My View: First Semi-Live From Oasis - The Cruise that almost didn't happen!

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever sat with strangers and had a good experience and would recommend it? My husband is the extrovert and I'm sure would love it. I on the other hand don't know how I feel about it...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes! With our last table of eight, we met a Danish couple (the husband worked for NATO), a couple from NJ, and Russians living in South Carolina. An eclectic group with a range of ages, but we all got along great.

I'm not incredibly outgoing, but didn't have a problem with the group. A larger table is definitely better...you can still have quiet convos with your partner.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm thinking we should try sitting with a group. Only been on one carnival cruise with only my husband and I and we had MTD and they always sat us just at a table for two. I think maybe sitting with others might be interesting. And I guess you can always request a change of table if you don't like it... oasis dining room looks amazing! Excited!

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm thinking we should try sitting with a group. Only been on one carnival cruise with only my husband and I and we had MTD and they always sat us just at a table for two. I think maybe sitting with others might be interesting. And I guess you can always request a change of table if you don't like it... oasis dining room looks amazing! Excited!

If you decide to switch to traditional dining, and want to sit with others, then I would make use of the rcldining@rccl.com email address and request a table size of 6 or 8. I'd make that request around 3 weeks before the cruise.

If you decide to switch to traditional dining, and want to sit with others, then I would make use of the rcldining@rccl.com email address and request a table size of 6 or 8. I'd make that request around 3 weeks before the cruise.

Thanks! Yes, we are booked for traditional 530 seating on the oasis already. Was mentioning a past carnival cruise where we did MTD. I will make sure to email them around 3 weeks before.

The email address for dining requests is for traditional dining. With MTD, it is assumed you want your own table. They won't put you with anyone else unless you request it.

Great - thank you!

More beautiful views from Central Park:

7355e72ba31e2f089aebe6e699c99727.jpg

c8cc8abe1aa2b7f3f16a92a18d56c410.jpg

a5d5e3a20ef1d057c695020ff3c49205.jpg

d8c29c17994ee8096a4a9e68b0827360.jpg

Here is one of the "secret" extended CP balconies (those ending in 229 or 629):

9cf242477d0dfa40138de3a3804f7df8.jpg

I have a question for you regarding the "secret" extended balcony of 229 and 629. Is that for every deck? I ask because this is the first I have heard of it and I have 10229 booked on Symphony next Oct. to sail the Mediterranean. :halo:

I have a question for you regarding the "secret" extended balcony of 229 and 629. Is that for every deck? I ask because this is the first I have heard of it and I have 10229 booked on Symphony next Oct. to sail the Mediterranean. :halo:

I am pretty sure it is for every deck of Central Park balconies, but I know for sure that 10229 is extended on Oasis - I assume that would not have changed for Symphony. Enjoy! You chose the right cabin :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

PS: Here is a thread with pictures. The only complaint is the noise that may come from the steward storage closet next door. To us, it would not be a problem at all, as we are early risers. Some people say the noise is bad, others say they did not hear noise at all...

Personally, I would love the extra balcony room!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1692858

PS: Here is a thread with pictures. The only complaint is the noise that may come from the steward storage closet next door. To us, it would not be a problem at all, as we are early risers. Some people say the noise is bad, others say they did not hear noise at all...

Personally, I would love the extra balcony room!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1692858

Thank you so very much. I truly enjoyed your review and I am so glad I ran across it.

I hope your husband has continued to improve.

How far out is recommended to email them and let them know your table preferences if you have traditional dining?

Its my opinion, just based on observation that this varies from ship to ship quite a bit. My advise is, sent the email while your thinking about it, then sometime on boarding day walk through the dining room and check your table assignment and if not what you want, look for a person to talk to to change.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever sat with strangers and had a good experience and would recommend it? My husband is the extrovert and I'm sure would love it. I on the other hand don't know how I feel about it...

Have always requested a large table and have been seated with strangers. Some have been more fun than others. We have only had one sub-par experience and that was because of language. The Headwaiter found us another table. RCCL seems to pare people well.

We met our best cruising buddies by being seated with them in January of 2010. We have been cruising together when possible every since. We will all be together on Aug. 20 on OA.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you! I am bookmarking this! We going on Oasis in October - same itinerary - and this has been so thorough and helpful!!

