Spring is flight-changing season?

hapster85

I'm both amused and mildly annoyed. Over the past month, we've had multiple flight changes on multiple airlines. It's like they all have spring fever.

First the amusing. Our nonstop United SDF-EWR flight has had 3 times changes, from 6:28 am to 6:25 to 6:20. Maybe someone in scheduling is bored. Lol

Second, the mildly annoying. Delta changed the first leg of our SDF-ATL-HOU flight. Different flight #, different aircraft. No big deal, but it now leaves an hour and a half earlier, which means I will now need to take off work the night before, and have a 3 hour layover in ATL. I could reschedule at no charge, but the options were less than ideal, so we'll make do.

A week later, the same thing happened with our American EWR-ORD-SDF flight. First leg moved to a different flight and smaller aircraft, losing our premium seats (refunded), and leaving an hour and a half earlier. Double the layover time in ORD, unable to take Manhattan post-cruise tour.

This one, I did take advantage of the offer to reschedule. Leaving later now, still able to take the tour, BUT now routing through CLT with only a 35 layover. Normally, that's way under my comfort level, but we're fine if we don't make it. The post-cruise high will see us through. Lol

Flights change all the time. Spring is not special. Times are changed for a huge number of reasons....you could write a rather long book.

Your first flight example is minimal, and most likely has to do with gate or landing slots at a very busy airport (EWR). There are limited slots in both, and are frequently heavily booked.

I have had multiple changes on flights for an upcoming trip.

That is par for the course these days.

Happens all the time with USA based airlines in particular.

I like more time for a layover due to the unknown so for me I would welcome that.

Keith

Flights change all the time. Spring is not special. Times are changed for a huge number of reasons....you could write a rather long book.

Your first flight example is minimal, and most likely has to do with gate or landing slots at a very busy airport (EWR). There are limited slots in both, and are frequently heavily booked.

The reference to spring was tongue in cheek. I found the changes for the flight into EWR amusing because I've worked on a ramp for 30 years. No matter what it says on paper, minimal changes like that will have zero effect on the actual arrival of the flight.

I like more time for a layover due to the unknown so for me I would welcome that.

The original hour and thirty layovers factored into my choosing those particular flights. I'd call that the sweet spot for me. It was probably the other factors that annoyed me. I didn't want to have to take the extra day off in October for the Delta flight. We were really looking forward to the tour of Manhattan in July, but the change on the American flight interfered with that.

Honestly, if those two things hadn't happened within such a short time frame, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about either one. But that's life. Just have to roll with it.

Silly question, sorry, but I don't fly that often... do the airlines always notify you when they make these changes? Or do you find out from checking them online?

I've never got a notification when my flights are changed.

Silly question, sorry, but I don't fly that often... do the airlines always notify you when they make these changes? Or do you find out from checking them online?

I am a FF with American and I usually receive e mail notices, but I still check regularly on line.

I cannot even remember the last time that I took a trip that did not have some kind of change. I usually book way in advance.

The United flight, no. I was only aware by checking the status via app and seeing it listed as "wait listed". Had to go to the full site and acknowledge the change.

American notified me several days after I'd already noticed it via app. The same with the Delta flight. Interestingly enough, it was over a week later that ChoiceAir (Air2Sea) notified me about the Delta flight.

I check the status of my flights about once a week. I want to know about changes as soon as possible, and monitoring them seems to be the best way to do it.

The United flight, no. I was only aware by checking the status via app and seeing it listed as "wait listed". Had to go to the full site and acknowledge the change.

American notified me several days after I'd already noticed it via app. The same with the Delta flight. Interestingly enough, it was over a week later that ChoiceAir (Air2Sea) notified me about the Delta flight.

I check the status of my flights about once a week. I want to know about changes as soon as possible, and monitoring them seems to be the best way to do it.

This is in line with our experience. I check our flights 1-2 times per week, more often for very near future flights, as United will tell you in your reservation when there are changes, and requires you to acknowledge the changes.

I am a FF with American and I usually receive e mail notices, but I still check regularly on line.

I usually receive schedule change notices by EMail too from AA and DL.

I cannot even remember the last time that I took a trip that did not have some kind of change. I usually book way in advance.

Same for me on both counts of schedule changes and booking way in advance. Most of the time I welcome the schedule changes, since often I can rebook from a flight with a connection to a non-stop flight. Or I can refine my schedule, especially when using miles for flights.

I do the majority of my domestic flying on American and they always alert me.

Recently, I flew Frontier and they alerted me twice - once when the flight number changed (same flight times), and then when the times changed by a few minutes.

Thanks for all the great answers. What's the best way to check? Do I just go on the website and do a search for flights like I'm buying?

We are flying Air Canada and United.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I use the airline apps and booking confirmations to track my flights on my phone. The apps make it pretty easy to do, with or without an account. I think there are also some all-in-one apps out there, too.

What's the best way to check? Do I just go on the website and do a search for flights like I'm buying?

Are you talking about checking for changes to your itinerary? Just get the airline app, create an account and log in. You'll be able to click on any itineraries you have booked and check the flight status, seat selection etc.

Are you talking about checking for changes to your itinerary? Just get the airline app, create an account and log in. You'll be able to click on any itineraries you have booked and check the flight status, seat selection etc.

Unfortunately, neither of the airlines I am flying have an app. Frustrating.

Unfortunately, neither of the airlines I am flying have an app. Frustrating.

Happy to say that I was wrong about that. Oddly, neither of them would show up in an extensive search in the Apple App store. But when I searched for them through the browser they came up, so I just installed them from there. So weird.

Thanks everyone. This is definitely a lot easier than using the website.

Happy to say that I was wrong about that. Oddly, neither of them would show up in an extensive search in the Apple App store. But when I searched for them through the browser they came up, so I just installed them from there. So weird.

Thanks everyone. This is definitely a lot easier than using the website.

Even on American? Usually I open the AP then go to the website.

You do realize we are talking about signing into you FF account and checking under My Trips, right?

Edited by jagoffee

Even on American? Usually I open the AP then go to the website.

You do realize we are talking about signing into you FF account and checking under My Trips, right?

Actually it's Air Canada and United and I was trying to get the Apps through the Apple App Store, but they were nowhere to be found. But I found them by doing internet searches and getting them that way, so it all worked out.

I don't even have a FF account with either of them, but it doesn't matter because both apps work fine for what I need. Easy to open them up and check my flights. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app