London to Copenhagen Jun 2015 Complete Itinerary Change

sthygesen

I was just got an email from my travel agent on Friday that the segment we signed up for from London to Copenhagen in June 2015 has had a complete change of itinerary. The only stops that are the same are London (embark) and Copenhagen (disembark).

At the bottom of the notice from Regent it said "Guests who wish to cancel their cruise, or cancel and rebook another voyage, will be subject to any cancelation penalties as per standard policy."

I have a hard time believing that we would be charged a cancelation fee when they completely changed the itinerary from the Baltic to Ireland. I have no interest in cruising Ireland, so I'm not very happy. They didn't change the itinerary because they don't want to go to the Baltic, because the voyage after Copenhagen goes to the Baltic stops that we'd signed up for. I would like to know if I'm going to be charged the $100 cancelation fee?

Edited by sthygesen

Contact Regent directly and let them know your intentions. If they still want to charge you (B.S.), then write an email to their big dog Mr. Kunal Kamlani (kkamlaniatprestigecruiseholdingsdotcom) explaining the situation. I recently wrote regarding charges we incurred when changing our reservation due to a change in number of sailing days for our SFO to Vancouver cruise and was provided with OBC. Granted, it can be a little hard to spend OBC in Regent, but I'm sure that DW will end up with new jewelry.

El Cid 82

you could also consider cancelling, they charge you the fee, then you book the itinerary you want and then have that cancel fee applied to your new booking, as that fee is applicable to any new cruise booked within a year of the cancel, so in the end, you use it toward another cruise.

What an irony! I've just (within the past 10 minutes) finalized the airfare for an Oceania cruise with roughly the same dates. This cruise is much closer to what I wanted - an around Britain that doesn't go to the Baltic). If you had posted this Friday night or Saturday morning, we would have canceled the Oceania cruise and booked this one.

To each his own taste!

I empathize with the OP. Although the cruise is still 10 months away, sometimes it is not as simple as just cancelling and finding another cruise. I often use miles to get to the cruise. I have to lock flights in almost a year in advance or I'll have no opportunity. Changing to different dates will mean cost and most likely no availability. I would certainly be seeking consideration from Regent, via my TA, if what happened to you happened to me despite "the rules".

Thanks for the information el cid 82. I didn't have time to contact my TA today, but left her a message this evening. I hope to talk to her tomorrow! Hopefully I won't need to email the big dog but it's good to have the information just in case!

I found another cruise on Silver Seas that is going to the Baltic just a couple of days later than our original cruise on Regent, so that might work for us! Bonus.. it's a little less expensive. I was planning on booking a private tour in St. Petersburg anyway. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't charge us the cancellation fee since it's such a drastic change of itinerary. Thanks again!

Edited by sthygesen

To Lvtocruise2,

Regent is going to St. Petersburg in June, but changed the voyage that we'd booked to Ireland. The next voyage is going to St. P after Copenhagen. I hadn't heard that St. P was getting cancelled. If so I wonder if Silver Seas will cancel too? Does anyone have intel on that?

To joan and joe,

I wish I'd had a chance to post it earlier too. I love Regent and we had a great cabin... like you said to each their own! I hope you have a great cruise on Oceania.

The important thing is that you did post, so thanks. We're considering cancelling Oceania and going with this cruise, and have a hold on a suite for this cruise.

I believe that the cruise lines are cutting St. Petersburg cruises because many people don't want to go to Russia because of the Ukraine situation. You can agree or disagree with them; but if 10 or 15% od St. Pete cruisers cancel, the cruise lines will change a cruise or two to some other route.

The important thing is that you did post, so thanks. We're considering cancelling Oceania and going with this cruise, and have a hold on a suite for this cruise.

I believe that the cruise lines are cutting St. Petersburg cruises because many people don't want to go to Russia because of the Ukraine situation. You can agree or disagree with them; but if 10 or 15% od St. Pete cruisers cancel, the cruise lines will change a cruise or two to some other route.

Before you change from Oceania make sure Regent won't change the itinerary again. There's still ten months left.

Just to close the loop. I heard from my TA and Regent is not going to charge us the $100 cancellation fee for the voyage that they changed the itinerary. We are still going on the 1st segment from Lisbon to London. Now I'm looking into perhaps taking Silver Seas to the Baltic, but I'm a little worried that Silver Seas might change the itinerary. Do itinerary changes like what happened with Regent happen very often?

I don't think that Regent changes itineraries often. I noticed several itinerary changes this year with both Regent and Silversea on itineraries that include areas in and near the Baltics as well as some ports in the Middle East.

P.S. Sounds like you have a good TA!

Edited by Travelcat2

With Russia now having invaded Ukraine things might only get worse, I, for one, would not book any cruise that stops in Russia for the time being and, imo, a Baltic cruise without St. Petersburg is not worthwhile.

Gee, maybe they'll go back to a nice Norwegian Fjord itinerary more often!

Great idea but have you checked the price of those itineraries. Definitely outside of my budget. We were extremely fortunate that our Beijing cruise overbooked and that we were offered the Scandinavian/Baltic itinerary. It was magnificent but very pricey.

Note: Just tried to look up the itinerary(ies) for 2015. The rssc.com "Find a Cruise" isn't working for me (only 18 results for 2014 and 2015 appeared). Anyone else having a problem?

Edited by Travelcat2

Great idea but have you checked the price of those itineraries. Definitely outside of my budget. ...

Me too. But that's true of all of Regent's prices, on all its cruises (and yes, Scandinavia has always been extra pricey.) Guess I'm thinking other lines might do the same, like Oceania perhaps. I now can't imagine paying Regent's prices, except perhaps to Alaska.

Actually, having spent several days in SP on our own we are very disappointed in the change of itinerary. Bruges/Ghent was going to be a highlight, Helsinki was intriguing and despite the horror we wanted to see the concentration camp in Gdansk. Disagree with wripro that SP makes the Baltic.

I agree that St. Petersburg is the highlight of the Baltic or perhaps the highlight of Russia. On our last cruise we stopped in Murmansk, Russia and Petropavlosk, Russia last year and were unimpressed with both stops. We have been to St. Petersburg twice and still have not seen everything we would like to see. I'm sure that Bruges is lovely and Helsinki was a highlight of our cruise last month, however, missing SP would be a great loss IMO.

Note: There was one thing we did not like about St. Petersburg -- the new port which is too far out of town. The traffic was horrendous. Smaller ships that are dock in town are very fortunate.

Before you change from Oceania make sure Regent won't change the itinerary again. There's still ten months left.

We took a chance and booked the new itinerary. If Regent changes again, we'll go to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, rather than changing to another Spring, 2015 cruise.

Now the web site gives two South Pacific cruises rather than 18 cruises.

We took a chance and booked the new itinerary. If Regent changes again, we'll go to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, rather than changing to another Spring, 2015 cruise.

Now the web site gives two South Pacific cruises rather than 18 cruises.

:D :D :D We LOVE Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks.

Hopefully Regent will not have to change their itineraries again.