and Bermuda. I've never been sick until my last cruise in the Caribbean. I was sea sick 3 of 4 sea days. I was on a "R" ship. It had to be the size of the ship because there were no storms.

I have been seasick on a ship, but not in quite a few years. I think it was the year 2000, on the old American Hawaiian Independence crossing from Kauai to Maui. More than half the ship was seasick including crew it was so rough.

After that I started taking less drowsy Dramamine, but even just taking it at night it made me groggy the next day. So I tried ginger, that gave me heartburn. So, then I tried nothing at all and have been fine for the last 10 years or so…I don't know what the difference is and I have been on some rocky cruises.

About the only time I get seasick is on a smaller vessel, like the tenders. I try to sit up on top if I can, the fresh air seems to keep me feeling better. I avoid excursions that involve small boats.

I do have mal de debarquement sometimes when we get home. Less drowsy Dramamine helps, so I take a half a tab at night for about a week or so.

I have only been on two cruises. I did not experience seasickness on either one. One was quite rocky at times.

I AM prone to motion sickness in cars, and was quite seasick on a one day fishing boat trip I went on a few years back. (Jumping off the boat and swimming for a while was the recommended -- and effective -- cure.)

But I wouldn't recommend doing that on a cruise ship! :eek:

The best cure is to sit under a palm tree on a Sandy beach.

That said, I medicate prophylacticly . . . No sea sickness!