Rome Port for a Day

harfield

Has anyone done their own thing on a day stop in Rome. On the Royal Princess looking at Civitavecchia Port to Rome for approx 8 hrs walking the sites as we have been there before then making our way back to the port. Was thinking of the train but not sure whether its easy or not. Thanks

we did the train to the port from rome.you would have to get a cab to the train station at the port (15 minute walk).drops you off at the terminus station in rome.couple miles from the main sites.can be crowded.check out the double decker buses.they take you to most of great things to see.we stayed 3 days pre cruise and 2 days after in venice.hope that helps you out

Did it last summer, during a port stop in Civitevecchia. Actually fairly easy.

There is a bus (forget if they charge) from the ship to the entrance to the port. Then you can walk or take another shuttle bus (maybe 1 Euro) from the port entrance to the train station. Trains leave several times an hour from there to Rome, check the online schedule. There are at least 3 stops in Rome itself. We've been to Rome many times and just wanted to hang out,get a bite to eat, and of course shop about the Spanish Steps. We got off the train at the Vatican Train Station (about 50 minutes for the train trip) and then took a cab from there to the Steps.

Trip home just reversed the procedure.

If you have a slight bit of adventure was fairly easy all the way. Had a wonderful day in Rome.

SAS

Has anyone done their own thing on a day stop in Rome. On the Royal Princess looking at Civitavecchia Port to Rome for approx 8 hrs walking the sites as we have been there before then making our way back to the port. Was thinking of the train but not sure whether its easy or not. Thanks

Have you joined your roll call here on Cruise Critic? Perhaps there is an excursion you could join. We did a private excursion. It was wonderful and so informative. These folks know their business.:)

I've booked a tour with walks of italy - taking the train to rome - didn't hear about the bus to the train station but will definitely investigate. there is actually a youtube video on how to get to the train station walking from the cruise ship :)

Gotta love youtube!!

Once we took a bus supplied by Princess from Civitavecchia to Rome and return, about 1/12 hrs each way.

While in Rome we were able to explore numerous sites on foot including the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum and others. Also had time to take the subway over to the Vatican, Castello D'Angelo. In between had time for lunch and a litre of red.

Long day, hot and lots of walking but so worthwhile.

Another vote for RomeInLimo. They have thousands of positive reviews from CruiseCritic members and on TripAdvisor. We saw so much in Rome using their tour and their tour guides are excellent. Check your roll call to see if someone has already set up an excursion with them.

Thanks everyone for your great help with this subject. We have been to Rome twice before and have done the tourist bit so with all this new info I think we will try the Train. It sounds reasonably easy and a little more adventurous. I have also seen a few you-tube clips that shows the free shuttle bus to the ports entrance. The roll call is very quiet at the moment but will also keep an eye on that as well.

Thanks everyone.:D

We did that many years ago, on Crystal, took bus in from the ship, then made our way back by train. Was easy to do that time.

We are older, did a day in to Rome on our own, a few years back on Princess, we ran out of steam earlier, as we are older, and Rome was over Run with tourist and locals, because it was May Day. Glad we visited may years earlier in the spring when less crowded.

May be someone can give you advice about the train based on recent experience. f

Yes I (we) have. If you don't care for anything structured and pricey from Princess, you too can easily get a shuttle bus from the ship to the train station. From there it's extremely easy to purchase roundtrip tickets into Rome's Termini station -- and a SPECTACULAR value actually. After that, just get your guide book and see the sights - enjoy!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I felt I had just had to add my experience of going it alone on the train. It was 7 years ago now but I don't believe much has changed. First the positive: The train station is very close to the port so I would recommend walking unless you have problems with mobility. The train was ridiculously cheap; 20 euros for a family of four! We travelled to Rome and back quite easily. The not so good: trains in Italy can be quite unreliable and apparently can be cancelled just like that. We had this problem with the trains from Livorno to Florence and of course all the announcements are in Italian, none in English so we had to ask when we suspected something was going on half way through our journey. We ended up getting 3 trains back to Livorno, got a taxi to the port and arrived back onboard with only 20 mins to spare.

Hope this is helpful.

Hi, I felt I had just had to add my experience of going it alone on the train. It was 7 years ago now but I don't believe much has changed. First the positive: The train station is very close to the port so I would recommend walking unless you have problems with mobility. The train was ridiculously cheap; 20 euros for a family of four! We travelled to Rome and back quite easily. The not so good: trains in Italy can be quite unreliable and apparently can be cancelled just like that. We had this problem with the trains from Livorno to Florence and of course all the announcements are in Italian, none in English so we had to ask when we suspected something was going on half way through our journey. We ended up getting 3 trains back to Livorno, got a taxi to the port and arrived back onboard with only 20 mins to spare.

Hope this is helpful.

Well, of course anything "can" happen. One could also rent a car or take a paid excursion shuttle/bus, run into a pile-up on the autostrada, and you "can" be delayed for hours.... The fickle finger of fate causes mishaps to happen anywhere and at any time; but they're the exceptions but not the rules. Being aware is prudent, but I always bet on the rules, and put much less concern in the anomaly of exceptions. I wouldn't hesitate one second to make rail plans almost anywhere in Europe.

Hi,what I would reccomend in this situation is to book a prepaid timeslot on the vatican and collosium websites if you intend going to these places.You go straight to the front of the line.Just make sure they are the official websites as there are a few similar looking ones to mislead you,cheers,Brian.

Our last trip to Rome we did the cruise line train into the city. We did that just in case there was a train issue, which is possible. We then took a HOHO in Rome. We were able to get to the locations we wanted to see, which were a few places off the beaten path. (We have been to Rome a few times before and have toured the big tourist spots.)

I agree with the suggestion that if you want to go to one of the big tourist places that you buy your tickets in advance. It makes things so much easier.

Ohiodoglover

We also did a private tour (RomeinLimo) and they were fantastic! I would book with them again!

We, like you, have used Rome in limo and were very pleased. We used them for Tuscany and the Amalfi coast as well. I believe that they offer their good services in Sicily as well. Frankly, I intend to use them whenever we are in Italy. They will put together small groups on their site.

We, like you, have used Rome in limo and were very pleased. We used them for Tuscany and the Amalfi coast as well. I believe that they offer their good services in Sicily as well. Frankly, I intend to use them whenever we are in Italy. They will put together small groups on their site.

We used Stefano Rome day tours and found them excellent. I think with any firm the secret is to check the reviews beforehand.

We were gonna do the train on our own on 6/18 but ended up going with a Princess excursion for the transportation security factor. It just wasn't worth it to us to risk missing the ship in the event of a delay, and the excursion provided us with 2 more hours in Rome than we would have had if we had chosen the train.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I use recommendations I research here on Cruise Critic and almost always book private guides/drivers everywhere we go. In Rome (and other ports in Italy) I've been very happy with Rome in Limo. Private trips are usually less than than ship sponsored excursions and really enjoyable because you can go where you want to go when you want to go and spend only as much time as you'd like at various locations. And, when it's time to eat, you can get into small neighborhood restaurants without any issues. If you can get another couple (or two) to travel with you it gets really inexpensive.