Question for anyone: I noticed the same wine (Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc) was a different price in several pix. Sometimes it was $13, another time it was $17. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Is one bar a more premium experience, perhaps? Thanks!!

We are also booked for October 2017 cruise on Oasis. Can't wait

Hi, Bob & Nancy! We arrived at about 10:05. There was no line for drop off. We were through security and completely checked in by about 10:30. Diamond boarded around 11:05. :)

Thanks for the info. Have not used the new terminal yet.

Sitting in it now. Diamond section very empty. Maybe there will be less Diamond members this week than last month & the DL will be less crowded. Check-in this early was quick as usual.

Sitting in it now. Diamond section very empty. Maybe there will be less Diamond members this week than last month & the DL will be less crowded. Check-in this early was quick as usual.

Nice! Enjoy your cruise!

We kept checking to go back on Oasis this month, but booking for 3 is either sold out or outrageous in price.

This summer, cruises are much more booked than it was last summer. Last July, we had a couple of options under $3,000 for 3 in a balcony. This year, I can't find anything. The cruise industry must be happy [emoji846]

Sorry to hear you were checking but didn't come up with a good price. I've never had to book anything other than two people so I'm guessing booking for 3 is slightly more complicated although roughly $1000pp for balcony and a few hundred less for interior have been my target prices. I knew this deal was a fluke. We met a couple last night who were new to RCI and were shocked to hear how much less we paid. So I gave them some basic tips like explaining the guarantee category and encouraging them to be flexible since they also live in Orlando like we do.

BTW, I won't be reviewing until after we get home but I know you guys liked the solarium bistro. We've enjoyed breakfast/lunch there and there was nothing wrong with the one dinner we had there but I found the concept a little odd. More to come in my review. DL is calling (which is far far less crowded than when we cruised together).

Sorry to hear you were checking but didn't come up with a good price. I've never had to book anything other than two people so I'm guessing booking for 3 is slightly more complicated although roughly $1000pp for balcony and a few hundred less for interior have been my target prices. I knew this deal was a fluke. We met a couple last night who were new to RCI and were shocked to hear how much less we paid. So I gave them some basic tips like explaining the guarantee category and encouraging them to be flexible since they also live in Orlando like we do.

BTW, I won't be reviewing until after we get home but I know you guys liked the solarium bistro. We've enjoyed breakfast/lunch there and there was nothing wrong with the one dinner we had there but I found the concept a little odd. More to come in my review. DL is calling (which is far far less crowded than when we cruised together).

Thanks for keeping in touch, Mike. Definitely looking forward to your review! Great idea to share booking tips with the new couple. I have learned so much from other CC members too. Yes, booking for 3 is challenging on RC, especially with a school schedule -which is why we book quite in advance.

Enjoy DL! We have about 19 weeks until our next cruise. [emoji846]

@APDMOM - this review was absolutely fabulous! Hubby & I will be on Oasis in Sept. and your review has got me all kinds of excited!! Thanks so much for being so detailed and for taking the time. One day, I hope to be able to "pay-it-forward" and author a review as detailed as this.

Thank you again!!

@APDMOM - this review was absolutely fabulous! Hubby & I will be on Oasis in Sept. and your review has got me all kinds of excited!! Thanks so much for being so detailed and for taking the time. One day, I hope to be able to "pay-it-forward" and author a review as detailed as this.

Thank you again!!

You are welcome, kba1988! Hope your cruise exceeds your expectations :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to report that my personal favorite breakfast item is available everywhere- Smoked Salmon :)

You have no idea how happy you just made me. I was looking at having breakfast separate from my friend that I'm traveling with because I *must* have my smoked salmon at breakfast but she wants her omelette, so we were figuring I'd be limited to the Windjammer. YAY!:D

I'm a major introvert and I've always been at a community table. My husband was a big extrovert as is my friend who I travel with now. I kinda just go with it. It's never been a bad experience.

Thanks for your awesome review! And your photos are incredible! What camera are you using?

On this cruise, I used my Nikon Coolpix P900 most of the time - some are iPhone pics, and a few are Nikon Coolpix S9900 [emoji846]

Thank you for reading along!

On this cruise, I used my Nikon Coolpix P900 most of the time - some are iPhone pics, and a few are Nikon Coolpix S9900 [emoji846]

Thank you for reading along!

I have the P600 and was just looking at the P900 last week! How funny!